13527 207 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to DroneDJI, DJI has cancelled their July 18th "See the Bigger Picture" event.

https://dronedj.com/2018/07/05/d ... innovation-factors/

Looks like its not just Autel and Parrot that are having a hard time finalizing products....

I hope there isn't too much of a delay!

Here is a video where I discuss my thoughts on the delay...

2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good find KG - now I can enjoy my Mavic Air for longer and get my monies worth!
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 12:28
Good find KG - now I can enjoy my Mavic Air for longer and get my monies worth!

Agree with you A CW, I will be enjoying more my Tello !

Thanks for the Updates Kloo Gee !
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 12:34
Agree with you A CW, I will be enjoying more my Tello !

Thanks for the Updates Kloo Gee !

TBH mate I don't really need another new drone - I've sold more than I've bought this year. The MA will be enough for quite sometime. Shame about the event though as I've advised loads on here to wait before buying an MA or MP. Oh well. ;)
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for your inquiry, as of the moment we haven't received any information or updates in regards with this events, please pay attention to our website in any case that we will be having events as well.
2018-7-5
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 12:36
TBH mate I don't really need another new drone - I've sold more than I've bought this year. The MA will be enough for quite sometime. Shame about the event though as I've advised loads on here to wait before buying an MA or MP. Oh well. ;)

I agree, I've told most people asking me what to buy that they should wait until July 18th unless they absolutely need something right now.  I guess that advice changes now until DJI announces a new date.
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 12:36
TBH mate I don't really need another new drone - I've sold more than I've bought this year. The MA will be enough for quite sometime. Shame about the event though as I've advised loads on here to wait before buying an MA or MP. Oh well. ;)

Maybe it was done on purpose.

In Business the More Anxious the Customers are, the more Sales Increase as they will search and talk about it more and more.

Marketing Strategies.

2018-7-5
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks KlooGee.  While it's not going to affect me personally, I feel bad for all of those people that I've told to "just wait until the 18th and see what's next before you buy anything."  
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

KlooGee Posted at 2018-7-5 12:43
I agree, I've told most people asking me what to buy that they should wait until July 18th unless they absolutely need something right now.  I guess that advice changes now until DJI announces a new date.

Don't worry Kloo Gee, it won't be your fault. People will understand.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2018-7-5 12:43

Yeah - get what they like I say Nobody told me what to buy!
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 12:43
Maybe it was done on purpose.

In Business the More Anxious the Customers are, the more Sales Increase as they will search and talk about it more and more.

That is definitely a possibility but still doesn't add up mate given the release of solid competitor drones that are finally not falling out of the sky and up for sale today.
The longer DJI leave this next release the more customers may switch. It's a big gamble if that is their motive.
I think they just do not have the drone ready as yet or the distribution lines are not ready - remember people were waiting 2-3 months to take delivery of the original MP in 2016 - they'll just cancel now and buy 'something else'.
I'm sure it will be soon - I hope so anyway.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i hate this f**cking thread.... i hate fanboyism so much, can you guys stop stroking Dji off ?    dji like any other company needs to continue to innovate, meet and exceed goals and need to not get caught up with complacency.

just look at Apple computers if you want a good insight into what a lack of innovation does to a company.. they are behind in computer design and tech compared to almost any other computer company, no touch screens, no tablets, no foldable designs.. just same rehashed designs from 5+ years ago, made thinner and more space grey with a touch bar that's 1/4 inch wide.  they are outclassed by many other brands and makers now a days and have very little keep people coming back.

look at Intel (computer processors) if you want an idea of what complacency does to a company.  AMD has completely shook up the industry again and making intel release products they can't even complete properly and have to dig into there other product lines and rename like xeons are becoming i9's just to compete with AMD threadripper and Ryzen..and intel is readily losing market share and becomign the laughing stock.  hell the role between AMD and Intel have flipped, intel now runs hot, loud and draws tons of power AMD doesn't.

soon dji will fall into 1 or 2 of these areas,  even if they continue to play dirty by limiting the market, someone will find a way in and push back...

dont say things like dji doesnt need to do this or it is ok cuz i like my drone enuff ..blh blah.. beat dji for it and hold dji to a higher standard if you like the company, dont pander to a company with 10s of billions of dollars, they arent a mom and pop start up that need excuses...
2018-7-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

DJI has no competition what-so-ever in the market.  They're 2 maybe 3 years ahead of any of the others so can afford to get things right without rushing.
That and the July 18th event could be ANYTHING.  People are guessing its a new drone, it might not be.  Or might be a new inspire, or a new camera.  Nobody knows.
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 12:57
That is definitely a possibility but still doesn't add up mate given the release of solid competitor drones that are finally not falling out of the sky and up for sale today.
The longer DJI leave this next release the more customers may switch. It's a big gamble if that is their motive.
I think they just do not have the drone ready as yet or the distribution lines are not ready - remember people were waiting 2-3 months to take delivery of the original MP in 2016 - they'll just cancel now and buy 'something else'.

Make much sense.

Still I think that other drones don't have the Reputation of DJI.

Would I risk spending Euro1000 and over on a New Comer ? Maybe when I see Solid Facts Yes, but is Autel a Stronger Brand than DJI ?

Sometimes as a Photographer I see this happen in DSLR Camera, the companies know what the Clients and asking for and they have a Secret Wishlist Monitoring them. They release a New Product with only some features so that the next model they will release some more and the Sales continue Rolling.

There is a saying - ''When you leave the dog hungry, he will follow.''

2018-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Well, I expect there must be some pressure on them to get this 100% right, with two little biters biting at their heels.

“You don't go into battle because you're sure of victory. You go into battle because it's the right thing to do.”
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:04
Make much sense.

Still I think that other drones don't have the Reputation of DJI.

For sure mate - I won't be swapping but there are (as you can read all over this forum) a lot of DJI haters out there.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-5 13:04
DJI has no competition what-so-ever in the market.  They're 2 maybe 3 years ahead of any of the others so can afford to get things right without rushing.
That and the July 18th event could be ANYTHING.  People are guessing its a new drone, it might not be.  Or might be a new inspire, or a new camera.  Nobody knows.

there is competition a the competition isn't nearly as big as Dji..   but one good example is Autel, they are a tiny company compared to Dji. same with typhoon, not huge by really any measure,  but they are competing, im sure there are other companies that are tiny and trying their hardest.  also brands like parrot, but sadly parrot backed off from competing as closely.  not sure why, i sense probably legal reasons as to why they not pushed into Dji's territory as much as they were attempting to.

as for the argument they are ahead by X number of years.. not really true, autel is effectively a hybrid mavic pro/mavic air with its settings and features being offered, hell it even offers 4K 60fps at 100mbps.

dji uses mostly off the shelf parts that are rebadged for them, i doubt dji will be rolling their own chips, last time i checked dji doesn't work that closely with silicon fabs,
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 12:59
i hate this f**cking thread.... i hate fanboyism so much, can you guys stop stroking Dji off ?    dji like any other company needs to continue to innovate, meet and exceed goals and need to not get caught up with complacency.

just look at Apple computers if you want a good insight into what a lack of innovation does to a company.. they are behind in computer design and tech compared to almost any other computer company, no touch screens, no tablets, no foldable designs.. just same rehashed designs from 5+ years ago, made thinner and more space grey with a touch bar that's 1/4 inch wide.  they are outclassed by many other brands and makers now a days and have very little keep people coming back.

Hereforthebeer, I agree with you as well, and I think when we start seeing people moving from one brand to another, people will start weighing the difference between Brands.

Its Human Nature that people are cautious before jumping on a New Brand, people need to see facts rather than speculation. We are talking about big amounts of money for me to buy a Drone, so I try to make a lot of research before buying. I am sure most people do the same as they work hard to earn that amount of cash.

I both DJI Drones as I saw that they have the most Reliable Brand my money can buy. Just my opinion.

2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:11
there is competition a the competition isn't nearly as big as Dji..   but one good example is Autel, they are a tiny company compared to Dji. same with typhoon, not huge by really any measure,  but they are competing, im sure there are other companies that are tiny and trying their hardest.  also brands like parrot, but sadly parrot backed off from competing as closely.  not sure why, i sense probably legal reasons as to why they not pushed into Dji's territory as much as they were attempting to.

as for the argument they are ahead by X number of years.. not really true, autel is effectively a hybrid mavic pro/mavic air with its settings and features being offered, hell it even offers 4K 60fps at 100mbps.

You have a point there HFTB.

But again, you said Autel is a Small Company, if I give you a choice to spend Euro 1000 on a Drone, will you choose DJI or Autel ?  Be Honest.

You know that DJI is far the biggest company in the Drone Industry. In my opinion I am more willing to invest my Money in a Big Company which gives me some sort of Security.

Just like Apple,  I have a Samsung and people complain a lot about Samsung Crashed and bla bla bla. I thought maybe it wasn't the case, so I bought the S8+ and still I see bugs. With Apple I don't see bugs, they maybe have an Old Style IOS but its Reliable. I feel better using Apple than Samsung.

After all every person has different opinions, thats what makes the World go round....

2018-7-5
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-5 13:04

In some aspects they are ahead, but in others they themselves are years behind companies producing drones like this one:
And I think the main problem for DJI is software.
2018-7-5
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Really!?!? Oh come on DJI we've waited long enough...
2018-7-5
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:19

But again, you said Autel is a Small Company, if I give you a choice to spend Euro 1000 on a Drone, will you choose DJI or Autel ?  Be Honest.

The great thing is that there are some reasonable choices in the market right now.  If one isn't interested in buying a DJI product (for whatever reason), they have other options that will probably do a great job for them.  For you buying a product from a big company is a good thing.  For someone else, buying a product from a smaller company is a good thing.  I'm sure when DJI does come out with whatever their new product is, it is going to be great.  In the meantime, I'm going to go fly my Mavic Air and whatever this mysterious thing is....

2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:19

But again, you said Autel is a Small Company, if I give you a choice to spend Euro 1000 on a Drone, will you choose DJI or Autel ?  Be Honest.

autel is tiny company compared to dji.  comparing Dji to Autel is nothing like comparing samsung to apple.    dji vs autel is more like Apple vs BLU.  ya maybe alot of money there, but one is on a completely insane scale vs the other.

if you gave me $1000 what would i buy in terms of drones..?  interesting thought... probably be a tie between a used inspire 1 V2.0 w/extras or an Autel evo.  probably not exactly what you were hoping or expected but that's the truth.  
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

KlooGee Posted at 2018-7-5 13:25
The great thing is that there are some reasonable choices in the market right now.  If one isn't interested in buying a DJI product (for whatever reason), they have other options that will probably do a great job for them.  For you buying a product from a big company is a good thing.  For someone else, buying a product from a smaller company is a good thing.  I'm sure when DJI does come out with whatever their new product is, it is going to be great.  In the meantime, I'm going to go fly my Mavic Air and whatever this mysterious thing is....

[view_image]

Thats why I wrote -

''After all every person has different opinions, thats what makes the World go round....''

If I buy a Drone and spend so much money I will see what suits me first, not rely my purchase on what others suggest. I will combine that information together, think, make the maths, and then move forward. Just like @A CW said and I agree and trust that Mate so much !!!

Reviews help, but there are Genuine and Honest and Others that are Paid Reviews around, where the Reviewers are Receiving FREE Items to make Reviews and some are also Paid Money to encourage People in buying their Products, putting links in their Description to earn Comissions from their Advertisements, Gain Money from Views, Get Advert Money, Donations etc...

This is 'MOSTLY' Business after all.

2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:33
Thats why I wrote -

''After all every person has different opinions, thats what makes the World go round....''

on last bit of what you said... this is sadly something dji does participate in, not paid reviews but they do shower reviewers in freebies if they recieve favorable reviews.  

many companies do this so read into it however you wish, but it is a point to concern.   some people will just join the hype train with reviews and not really review it properly just make it seem exciting, do some "tests" and show it off then end the video without actually really making good points about negitives and usually the negitives are just "may have to carry a spare battery" or "bring a portable charger".  im not going to list names, but several big youtubers that do this..
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:29
autel is tiny company compared to dji.  comparing Dji to Autel is nothing like comparing samsung to apple.    dji vs autel is more like Apple vs BLU.  ya maybe alot of money there, but one is on a completely insane scale vs the other.

if you gave me $1000 what would i buy in terms of drones..?  interesting thought... probably be a tie between a used inspire 1 V2.0 w/extras or an Autel evo.  probably not exactly what you were hoping or expected but that's the truth.

Still you considered DJI ?

Thats what I am talking about, if you don't believe in DJI, why you go for Inspire and not the Autel EVO straight away ?

This shows that you are Undecided... I have nothing against this, as I am thinking same like you.

When these Small Companies start growing, and we hear more and more about the Goods and Cons, then it will be the Time for Change.

I that cannot risk putting my Money in Small Companies, won't risk my $1000 on a New Brand. Too risky for me.

This happens a lot in every day life, on almost everything. You need to taste it yourself to comment. If you never had an Autel, how can you say that it is better than DJI ?

I made a comparison between Apple and Android as Android has a far nicer OS than Apple, so I bought an Android but then when I compared reliability, I found 'MYSELF' that the Apple Users where right, that Apple is Far More Reliable ! I have compared lots of things like connections, bugs, wifi, bluetooth and Apple was always Flawless. Again I tell you that this is my Honest Opinion as I have even Windows Phones which are total cra p! Windows Phones need a Restart every 12 hours to work ok.... But thats a long story, their App Store doesnt even support Ebay imagine !

Nice talking to you Brother !

2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:43
on last bit of what you said... this is sadly something dji does participate in, not paid reviews but they do shower reviewers in freebies if they recieve favorable reviews.  

many companies do this so read into it however you wish, but it is a point to concern.   some people will just join the hype train with reviews and not really review it properly just make it seem exciting, do some "tests" and show it off then end the video without actually really making good points about negitives and usually the negitives are just "may have to carry a spare battery" or "bring a portable charger".  im not going to list names, but several big youtubers that do this..

Again I agree with you 1000%+.

That Hype Train comments was Spot On ! Thats what I was trying to say, sorry for my English, as I am Maltese and its just my Second Language so I am not that Fluent.

2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:44
Still you considered DJI ?

Thats what I am talking about, if you don't believe in DJI, why you go for Inspire and not the Autel EVO straight away ?

the only reason i considered dji is lack of alternatives, and my sheer curiosity of the inspire type of drones.

when you say something like not wanting to risk $1000 drone.... consider how people feel that had their mavic pro and mavic air and other dji products fly away.  i never fully experienced it, but i can imagine its gut wrenching.  

im not denying dji makes fantastic products, i own a mavic pro and love it.  i'm just saying, they are worth 10s of billions of dollars,  we need to hold them to a higher standard if we genuinely love them as a company and not let them just let them brush things under the rug and hide from us..  they have no excuse when they have this much money to not do something they announced.   you know the old saying.. give them an inch and they take a mile.. huge companies are the most guilty of this.  autel i can let slide because they are tiny compared to dji they have less resources and access.

as for ios vs android vs windows mobile thing that's almost its own debate entirely...  that probably only going to make this more confusing specially for people looking into this thread when researching drones one day.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 13:46
Again I agree with you 1000%+.

That Hype Train comments was Spot On ! Thats what I was trying to say, sorry for my English, as I am Maltese and its just my Second Language so I am not that Fluent.

no worries, i understood you completely
2018-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Good spot (or catch)!   Bummer that DJI has to delay annoucement.  

At same time, better to delay it, and get things right than not so.

Thumbs up DJI for making right call!  
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:56
Good spot (or catch)!   Bummer that DJI has to delay annoucement.  

At same time, better to delay it, and get things right than not so.

i agree with first half of your comment, disagree with second half of your statement..  

until dji makes an official statement its hard to gauge why they may have delayed or canceled the event.
2018-7-5
Use props
ShadyDealer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Shame, was wanting to part with some more cash on a MP2! Had a buyer lined up for my MVP or Air! No hard shame, I’ll wait.
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:56
no worries, i understood you completely

Thank you Sir !

2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-7-5 13:22
In some aspects they are ahead, but in others they themselves are years behind companies producing drones like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scpcG5Re0-M

this is true.. skydio R1 is amazing concept and very good execution! i want one because of its tech.    however it has one problem that is keeping dji ahead of them, that is the price of the R1 is $2,500.
2018-7-5
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:53
the only reason i considered dji is lack of alternatives, and my sheer curiosity of the inspire type of drones.

when you say something like not wanting to risk $1000 drone.... consider how people feel that had their mavic pro and mavic air and other dji products fly away.  i never fully experienced it, but i can imagine its gut wrenching.  

I just wanted to name those phones just as an example when I relied on reviews. Sorry about that.

You know when Autel will get my Thumbs Up, when I see lots of people honest reviews and we start comparing Facts, until then I won't know how well this company can be.

After all with Serious Competition then ones who will really gain will be us, the Customers.

2018-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-7-5 13:22
In some aspects they are ahead, but in others they themselves are years behind companies producing drones like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scpcG5Re0-M

That would be a heck of a drone if body was ruggedized with plastic used to make drones shown several years ago on Game of Drones.  Ramming into other drones, breaking through glass windows, drops to ground, and getting shotgunned.
2018-7-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:59
i agree with first half of your comment, disagree with second half of your statement..  

until dji makes an official statement its hard to gauge why they may have delayed or canceled the event.

I was going by past company experience.  It takes something seriously wrong to cancel a hyped and scheduled Marketing event.  And it takes management who really care about their customers and company to make the call to cancel.  Usually igniting a major internal political battle.  Realizing Board of Directors are catching it from short-sighted stockholders.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-5 14:09
That would be a heck of a drone if body was ruggedized with plastic used to make drones shown several years ago on Game of Drones.  Ramming into other drones, breaking through glass windows, drops to ground, and getting shotgunned.

does not need that much extra ruggedization, its made of aluminium and plastic, i think the prop guards with the cameras built in are aluminium... it uses machine learning and "Ai" to identify things and avoid things while attempting to follow you. and works very well surprisingly well in tight areas...   

it isn't perfect, specially the app, and getting genuinely better as times goes on from it learning things as you fly it, and the devs teaching it new things in updates.   but compared to my track record with dji's active track, i rather dji drones be made of indestructible stuff
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-5 14:16
I was going by past company experience.  It takes something seriously wrong to cancel a hyped and scheduled Marketing event.  And it takes management who really care about their customers and company to make the call to cancel.  Usually igniting a major internal political battle.  Realizing Board of Directors are catching it from short-sighted stockholders.

well hard to really say or gauge it.  

start with the obvious:   we have little idea what this event was even about, may not have even been a drone announcement, could have been some boring company talk BS them just talking about how much they grown and how excited people ate and announcing plans for expanding, sh**t even apple has done this at events without launching products.

everything was speculation, may not have announced and drone or product directly.  and they may have cancelled it for any number of reasons..

2018-7-5
Use props
Marcoc0202
lvl.3
Flight distance : 269583 ft
Italy

When do you guys think they will announce it? Something like august... Or something like DECEMBER?
2018-7-5
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules