DJI Phantom series multifunctional backpack- - Paint outer Plate?
931 9 2018-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowyowl
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6119 ft

I just purchased the DJI Phantom series multifunctional backpack, and I was wondering if anyone here has painted the hard removable outer plate?I'm considering painting this outer plate but not sure which paints would stick to this plastic and I would like to achieve an outer glossy look clear coat.

I created in photoshop 2 variants of how I would like my end result.

Thanks,
-Josh

style 1 & 2.jpg
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Looks great. I prefer fluorescent colours, but the second one appeals to my eyes best.

Not sure which paint would be your optimal choice.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for sharing this thread with us. The DJI Phantom series multifunctional backpack on the right side looks great me as well.
2018-7-6
Use props
snowyowl
lvl.2

So, it seems that I have found a solution to my own question

I figured I would share the method I found to achieve these results I’m going to purchase the material and when I paint the outer shell I will post pictures and update this thread.

Steps:
  • You want to start by spraying the outer shell with a black base paint
  • next you want to either toss some Pearl powders which you could pick up from KP pigments or you can simply search on Amazon for Pearl Ex  Powdered pigments pack. A quick note regarding the Pearl ex this is a paint form meaning it’s not powered so you will have to use a small brush to color blend. Opposed to the straight Pearl powder which you can simply toss onto the black base paint no brush required.
  • If you’re using the Pearl powders blow off any excess clumps.Otherwise Skip this step if you are using Pearl Ex  Powdered pigments
  • Lastly you will want to put a clearcoat you can use Rust oleum specialty triple thick glaze or you can use Krylon crystal clear glaze I would spray three coats

This method can be used for painting just about anything plastic. Hope this has been useful.
2018-7-6
Use props
snowyowl
lvl.2

Fyi Hobby Lobby Sells what you need, and so does Michael's
2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

snowyowl Posted at 2018-7-6 12:29
Fyi Hobby Lobby Sells what you need, and so does Michael's

I look forward, only because my eyes are in the front. Hahaha

But I will be checking back here, for your creativity and skills.

RedHotPoker

2018-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

snowyowl Posted at 2018-7-6 12:19
So, it seems that I have found a solution to my own question

I figured I would share the method I found to achieve these results I’m going to purchase the material and when I paint the outer shell I will post pictures and update this thread.

Thanks, that is how I would do it... grin

RedHotPoker
2018-7-6
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Looking nice but if you're going to paint it, better make it light/bright. I don't get why they always make such things black/dark as it get way to hot when in the sun. Being a backpack there a big chance it will face the sun for longer time when used.
2018-7-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-6 23:33
Looking nice but if you're going to paint it, better make it light/bright. I don't get why they always make such things black/dark as it get way to hot when in the sun. Being a backpack there a big chance it will face the sun for longer time when used.

Aloha Ked,

That is very true.  Many people forget what happens in the real world.  Black is not always best.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-7
Use props
snowyowl
lvl.2

I gave it a try not 100% the result , I messed up air compressor wouldn't turn on
So I the pearlescent pigment and tried blowing some off but the base paint dried too rapidly.
The clear coat isn't fully dried so I placed it in storage and will check tomorrow to see how it turned out.
It's a learning process and I might just redo it all over since the pigments where 40% off.

2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules