13545 204 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-15 02:38
And you think putting more restirctions and regulations in place including the need for people like myself to register a 430g drone to take a photograph is going to stop criminals being criminal with their drones? Yeah right. Don't make me laugh. Your problem is that you can't see how the hobby will be turned into a cash cow by the authorities.

They're not putting in more laws and restrictions.  They're adding teeth to the existing laws to stop the brain dead morons or if they DO continue make it financially unattractive to do so.

As far as the "more restrictions" they changed "not too close to airports" to "1km from an airport boundary".  How is that restrictive or in any way non sensible?

You think if burglary, drink driving and tax evasion was made legal you wouldn't get more people doing it?
You need laws but for laws to be effective they need effective sanctions.
2018-7-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-15 02:48
The drone code is actually a set of safety guidelines - you need to refer to the CAA air navigation order for the actual laws governing the flight of drones in UK airspace.

..and all thats changed is the 1km airport restriction.
The important thing here is the laws have teeth so the morons we see daily flying low, close to people, under road bridges, miles away from where they can operate VLOS and so on can actually be fined and hopefully the fine big enough to deter them from doing it again.

Im struggling to see a downside to this at all.
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-15 03:02
They're not putting in more laws and restrictions.  They're adding teeth to the existing laws to stop the brain dead morons or if they DO continue make it financially unattractive to do so.

As far as the "more restrictions" they changed "not too close to airports" to "1km from an airport boundary".  How is that restrictive or in any way non sensible?

I know exactly what they have thanks as I was part of the CAA consultation...

The need to register, hand my personal details to an authority and pay them for the privilege does not sit well with me. The fact that these terms which I previously mentioned like terrorism act, unlimited fines etc deters others from joining the hobby and does not support a positive perception of drones and those who fly them amongst the public. It is already almost impossible to find an area where you can fly without breaching by-laws as most local authorities and almost all national trusts have banned drones on their land. I'm not going to sit in a car for an hour or two then walk for miles to find a spot where I can fly a toy for 30 minutes and still keep looking over my shoulder. Thankfully, there are a few places I can still fly but taking the drone with me to 'capture the moment' - I don't think so!

2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-15 03:04
..and all thats changed is the 1km airport restriction.
The important thing here is the laws have teeth so the morons we see daily flying low, close to people, under road bridges, miles away from where they can operate VLOS and so on can actually be fined and hopefully the fine big enough to deter them from doing it again.

And yes they are including more laws - reducing the AGL from 1000' to 400' and maximising punishments for those caught, the need to sit a test and to register.

And do you honestly think those who fly like morons as you put it will stop doing so? No, they won't. I doubt they'll even register and when a drone is spotted in my area and it's my name on the register and not the actual pilot who do you think the police will presume is flying... All of that, for what? To take a photo of a field... Knock yourself out lol
2018-7-15
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-10 07:49
Yeah I always fly VLOS. There's a good device that fits over your glasses that gives you better ability to see your drone at longer distances.

Here in the US FAA states you must be able to keep the drone in VLOS "Without the use of Optical Aids" that would include binoculars, X ray and Infrared vision.
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-15 03:18
Here in the US FAA states you must be able to keep the drone in VLOS "Without the use of Optical Aids" that would include binoculars, X ray and Infrared vision.

Hahahahahaha - everyone flies VLOS don't they. ;)
2018-7-15
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Mandatory transmission of UUID is not far away either. But I do agree, nothing will stop idiots, nor does buying cheap China drones without any form of legally required safety systems like nfz awareness, failsafe systems or UUID beacons. In the mean time the more expensive off the shelf drones do get al the restrictive stuff, while those flyers, willing to pay for quality are the more aware ones conserning the potential risks involved that comes with flying drones.
2018-7-15
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-7-15 03:29
Mandatory transmission of UUID is not far away either. But I do agree, nothing will stop idiots, nor does buying cheap China drones without any form of legally required safety systems like nfz awareness, failsafe systems or UUID beacons. In the mean time the more expensive off the shelf drones do get al the restrictive stuff, while those flyers, willing to pay for quality are the more aware ones conserning the potential risks involved that comes with flying drones.

Flying is in the skill of the pilot, just because there are other alternatives to high quality drones doesn't mean pilots are unaware of their responsibility, as far as NFZ awareness there a plenty of app's out there that are far more accurate than DJI's NFZ's. So as I have always said the sole responsibility of flight is on the pilot. Take this little bug for instance, silky flight, rock solid in windy conditions, camera rivals and/or exceeds the MP/MA, 100mbs write speed, many more useful quickshot / camera features. Bugless dedicated App. This will be my goto drone in the future, will hang on to my P4P as the camera is awesome,will probably be selling my MP & MA over on Mavic Pilots in the near future and getting another bug. As far as UUID it will only be for drones after a certain production date if it happens at all.

Sample

2018-7-15
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-15 04:14
Flying is in the skill of the pilot, just because there are other alternatives to high quality drones doesn't mean pilots are unaware of their responsibility, as far as NFZ awareness there a plenty of app's out there that are far more accurate than DJI's NFZ's. So as I have always said the sole responsibility of flight is on the pilot. Take this little bug for instance, silky flight, rock solid in windy conditions, camera rivals and/or exceeds the MP/MA, 100mbs write speed, many more useful quickshot / camera features. Bugless dedicated App. This will be my goto drone in the future, will hang on to my P4P as the camera is awesome,will probably be selling my MP & MA over on Mavic Pilots in the near future and getting another bug. As far as UUID it will only be for drones after a certain production date if it happens at all.

[view_image]

Agree about the pilot being solely responsible, and everybody flying should be very much aware of their responsibilities. Nice video as well, It's great there are alternatives to DJI's products, we need more of those actually. My point was more that not everybody takes their responsibilities that seriously, and that  for those who don't want forced NFZ's, forced registration or forces UUID transmission, there will always be alternatives to buy and import from foreign markets. Like yourself being to be able to evade forced upon NFZ's by hardware limitations by going for the Analfi. I can understand your reasons and that you are aware of your responsibilities, but there are for sure people who take those responsibilities to lightly and you won't stop them from acting unresponsible.
The mandatory UUID transmission for Europe is not a question anymore concerning 'If', but 'when', which will be somewhere in 2019. Manufacturers have 3 years to sell certified crafts only, and if they want any marketshare they'll have an edge on competitors by complying as quick as possible.(Who's going to buy non-certified drones when you know you won't be able to fly them legally in the near future?) There will be a transitional term for pilots flying non-certified craft, but the thought is that the terms of flying circumstances of those non-certified drones are not being very attractive to flying them anymore. I think the transition will take place at a fast pace because of this. You can also see this because key manufacturers like DJI have been consulted when comming up with these regulations, and you can already see conformity within the DJI products like the Mavic line.

2018-7-15
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... it begs to question - 'What about glasses?' Or is drone flying only for those with 20/20 vision?
2018-7-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-15 03:16
And yes they are inclusing more laws - reducing the AGL from 1000' to 400' and maximising punishments for those caught, the need to sit a test and to register.

And do you honestly think those who fly like morons as you put it will stop doing so? No, they won't. I doubt they'll even register and when a drone is spotted in my area and it's my name on the register and not the actual pilot who do you think the police will presume is flying... All of that, for what? To take a photo of a field... Knock yourself out lol

400 was always the recommended limit for it and now its a sensible law.  The height picked by most of the planet to increase the chances of avoiding legitimate manned VFR traffic.  Thats a good thing.
If the morons are reported, caught and find thousands of pounds and get a criminal record then yes, the knuckle dragger population will be reduced.  They have to enforce this and come down hard for it to be effective.
The drone community should help as well and report people openly flouting them.
2018-7-15
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-7-15 06:51
... it begs to question - 'What about glasses?' Or is drone flying only for those with 20/20 vision?

Even in aircraft glasses and contacts are allowed but nothing else.  This is no different.
If you cant see it clearly enough to determine its orientation and direction of travel you're not in VLOS.
2018-7-15
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

... it begs to question - 'What about glasses?' Or is drone flying only for those with 20/20 vision?

Obviously any glasses that correct your vision to 20/20 works

2018-7-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

That would include prescription glasses!!!
2018-7-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

... it begs to question - 'What about glasses?' Or is drone flying only for those with 20/20 vision?

Unless you have 20/20 vision, you can only fly outside U.S.
Typical Big Brother Bureaucratic Red Tape stupidity.  "Without the use of Optical Aids".

2018-7-15
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-15 09:17
Unless you have 20/20 vision, you can only fly outside U.S.
Typical Big Brother Bureaucratic Red Tape stupidity.  "Without the use of Optical Aids".

And that includes the use of polarized sunshades.
2018-7-15
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-15 08:15
400 was always the recommended limit for it and now its a sensible law.  The height picked by most of the planet to increase the chances of avoiding legitimate manned VFR traffic.  Thats a good thing.
If the morons are reported, caught and find thousands of pounds and get a criminal record then yes, the knuckle dragger population will be reduced.  They have to enforce this and come down hard for it to be effective.

I think you are right.  Harsh punishments for those that break the drone laws.  Instead of the current process where politicians note individuals flying irresponsibly/illegally, value the person's vote too much, so they don't do anything but pass more laws that ruin it for everyone else.

If a drone pilot flying illegally was punished severely, news papers would promptly publish articles from his point of view how sad his life is and how horrible being punished is for him.  Making him a hero of the article.
2018-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-15 09:50
I think you are right.  Harsh punishments for those that break the drone laws.  Instead of the current process where politicians note individuals flying irresponsibly/illegally, value the person's vote too much, so they don't do anything but pass more laws that ruin it for everyone else.

If a drone pilot flying illegally was punished severely, news papers would promptly publish articles from his point of view how sad his life is and how horrible being punished is for him.  Making him a hero of the article.

Sadly the rules won’t make any difference to the idiots already flying, hopefully they will keep more idiots from joining them.
2018-7-15
Use props
Allen Deckard
New

United States

Because the war on drugs across the planet was won years ago because of stiff penalties and prison time.

I’m just getting into drones won’t even have mine till Monday but everyone here in this conversation does realize that your the only ones talking about it right?

Kind of like how you never see a vw beetle on the road till you own one then it seems like that’s all you see.  

I’m not saying that people aren’t getting caught doing things I’m not saying the conversation is dead but to be honest I live in southern Florida Jon the beach just moved from the Florida keys and I’ve seen a total of one drone in the last 5 years and it went up and down the beach a bit everyone said that it was pretty cool and went back to drinking.  

It’s just not that big of a topic outside of this community.  
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Recommendations and law are very different. You stated that there have been no other changes to the law other than the newly defined boundary of airports... I simply corrected you as you have given wrong information in that regard.
2018-7-16
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

the event was finally canceled?
2018-7-16
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Flying is in the skill of the pilot, just because there are other alternatives to high quality drones doesn't mean pilots are unaware of their responsibility, as far as NFZ awareness there a plenty of app's out there that are far more accurate than DJI's NFZ's. So as I have always said the sole responsibility of flight is on the pilot. Take this little bug for instance, silky flight, rock solid in windy conditions, camera rivals and/or exceeds the MP/MA, 100mbs write speed, many more useful quickshot / camera features. Bugless dedicated App. This will be my goto drone in the future, will hang on to my P4P as the camera is awesome,will probably be selling my MP & MA over on Mavic Pilots in the near future and getting another bug. As far as UUID it will only be for drones after a certain production date if it happens at all.

[view_image]

That's a great video demo of the camera and flight. Zoom was really good too.

2018-7-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-7-16 00:59
Recommendations and law are very different. You stated that there have been no other changes to the law other than the newly defined boundary of airports... I simply corrected you as you have given wrong information in that regard.

Fly above 400ft under the current guidelines and can still get arrested under the ANO so makes no difference at all.  Good luck justifying to a judge WHY you up there endangering.

2018-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

integer Posted at 2018-7-16 01:49
the event was finally canceled?

Where did you see that ?
2018-7-16
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-16 04:12
Where did you see that ?

i ask if the event is canceled for 18 July.
2018-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

integer Posted at 2018-7-16 04:42
i ask if the event is canceled for 18 July.

Ok just postponed, hopefully we will see it before Xmas;+)...
2018-7-16
Use props
PHLyBoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14150 ft

United States

Flying is in the skill of the pilot, just because there are other alternatives to high quality drones doesn't mean pilots are unaware of their responsibility, as far as NFZ awareness there a plenty of app's out there that are far more accurate than DJI's NFZ's. So as I have always said the sole responsibility of flight is on the pilot. Take this little bug for instance, silky flight, rock solid in windy conditions, camera rivals and/or exceeds the MP/MA, 100mbs write speed, many more useful quickshot / camera features. Bugless dedicated App. This will be my goto drone in the future, will hang on to my P4P as the camera is awesome,will probably be selling my MP & MA over on Mavic Pilots in the near future and getting another bug. As far as UUID it will only be for drones after a certain production date if it happens at all.

[view_image]

What drone is that?
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-16 02:33
Fly above 400ft under the current guidelines and can still get arrested under the ANO so makes no difference at all.  Good luck justifying to a judge WHY you up there endangering.

Not if you did not place manned aircraft at risk. The law at the time clearly stipulated a 1000' AGL limitation for UAV's providing manned aircraft were not at risk. The guideline of 400' was to enhance safety provisions by keeping the drone below manned airspace at all times - this guideline is now updated to be written into the air navigation order and is therefore law - it was not before the update.  
2018-7-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer

Parrot Anafi
2018-7-16
Use props
noflyzone69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can Blame  the dip dumb fk Donald TRUMP for the delay  just saying !   his stupid tax crap on all overseas buying ...... Just saying !
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Any bets as to whether DJI Big Wow event occurs before or after Firmware .0500 for Mavic Air is released?
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-16 11:27
Any bets as to whether DJI Big Wow event occurs before or after Firmware .0500 for Mavic Air is released?

That's a hard one to predict mate - I'd say .0500 should be their priority for existing customers
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-16 11:28
That's a hard one to predict mate - I'd say .0500 should be their priority for existing customers

But, but, but, ...
If they make Big Wow drone announcement first, then everybody will buy it, and .0500 firmware update is a mute point.
What better drive of customers?!  New kool latest greatest drone to fly!   What old drone, what old problems?
Got to think like Marketing & Sale$.
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-16 11:41
But, but, but, ...
If they make Big Wow drone announcement first, then everybody will buy it, and .0500 firmware update is a mute point.
What better drive of customers?!  New kool latest greatest drone to fly!   What old drone, what old problems?

Hahahahaha - that is true - fingers crossed!
2018-7-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-16 11:42
Hahahahaha - that is true - fingers crossed!

Kidding aside.  I really do hope DJI releases .0500 Firmware for Mavic Air, very shortly.  And .0500 FW resolves all issues reported with .0400 Firmware, and fixes a few previously existing problems.

The lengthy delay coupled with inability to rollback has me very concerned about same thing occurring with Mavic Pro, R.C., or CrystalSky sometime in future.

Three months is very long time.   As in a fourth of warranty period is gone, and for some a fourth of useful life of their drone.   
2018-7-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-16 11:52
Kidding aside.  I really do hope DJI releases .0500 Firmware for Mavic Air, very shortly.  And .0500 FW resolves all issues reported with .0400 Firmware, and fixes a few previously existing problems.

The lengthy delay coupled with inability to rollback has me very concerned about same thing occurring with Mavic Pro, R.C., or CrystalSky sometime in future.

The MP use to have one or even two FW updates per month in it's first few months after launch which is typical to iron out the teething problems (bugs) of a new product. Agreed, it is very concerning that we have not seen a FW update on the MA since 03 MAY despite all of the reported issues. I hope it's because .0500 is going to be a huge update that will sort the lot out! I hope :-/
2018-7-16
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-5 12:43
Maybe it was done on purpose.

In Business the More Anxious the Customers are, the more Sales Increase as they will search and talk about it more and more.

Why should any company "halt" selling if they have something that they believe work?
I don't think that is a market strategy, not a vice one at least. Revenues is what counts,

As many Software/tech company's they have invested in development, why post pone income?
2018-7-17
Use props
RotorTalk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 628392 ft
  • >>>

Back to the subject.  Skydio + Parrot 'Anafi' (not an abbreviation of 'another naff drone') = back to the drawing board because whatever DJI were planning on announcing was deemed to have insufficient WOW factor.  Pity 'cos I was hoping to change from a MavicAir to a an upgraded MavicPro why?  I recently flew over a cruise ship in Geiranger fjord, Norway.  It blotted out all RF... fortunately the full auto RTH worked.

Sapphire Princess, Geiranger Fjord, June 2018

Sapphire Princess, Geiranger Fjord, June 2018
2018-7-25
Use props
trica de
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1062090 ft
  • >>>
Germany

you think they cancelt it because of " insufficient WOW factor" ?
2018-7-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

I recently flew over a cruise ship in Geiranger fjord, Norway.  It blotted out all RF...

Right.  So you have Occusync which has won awards and greatly respected for just how good it is for the power and bands allowed and then fly the drone close to something that has huge multiband RF emitters and expect a new drone to be better!?The air is even worse, a weaker protocol with far less penetration and resiliance and you lost connection?  Strange that.  Who'd have thought it....

Your drone puts out under a watt.  Its competing with various band emitters pumping out kilowatts of RF.  Of course its going to stop working.  You're too close.  Simple as that.

(That aside, Norway you cant legally go within 150m of the boat anyway).

Most likely whatever DJI were announcing was a production issue.  Because that's where they've always failed.  Plus there is STILL no viable competition to the 2 year old Mavic so why rush?

2018-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules