Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A lot of bad comments about the Mavic air.
12Next >
4852 51 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There are lots of bad comments on here about the Mavic air, I have owned one for about 3 months now and have had no problems with it at all. My only negatives would be the 4k, it isn’t great, and connecting the iPhone to the controller can be temperamental sometimes. The best thing about the Mavic air is it’s size, and carry case you get with the combo. Keep up the good work Dji.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think for it's price point it is an excellent drone and ticks a lot of boxes for me. Some have had a lot of problems with it though so whilst you and I have a good all round experience I'm sure we wouldn't be smiling if our MA had the faults many have reported - even if some of those need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
2018-7-5
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Point taken, but from my experience it’s been excellent, so I thought I would just share my views too. Thanks for the feedback
2018-7-5
Use props
Night Crawler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 291404 ft
United States

I am a newbie to Mavic Air but I had flown Mavic Pro's from my friends, all I can say is...I love my Mavic Air because of it's portability as well as the quality and features it has is comparable to Mavic Pro.  With Mavic Air, DJI was able to reach out to the consumers and made it possible for almost everybody to own one without sacrificing quality, performance as well as it's portability.
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thank you for your feedback, rest assured that we will keep improving our service to provide better quality.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 12:41
I think for it's price point it is an excellent drone and ticks a lot of boxes for me. Some have had a lot of problems with it though so whilst you and I have a good all round experience I'm sure we wouldn't be smiling if our MA had the faults many have reported - even if some of those need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

problem with this argument is what are you able to compare it against?  the closest thing is a mavic pro... until we see more competition competing directly 1 for 1 price point argument is weak to be honest cuz most of what you compare it to is Dji's own line up right now.
2018-7-5
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I agree I think the technology is great. I also have a hand held dslr gimble also with no problems. Keep doing your thing Dji.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:03
problem with this argument is what are you able to compare it against?  the closest thing is a mavic pro... until we see more competition competing directly 1 for 1 price point argument is weak to be honest cuz most of what you compare it to is Dji's own line up right now.

For me - the other six DJI drones I have owned and flown extensively and for my personal needs - the MA is easily the best.
As for other brands - why have cotton when you can have silk.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CRIMINALRECORDZ Posted at 2018-7-5 12:46
Point taken, but from my experience it’s been excellent, so I thought I would just share my views too. Thanks for the feedback

Good for you - me too. Exceptional drone.
2018-7-5
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The dslr gimble isn’t Dji but another company, all excellent and exciting work.
2018-7-5
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I owned a phantom vision 2 plus previously, and caught the bug.
2018-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:03

When something is great, it doesn’t stop being great because something else comes along.

“Mavic Air has accomplished great things despite imperfection.”
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-5 13:05
For me - the other six DJI drones I have owned and flown extensively and for my personal needs - the MA is easily the best.
As for other brands - why have cotton when you can have silk.

the argument about price is weak i think until more competition..  that's how i think about it.   and closest competition to mavic air is Mavic pro and then followed by Autel Evo (which is actually getting a lot of compliments)

2018-7-5
Use props
TZero
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547618 ft
Brazil

Any company that wants to participate in the global market, has to adapt to many factors, not only cultural and market as well as physical.

When you have a product that for whatever reasons - whether hardware or software - you do not serve a portion of your consumers, you have to react quickly (after sales) in order not to lose market share.

The case of INTEL is emblematic. Of course INTEL will never go bankrupt but it is giving AMD a chance to grow in the eyes of the world.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:20
the argument about price is weak i think until more competition..  that's how i think about it.   and closest competition to mavic air is Mavic pro and then followed by Autel Evo (which is actually getting a lot of compliments)

There is no argument - I'm stating my opinion based on my experience with these products. Nothing more, nothing less. Take it or leave it.
2018-7-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I fully share your eperiences while I also recognise that some feel to have issues that should be listened to and if possible addressed. The gravity of these issues is debatable however in quite some cases.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-5 13:18
When something is great, it doesn’t stop being great because something else comes along.

im not saying mavic air isn't a fantastic drone, just saying what do you compare it to..?  

closest comparison is its bigger brother, mavic pro then followed by the autel evo.  hard to make a genuine argument that "for its price" for all we know this all could have been done and sold to us for $500 but because we lack competition,  hard to say what is or isn't possible until the market shows us...

we already know dji does not roll their own silicone, just rebadged/branded off the self parts.  its designed and built in china so im sure lot of cost savings in that vs most other parts of the world.
2018-7-5
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Of course the forum is here to help those with issues, but it can also be used to express the good things too, thanks for all your comments guys it’s been interesting.
2018-7-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CRIMINALRECORDZ Posted at 2018-7-5 13:41
Of course the forum is here to help those with issues, but it can also be used to express the good things too, thanks for all your comments guys it’s been interesting.

You're welcome mate - keep it up
2018-7-5
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not had an issue with mine, disconnecting with GO 4 app but then my Pro does the same. White combo version was as little as £830 from Argos which was phenomenally a good deal! Thinks it’s gone up again now.
2018-7-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 13:37
im not saying mavic air isn't a fantastic drone, just saying what do you compare it to..?  

closest comparison is its bigger brother, mavic pro then followed by the autel evo.  hard to make a genuine argument that "for its price" for all we know this all could have been done and sold to us for $500 but because we lack competition,  hard to say what is or isn't possible until the market shows us...

Yes it could, and an iPhone X could have been sold for 99$ , didn’t you know the market determines the price.
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-5 14:23
Yes it could, and an iPhone X could have been sold for 99$ , didn’t you know the market determines the price.

interesting point.  the cheapest you can make a product cost is the material price to build it assuming you can skip the price of shipping and marketing and packaging...  iPhone X for example cheapest that could cost is $600 with current price of materials to build it.  

not always the market determining the price... there is a absolute min price...
2018-7-5
Use props
TroutboyNZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Most problems come from those who have "just brought one"... didn't bother to read the manual and expect to stick a battery in and fly!... doesn't work like that, staggering how many people don't take the time to read up on flight protocol, manuals on HOW to fly etc... then come back here with threads on "Air just dropped out of the sky for no reason"... or "Air flew away on it's own"...
2018-7-5
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

This is a whole thread about nothing
2018-7-5
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2018-7-5 14:42
Most problems come from those who have "just brought one"... didn't bother to read the manual and expect to stick a battery in and fly!... doesn't work like that, staggering how many people don't take the time to read up on flight protocol, manuals on HOW to fly etc... then come back here with threads on "Air just dropped out of the sky for no reason"... or "Air flew away on it's own"...

I wonder how much that can be blamed on advertising.  Advertising all the aids the autopilot gives you makes the uniformed think they can just jump into flying with no skills or knowledge.

I took very gradual steps with my first and only drone.  Took it slow even though I have years of model airplane experience and used to fly an un-stabilized Align Trex 450 (balancing on a pin).  My first flying RC model is that Trex so I learned to take it slow.  Two weeks just to get to a stable tail in hover 8 feet off the ground then slowly started drifting off to one side or the other until I could do figure 8's and nose in hovers (controls reversed).

I have zero problems with the Spark even though it is supposibly tough on other owners.  

Spark return 5.gif
2018-7-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-5 18:32
I wonder how much that can be blamed on advertising.  Advertising all the aids the autopilot gives you makes the uniformed think they can just jump into flying with no skills or knowledge.

I took very gradual steps with my first and only drone.  Took it slow even though I have years of model airplane experience and used to fly an un-stabilized Align Trex 450 (balancing on a pin).  My first flying RC model is that Trex so I learned to take it slow.  Two weeks just to get to a stable tail in hover 8 feet off the ground then slowly started drifting off to one side or the other until I could do figure 8's and nose in hovers (controls reversed).

i wish people could experience my 1st spark that i owned.  it was basically every dji bug packed into one drone... complete lemon.. i honestly think its possible that more than just a few lemons out there running a muck...

i admit i was a new pilot, but i took my time to read things and watch tutorials.. and i pretty much just stuffed it because it was a lemon....  from ignoring my inputs, to app crashes, to poor and inconsistent range, almost every error dji product could spawn it triggered even had an ultrasonic system error once... fly aways (but recovered), it loved trees i didn't even have to touch the controller if it was hovering near a tree i dont know what it was but it almost sensed trees and took a loving to triggering RTH near them even if battery was okay, singla was solid just hovering near it..    possessed little demonic spark...

second spark i got was 900000000x better but it still suffered just enough glitched i gave up on it when it nearly died... got a mavic pro as my final chance for dji to redeem themselves here, and i been happy and its been extremely extremely predictable...
2018-7-5
Use props
ulfw
First Officer
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Hong Kong

Nice concept. Horrible quality. Am on my third Mavic Air (all exchanged free by DJI due to their fault). First one had a so faulty camera it looked like a one megapixel iPhone 1. Second crashed due to 'motor current fault' which is their .400 firmware bug they haven't bothered to fix in two months. So now I grounded my third Mavic Air as I just don't want to go through the long process again to have it exchanged once more when things go wrong, waiting for .500 firmware to come out god knows when.
Didn't have such problems with my Spark or Pro.
2018-7-5
Use props
scamp62
lvl.4

ulfw Posted at 2018-7-5 19:35
Nice concept. Horrible quality. Am on my third Mavic Air (all exchanged free by DJI due to their fault). First one had a so faulty camera it looked like a one megapixel iPhone 1. Second crashed due to 'motor current fault' which is their .400 firmware bug they haven't bothered to fix in two months. So now I grounded my third Mavic Air as I just don't want to go through the long process again to have it exchanged once more when things go wrong, waiting for .500 firmware to come out god knows when.
Didn't have such problems with my Spark or Pro.

MA is my first drone ! all I can say, is this thing is great. not one hick-up or it falling out of the air.
I'm very happy with this aircraft
2018-7-5
Use props
alpbird
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

I am also happy with mine. The only problem or rather the issue is the frequent compass calibration, and relatively shorter period of flight time. Beyond that, No problem at all.
Cheers
2018-7-6
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Good to here.
2018-7-6
Use props
TVRamiro
Flight distance : 32940 ft
United Kingdom

Like any brand new product, it will have its teething problems. The issues are real and pretty consistent across the board for what I have seen and experienced myself.

That's all good and dandy, I can understand new hardware or firmware having issues, it happens on every single piece of tech. The problem here is than an issue at 50 meters of altitude is not going to end well. Aircraft randomly walking away from you because GPS gets confused and crashes into a wall (my personal case), definitely did not end well...    but again, it wouldn't be an issue if DJI would take responsibility and wouldn't try to scam their own customers.

As mentioned on another thread, for escalations there should be an independent technical team to review escalations and the customer shouldn't be left to do their own research to prove innocence... and again, this is my own personal experience. Luckily I do come from a technical background and was able to get my faulty, self-suicidal drone replaced with a new one under warranty , but it took way much more effort that I've bargain for...        if this had happened to any other member of my family, that would have been a total lost.

Happy for all you guys that are flying away with no issues whatsoever and I wish that you never ever have to contact support. But please do not try to discredit the poor souls that have to endure this process, the faults are real and the ordeal to go through the official channels is a real catastrophe.

Surely, there's pilot error involved trying to claim warranty but that shouldn't discredit every claim and specially a company should never disregard a customer because there was another dodgy case.
2018-7-6
Use props
Robothamster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 51135 ft
United Kingdom

I'm also in the very happy with my Air camp.

I do have the issue where the compass wants calibrating often (nearly every new flight) but it's a very minor complaint, and I'd rather do it than risk it flying the wrong way!

I've flown it many times and not had any of the other problems reported, no drifting, no motor current errors etc.  I can understand the frustration people have when they have those issues however.
2018-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think there will always be complaints about every product.
If you search for complaints for MP, you will also get a lot of them.
Many of them depend on the user and how he / she expects a product to perform.
If you have high expectations, it is likely that you will be complaining.
And yes, with these complex products, things will go wrong.
And yes, with everybody buying these toys and flying them, even more will go wrong.
The only difference is that with a drone, something wrong will turn out ugly....
Where with my Nikon DSLR it is just something that went wrong, but it won't fly away
2018-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-6 03:43
I think there will always be complaints about every product.
If you search for complaints for MP, you will also get a lot of them.
Many of them depend on the user and how he / she expects a product to perform.

I fully agree with you, in many of the problems, you can workaround, I have a70D and it doesn’t always do what it says on the tin. But lots of workarounds.
Problems like lack of distance, have been complained about since MavAir was released, so rolling back won’t cure this problem, if it was already a problem with that FW, and likewise with glitchy video feed, we have seen many of these problems being cured with a simple change of cable.

I have seen the slight Yaw in MavAir first hand, it doesn’t always happen, but when it does simply switching to sport mode will stop it yawing.
Motor Current warning has already been said by dji to be a false warning, and although it does say land aircraft asap, the same can be said for wind warning, and most ignore this.
I believe that most love this hobby because it’s challenging, if it wasn’t then I think I would rather take up knitting ;+) ,
New FW will come, and new problems for some, for me it’s how you face these problems is what will keep you flying , some choose to wait for a fix , but as you can see around here , and from what you know about being around here, nothing gets rushed when you need it.
2018-7-6
Use props
nixuspix
Captain
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-6 04:26
I fully agree with you, in many of the problems, you can workaround, I have a70D and it doesn’t always do what it says on the tin. But lots of workarounds.
Problems like lack of distance, have been complained about since MavAir was released, so rolling back won’t cure this problem, if it was already a problem with that FW, and likewise with glitchy video feed, we have seen many of these problems being cured with a simple change of cable.

Well said, Captain!
2018-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-6 04:26
I fully agree with you, in many of the problems, you can workaround, I have a70D and it doesn’t always do what it says on the tin. But lots of workarounds.

Luckily we always have Hallmark007 to investigate the flight logs when things get ugly and most of the time a 'proof' that it was some form of user ignorance.
2018-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Well I just think there are many around here can help with some of the problems, at least until some new FW arrives.
Fly safe..
2018-7-6
Use props
CRIMINALRECORDZ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure a lot of problems are answered and solved on the forum, keep up the good work ppl.
2018-7-6
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-5 19:09
i wish people could experience my 1st spark that i owned.  it was basically every dji bug packed into one drone... complete lemon.. i honestly think its possible that more than just a few lemons out there running a muck...

i admit i was a new pilot, but i took my time to read things and watch tutorials.. and i pretty much just stuffed it because it was a lemon....  from ignoring my inputs, to app crashes, to poor and inconsistent range, almost every error dji product could spawn it triggered even had an ultrasonic system error once... fly aways (but recovered), it loved trees i didn't even have to touch the controller if it was hovering near a tree i dont know what it was but it almost sensed trees and took a loving to triggering RTH near them even if battery was okay, singla was solid just hovering near it..    possessed little demonic spark...

Weird problems with the Spark.

I have only calibrated the compass one time when I got it.  And I failed at calibrating the IMU that day because I was using a tilted board laying on the grass and never removed the props.  So no IMU calibration yet.  Has worked fine with no errors in the last year.  Took it from the midwest down to south florida.   Hand launched and landed to get an aligator pic.  Checked the local channels for noise but never had to cal the compass and it flew fine.  I think I need to clutch onto my particular problem free Spark as,... "My Precious!"

Yours sounds like the receiver had a loose antenna.
2018-7-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-6 13:39
Weird problems with the Spark.

I have only calibrated the compass one time when I got it.  And I failed at calibrating the IMU that day because I was using a tilted board laying on the grass and never removed the props.  So no IMU calibration yet.  Has worked fine with no errors in the last year.  Took it from the midwest down to south florida.   Hand launched and landed to get an aligator pic.  Checked the local channels for noise but never had to cal the compass and it flew fine.  I think I need to clutch onto my particular problem free Spark as,... "My Precious!"

thats awesome, i wish my spark experience was that good, i loved that little sparky, so little and stable when it worked.    but i dont know why it was such a mess, it scared me a lot though.
2018-7-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules