Fireworks with Spark and Mavic Air (let the negative comments begin)
2200 31 2018-7-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Posted this to Mavic and Spark tabs because I used both drones quite a bit. I watermarked the corner of the screen with "hd" or "4k" so you can tell which drone I'm using for each shot. Overall the Mavic Air did AMAZING. Very clear shots with very little blur of the fireworks. 3-axis gimbal was very evident on the Mavic Air, as the Spark was tilting all over the place since there was a little wind last night (nothing too bad). The Spark shots are a little blurry at times and the video overall seems a little gray instead of black. Just a bit more contrast on the Mavic Air as well as more vibrant colors. All the city fireworks were over Silver Lake so I really don't feel I was putting anyone in danger since it would just be my property falling into the lake if something went wrong. I'm open to hear another point of view if you can persuade me.

2018-7-5
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

Cool one! I hope you had a nice 4th of July!
2018-7-5
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

The video looks really cool. Ever since that first drone operator did one of these it has added a whole new way to see fireworks.

In our area they have helicopters flying around which is what I think they use to see if someone is having a local display... under the radar... lol

How do you keep a sense of where the aircraft is. With it being so dark how do know how to keep far enough away  so you are not blown up? And do you leave your lights on while you fly? I ask because I would expect that you need to be a bit stealthy about flying.

My only comment would be to suggest that you might develop a relationship with the fireworks company to provide them with a copy of the show if they let  you fly at your own risk. No finger pointing here.

Sidd
2018-7-5
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Bing,
Wow!
Amazing stuff as always.
Thanks a lot!
I'm a fireworks lover I've been firing them since I was a kid. So I think I'd be making noise instead of flying a drone.  
I gotta say you flew really close to the explosions I think if one of these hit the drone at the right time the drone wouldnt stand a chance of survival. Some of these can generate a pretty powerful explosion force.
Since it would be just falling into the river I see no problem at all. You took a risk that paid off beautifully.
I really enjoy your videos m8!
Thanks a lot!
2018-7-5
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-7-5 19:40
The video looks really cool. Ever since that first drone operator did one of these it has added a whole new way to see fireworks.

In our area they have helicopters flying around which is what I think they use to see if someone is having a local display... under the radar... lol

Binger, If I may...

Distance is the key
I recorded our local fireworks last night and was about 1,800ft away
Worked out great!

I see what you are saying about flying close to the fireworks and I really wouldn't be worried - quite possibly do it myself.
Those were consumer grade fireworks.
1/10th the power of what you would see at a show.

2018-7-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-7-5 20:22
Bing,
Wow!
Amazing stuff as always.

Yeah, I figured if I got really unlucky then an explosion COULD take out my drone. I flew Spark and Mavic Air so if one had to go down I'd hope it was the Spark.
2018-7-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-7-5 19:40
The video looks really cool. Ever since that first drone operator did one of these it has added a whole new way to see fireworks.

That's a really good idea about making a video FOR the fireworks people. Thanks for the idea. I only had my rear light on. So sometimes the drone was pretty much invisible. I did have a couple friends text me asking if it was my drone they saw because there were a few flying around. The drone IS easy to lose even when you are looking at your map. However, I climbed on top of a neighbors flat roof to get a better vantage point, and it greatly helped. I tried to keep it on the same flight path (directly over the lake) and when I brought it back in I turned the butt of the drone towards me so I could visualize where it was. When I turned the light towards me I could see it LOS the whole time during the flight.
2018-7-5
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-5 20:37
Binger, If I may...

Distance is the key

I have an older video where I recorded fireworks and stayed back quite a ways. It was only with the Spark (which I think doesn't do as well in low light) and you can see it lose focus at times. The Mavic Air did exceptional. Thanks for watching. Post a link to your video please.

2018-7-5
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

What video settings do you use for night flights? My SPark is literally blind at night in video mode (black screen), its only when i switch to photograph and adjust the settings that it can see anything at all!
2018-7-5
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

Amazing video! You're right; the MA is clearly better than the Spark. Not surprising, though.
2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-7-5 23:37
What video settings do you use for night flights? My SPark is literally blind at night in video mode (black screen), its only when i switch to photograph and adjust the settings that it can see anything at all!

I've always used standard automatic settings at night. But you have to have some light to shoot at. Like city lights or in this case fireworks.  No light = No picture. I think the Spark is fair at night. But the blacks are darker and the colors pop more on the Mavic Air. But still, not to shabby on the Spark.
2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JimFandango Posted at 2018-7-6 01:58
Amazing video! You're right; the MA is clearly better than the Spark. Not surprising, though.

Thanks JimFandango
2018-7-6
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-6 02:08
I've always used standard automatic settings at night. But you have to have some light to shoot at. Like city lights or in this case fireworks.  No light = No picture. I think the Spark is fair at night. But the blacks are darker and the colors pop more on the Mavic Air. But still, not to shabby on the Spark.

In fairness i've only ever tried my Spark once at night and the settings may have been left in manual mode. Will try again in Auto
2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-7-6 02:23
In fairness i've only ever tried my Spark once at night and the settings may have been left in manual mode. Will try again in Auto

I'm guessing it should be no problem. If you're above a well lit city try a 360 pano (tiny planet). They look great at night over a city.
2018-7-6
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-6 02:50
I'm guessing it should be no problem. If you're above a well lit city try a 360 pano (tiny planet). They look great at night over a city.

Yeah i managed to do that, just couldn't get any video, even when i was looking at a lit street! Mustve been in manual mode
2018-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video
2018-7-6
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

The only think that would worry me is that if the drone was pretty close to a firework as it explodes would the intense bright light mess up the camera?

Sidd
2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sidd Finch Posted at 2018-7-6 07:53
The only think that would worry me is that if the drone was pretty close to a firework as it explodes would the intense bright light mess up the camera?

Sidd

I have no idea if that could happen or not. I was more worried about a shockwave flipping the drone upside down, but then again I think it takes a lot more to flip a DJI drone than I think it would.
2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Montfrooij
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Really Beautiful Bing ! It was as if the Drone was being bombarded, you where literally in the Fireworks !

AMAZING !

2018-7-6
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-6 15:10
Really Beautiful Bing ! It was as if the Drone was being bombarded, you where literally in the Fireworks !

AMAZING !

Thanks, It was quite exhilarating.
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-6 15:19
Thanks, It was quite exhilarating.

Really Nice Experience, You are so Brave Bing !

2018-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome
2018-7-7
Use props
azswift
First Officer
Flight distance : 13819 ft
United States

That turned out really nice.  Wonder if there could be a way to attach a brighter light to a Spark to make it visible for night flying.
2018-7-7
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

azswift Posted at 2018-7-7 07:52
That turned out really nice.  Wonder if there could be a way to attach a brighter light to a Spark to make it visible for night flying.

I think the Spark is highly visible compared to the Mavic Air. I should make a video comparing them. But yes, you could probably just attach a super bright led to the underside of it for even more visibilty.
2018-7-7
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bing-er.  I really enjoyed the the images; the first I've seen so "up close and personal."  (did you get 'hit' at 3:01 ?!! - noticed a little bump!)  My only suggestion is that you find a different audio background.  That "loop" gets a little annoying and doesn't really match the subject (IMO)  Thanks again for the effort and post.
2018-7-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-5 21:49
That's a really good idea about making a video FOR the fireworks people. Thanks for the idea. I only had my rear light on. So sometimes the drone was pretty much invisible. I did have a couple friends text me asking if it was my drone they saw because there were a few flying around. The drone IS easy to lose even when you are looking at your map. However, I climbed on top of a neighbors flat roof to get a better vantage point, and it greatly helped. I tried to keep it on the same flight path (directly over the lake) and when I brought it back in I turned the butt of the drone towards me so I could visualize where it was. When I turned the light towards me I could see it LOS the whole time during the flight.

You might consider using Litchi (next year) and pre-plan and test the flight before the 'works.'  It limits the need of trying to keep a constant visual.
2018-7-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-8 04:39
Bing-er.  I really enjoyed the the images; the first I've seen so "up close and personal."  (did you get 'hit' at 3:01 ?!! - noticed a little bump!)  My only suggestion is that you find a different audio background.  That "loop" gets a little annoying and doesn't really match the subject (IMO)  Thanks again for the effort and post.

No fireworks hit the drone. I was just flying fast and the gimbal was trying to level out. I wanted to keep the shot in the video because it was a great POV to the fireworks, but was torn to delete it from the video because the of the gimbal movement. I have not used Litchi yet because I'm afraid DJI won't stand behind their products if I use 3rd party software. Just my personal fear.
2018-7-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-8 14:10
No fireworks hit the drone. I was just flying fast and the gimbal was trying to level out. I wanted to keep the shot in the video because it was a great POV to the fireworks, but was torn to delete it from the video because the of the gimbal movement. I have not used Litchi yet because I'm afraid DJI won't stand behind their products if I use 3rd party software. Just my personal fear.

I hear you... -w/regard to DJI and non-standard 'enhancements'.  Two thoughts on that ... next year the aircraft will be out of warranty (unless you extended) and second, maybe DJI will add Missions to the rumored update :-)  [ If that happens I can't WAIT for the new 'drone runaways' threads !! ]
FWIW, check out forum Captain, Dirty Bird's night video at post #189 -  He's a Litchi Four-Star General  https://forum.dji.com/thread-148823-5-1.html

2018-7-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-9 02:45
I hear you... -w/regard to DJI and non-standard 'enhancements'.  Two thoughts on that ... next year the aircraft will be out of warranty (unless you extended) and second, maybe DJI will add Missions to the rumored update :-)  [ If that happens I can't WAIT for the new 'drone runaways' threads !! ]
FWIW, check out forum Captain, Dirty Bird's night video at post #189 -  He's a Litchi Four-Star General  https://forum.dji.com/thread-148823-5-1.html

That's a really interesting video. I didn't know Litchi was that capable. Don't you still need connection during the whole video?
2018-7-9
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-9 05:03
That's a really interesting video. I didn't know Litchi was that capable. Don't you still need connection during the whole video?

Nope,  No connection to the Controller required.  The Mission is loaded into the aircraft.  If you do have connection you can terminate a mission, and depending on the rules your create for the mission, a return to home, or the mission start/finish designation will initiate.

Here's another 'tool' to give some understanding on how it works, etc.  The owner of this Litchi flight "school" has a few free mission planning videos.  Very well put together.  He's been doing this from the beginning ( I'm led to understand )  "Enrolling" for the free stuff is no issue.  You'll get a few "tips" emails and some offeres to buy the whole package, but it's not intrusive.  FWIW, he keeps quite up to date.

https://courses.phantomfilmschoo ... -phantomfilmschool1
2018-7-9
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WebParrot Posted at 2018-7-9 08:33
Nope,  No connection to the Controller required.  The Mission is loaded into the aircraft.  If you do have connection you can terminate a mission, and depending on the rules your create for the mission, a return to home, or the mission start/finish designation will initiate.

Here's another 'tool' to give some understanding on how it works, etc.  The owner of this Litchi flight "school" has a few free mission planning videos.  Very well put together.  He's been doing this from the beginning ( I'm led to understand )  "Enrolling" for the free stuff is no issue.  You'll get a few "tips" emails and some offeres to buy the whole package, but it's not intrusive.  FWIW, he keeps quite up to date.

thanks for the info WebParrot
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules