DJI Ronin-S + Sony a6000 + Sony 35mm prime lens
11083 14 2018-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kenneth Scicluna
lvl.2
Malta

I am interested in buying the Ronin-S, however, I am not sure if it works fine with my current setup that weighs 520g which consists of a Sony a6000 with a Sony SEL35F18 35mm . I was taking into consideration to buy a smallrig to add an additional 120g.

What are your thoughts on using the Ronin-S with this setup? I am aware that the Sony a6000 is in the compatibility list, however, the lens is not. Will this setup stabilize without any problems?   

Thanks
2018-7-6
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

There should not be a problem.  I've been using an A6300 with the E4PZ 18-105 G OSS, which is a relatively heavy APS-C lens, at 15.1 oz, 427 G.  So to test your case I changed to the very light E PZ 16-50 F3.5-5.6 OSS which weighs 4.1 oz, 116 g.  This is lighter than your lens, which is 5.5 oz, 154 g.

I was able to balance this lighter combination okay.  I used the camera riser that comes with the Ronin-S, and had to locate the camera near the top of its adjustment range, but there was still a little adjustment to spare.  With your somewhat heavier lens it should have even a little more adjustment to spare.  There is no issue at all with front to back or left to right adjustment.  I shot a few pictures with this combo, and shot a panorama, and it worked fine.  Don't shoot me if you buy the Ronin-S and it won't balance, but based on this test it should be okay.
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The Sony A6000 is in the compatible list but it can only be physically balanced and stabilized on the Ronin-S currently, we will keep developing more features. Thanks for your interest. GTScreenshot_20180707_174849.png
2018-7-7
Use props
C_Knight
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU Posted at 2018-7-6 20:39
There should not be a problem.  I've been using an A6300 with the E4PZ 18-105 G OSS, which is a relatively heavy APS-C lens, at 15.1 oz, 427 G.  So to test your case I changed to the very light E PZ 16-50 F3.5-5.6 OSS which weighs 4.1 oz, 116 g.  This is lighter than your lens, which is 5.5 oz, 154 g.

I was able to balance this lighter combination okay.  I used the camera riser that comes with the Ronin-S, and had to locate the camera near the top of its adjustment range, but there was still a little adjustment to spare.  With your somewhat heavier lens it should have even a little more adjustment to spare.  There is no issue at all with front to back or left to right adjustment.  I shot a few pictures with this combo, and shot a panorama, and it worked fine.  Don't shoot me if you buy the Ronin-S and it won't balance, but based on this test it should be okay.

Man, I'd love to know how you got it balance because I am at my wit's end trying to do it!
2018-8-23
Use props
djiuser_E64uGRt8bGYM
New

United Kingdom

I’m currently using a Sony A6500 + Samsang 35MM but I can’t seem to balance my horizontal axis. When I tilt the lens up, it will always flip back down.

Please advice
2018-10-14
Use props
KennethScicluna
lvl.2
Malta

There is no need to balance the vertical axis for light setups. I struggled to balance it too and in fact, there is no need to. Apparently, since the gimbal was designed for heavier lenses the vertical axis motor does not kick in. Unforantely, DJI does not mention this anywhere. I had to work closely together with the vendor from where I bought it. Later, DJI support development team confirmed that there is no need to balance the vertical axis for light setups.

If you managed to balance the pan, tilt and roll axis you shouldn't have any problems.
2018-10-14
Use props
djiuser_E64uGRt8bGYM
New

United Kingdom

Thank you for you advice!

Just to double confirm, vertical axis adjustment is when I tilt my camera lens up, it is supposed to stay up am I right?

Can I also check which step is the tilt axis?

2018-10-15
Use props
KennethScicluna
lvl.2
Malta

Yes. I found this very strange, however, it was confirmed by DJI themselves and I have tested it myself and it seems that everything was balanced well.

The tilt axis is on page 10 of the manual basically iIt is the slider): https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf

2018-10-15
Use props
djiuser_E64uGRt8bGYM
New

Singapore

Thank you so much! Appreciate it a lot
2018-10-25
Use props
fansa86180f1
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

I am having issues and can not connect my a6000 to the ronin s and keep getting a “usb connecting” how can I over come this
2019-3-11
Use props
KennethScicluna
lvl.2
Malta

fansa86180f1 Posted at 3-11 09:07
I am having issues and can not connect my a6000 to the ronin s and keep getting a “usb connecting” how can I over come this

I used to have this issue when I had the camera already switched on when I connected the wire to the Ronin. Switch off the camera and switch it back on. It should work. If this is not the case I don't know what it might be (maybe a faulty wire or connector?)
2019-3-11
Use props
hillsmat
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

KennethScicluna Posted at 3-11 09:09
I used to have this issue when I had the camera already switched on when I connected the wire to the Ronin. Switch off the camera and switch it back on. It should work. If this is not the case I don't know what it might be (maybe a faulty wire or connector?)

Thanks, i will give this a try and let you know
2019-3-14
Use props
fansc2988743
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988061 ft
United States

Also make sure that you have the remote setting in your camera menu switched on
2019-8-1
Use props
djiuser_p0jW6ra5ub8T
New

Argentina

Hi everyone. Speaking a bit of the Sony A6000, could someone operate the focus from the dji focus wheel? How did they do it? I have the latest updates. Thank you
2020-2-7
Use props
Rydak
New

France

Hello,

i bought a ronin-s and i have a sony a6000 with fe / 28mm.
I get everything balanced however I have micro vibrations in my videos.
I did autotune and the balance test.
can someone help me? my sony is too light? do we need to add weights?

i'm sorry for my english i'm french.

Thanks for your help.
2021-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules