lvl.1
Flight distance : 17051 ft

Netherlands

can be true
2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for this video. As of the moment, there is no official announcement on what will happen on July 18, 2018. Please visit our official website for the latest updates. Thank you.
2018-7-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

in terms of material quality and fit & finish, it looks legit

in terms of camera gimbal, i'm not sure, definatly adds more flexability vs the gimbal of the mavic air, but i think dji wants a more durable gimbal..

missing the text "pro" on the actual arm, not sure if this disproves anything, could be a new naming direction.

Dji Stephen here continues to mention the july 18th announcement even though this is about leaks....so maybe hinting at something unintentionally ;)
2018-7-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Ow wow, that looks great, I see side sensors as well.

Naming makes sense, Mavic 2 (Pro?) instead of Mavic Pro 2 falls in line with their Phantom range, aswell as Apple's naming scheme.

Size looks comparible to the Mavic Pro, so I'll pass even if it can be fitted with a 1" sensor. But I'm allready eager to get my hands on an Mavic 2 Air with side sensors. I'll keep enjoying my Mavic Air for the next 21 months.

2018-7-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

It almost looks like the entire gimbal / camera module is removable, and seems to show a Record button on the detached module!

THAT would be a game changer, if they come out with a 1" BSI CMOS sensor camera / gimbal that is removable from the body so can be used to capture non-drone footage too!
2018-7-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I originally described DJI would release a Mavic Pro 2 with a very similar form factor, if this picture serves as any confirmation then this is close to my expected rendition.

Is it me, or does that look like in the photo iJustine's pink colored nails?
2018-7-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-6 14:15
I originally described DJI would release a Mavic Pro 2 with a very similar form factor, if this picture serves as any confirmation then this is close to my expected rendition.

Is it me, or does that look like in the photo iJustine's pink colored nails?

she isn't the only one with huge pink nails though especially if its a show booth babe.  
also this was in china..?  
and the event was july 18th, i think july 18th event is where ijustine and other youtubers and influencers would be..

even if july 18th event itself is cancled, it seems like july 18th is still a date you want to set that still maybe a date on embragos lifting ;)

2018-7-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-6 14:21
she isn't the only one with huge pink nails though especially if its a show booth babe.  
also this was in china..?  
and the event was july 18th, i think july 18th event is where ijustine and other youtubers and influencers would be..

I think we've gotten a glimpse of what is being called Mavic 2. Like I believed, DJI is basically repackaging the Mavic Pro body with some new enhancements but they're likely not including anything too groundbreaking or far from the original?
2018-7-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-6 15:24
I think we've gotten a glimpse of what is being called Mavic 2. Like I believed, DJI is basically repackaging the Mavic Pro body with some new enhancements but they're likely not including anything too groundbreaking or far from the original?

i think dji has to make the mavic 2 as ground breaking as the original mavic... specially if they wish to sell it for what originam Mavic sold for when it came out...
2018-7-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-6 15:28
i think dji has to make the mavic 2 as ground breaking as the original mavic... specially if they wish to sell it for what originam Mavic sold for when it came out...

Unless it has:

1) much improved image transmission system with 4G LTE/5G compatibility;
2) miniaturized zoom motion picture cinematic quality camera;
3) 35+ minute flight time;
4) stronger obstacle avoidance;

I do not really see a compelling reason to upgrade?

2018-7-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-6 19:18
Unless it has:

1) much improved image transmission system with 4G LTE/5G compatibility;

here is my list of things i hope Dji brings to the table here:

1. Ai based active tracking to compete with Skydio in going not just around but over and under and predicting movements several seconds ahead to not hit anything and know where you are likely going to be going.  and having spoken to a friend that is in the field of Ai/machine learning, it is possible to add in a secondary SoC that can do background work.

2. Occusync 2.0, i have almost zero complaints about occusync 1.0, but only appropriate that since mavic pro launched occusync, that mavic pro 2 launches 2nd generation of the wireless technology... adding dual band increasing its frequency hopping capabilities.  maybe even rear and front antennas on the drone itself it switch between them more evenly.

3. a better camera, i dont need zoom.. but give us variable aperture, slightly larger sensor, better lenses  and a better encoder.. and maybe add in supersampling technique like 6K -> 4K which can be done on a secondary SoC in real time.  supersampling isn't new and has many methods of handling during encoding... just uncommonly used.

4. support for addons.. like a 360 camera, maybe a 4G/LTE usb stick, etc etc..  looks liek the belly has a cutup spot that maybe able to connect things to (hopefully).

2018-7-6
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-6 20:00
here is my list of things i hope Dji brings to the table here:

1. Ai based active tracking to compete with Skydio in going not just around but over and under and predicting movements several seconds ahead to not hit anything and know where you are likely going to be going.  and having spoken to a friend that is in the field of Ai/machine learning, it is possible to add in a secondary SoC that can do background work.

I totally agree with all those, only now does DJI include these features in the upcoming Mavic 2? Honestly, my intuition tells me this technology isn't yet going to be released by drone manufacturers, probably in a subsequent version release after some more research and development?

I think, except for a slightly better camera, there really isn't much compelling reason for a need to upgrade? Especially when considering the likely factor of price, when it's released the premium for a Mavic 2 could be double the price for what the original will be selling for - once this new drone is released?
2018-7-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This looks interesting!
2018-7-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-6 22:33
I totally agree with all those, only now does DJI include these features in the upcoming Mavic 2? Honestly, my intuition tells me this technology isn't yet going to be released by drone manufacturers, probably in a subsequent version release after some more research and development?

I think, except for a slightly better camera, there really isn't much compelling reason for a need to upgrade? Especially when considering the likely factor of price, when it's released the premium for a Mavic 2 could be double the price for what the original will be selling for - once this new drone is released?

well the Skydio R1 has Ai and Machine Learning based active tracking and its costs $2500 and uses a very expensive Nvidia based compute system.  i imagine Dji can make it vastly more cost effective using a semi custom SoC from any number of manurfacturing.  lets just hope Dji drops the company that was purchased by intel, intel  really isnt moving forward with such technologis and hope dji adopts another company or invests in their own

occusync 2.0, that's very like that Dji will improve occusync and probably add 5.8Ghz, and a only makes sense since Mavic launched occusync 1.0 mavic 2 will launch 2.0 variant of occusync

camera is obviously going to be improved in multiple ways.  sony is offering a small sensor with variable aperture, the Samsung Galaxy S9 uses that new Sony Exmor RS IMX based sensor which offers variable aperture.  i imagine dji will implement something along those lines.

supporting addon's from other Dji products makes sense, many companies wish for this because it forces you deeper into an ecosystem and you purchased a product you may not have normally. like if this offered an attachment for osmo pro, likely going to be selling a lot more osmo pros just as a natural result.
2018-7-7
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-7-7 08:59
well the Skydio R1 has Ai and Machine Learning based active tracking and its costs $2500 and uses a very expensive Nvidia based compute system.  i imagine Dji can make it vastly more cost effective using a semi custom SoC from any number of manurfacturing.  lets just hope Dji drops the company that was purchased by intel, intel  really isnt moving forward with such technologis and hope dji adopts another company or invests in their own

Good analyses, I find all your points relevant and hopefully likely.

I think to myself here we are on the eve of a second generation Mavic Pro or Mavic 2, which will make use of OcuSync or OcuSync 1.0 or whatever you call it, this is simply another proprietary technology that DJI calls it that is the same as its Enhanced WiFi, but essentially only with just faster hoping between more channels.

I'm just thinking aloud what are we likely to see in a fourth or fifth generation Mavic Pro, what will it look like? To me, I think the enhancements between a 2nd generation versus a 4th or 5th generation are probably going to be light years away? What such enhancements will equate to as being substantially equitable between the original soon-to-be predessor Mavic Pro and its likely soon to be unveiled successor the Mavic 2? My feeling is this 2nd generation Mavic will not be equipped with the advanced technology worth enough of a compelling reason to upgrade, as I expect the price premium probably won't be equitable until we see the Mavic in at least a 4th generation version?
2018-7-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-7 21:09
Good analyses, I find all your points relevant and hopefully likely.

I think to myself here we are on the eve of a second generation Mavic Pro or Mavic 2, which will make use of OcuSync or OcuSync 1.0 or whatever you call it, this is simply another proprietary technology that DJI calls it that is the same as its Enhanced WiFi, but essentially only with just faster hoping between more channels.

first of all, dji doesn't usually have a solid timeline of releases.. could be 1 year could be 2 years could be 2.5 or 3 years before a next gen occurs.  so a 3rd gen may not be "needed" for another 2-3 years.  and a 4th gen would be at least a half a decade out from now..

i think after 2nd gen if they add all the tech on my list or say most of it.. like 3 of the items, they probably going to have to make the folding arms design become automated by 3rd gen.  because wont be much left on the list for such a drone.. because just a better camera and better range will get boring quickly over a couple generations and sales will slump without something cool to set it apart
2018-7-8
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah that's it. I've seen it a few weeks ago and decided best to not post it. Let DJI have the glory of announcing it.
Looks amazing anyways.. saving the $$ now so I can buy one of those also. Thanks DJI!
Gimbal looks great also ... maybe the 1" sensor we have all been dreaming of?
2018-7-12
Use props
Jugra
lvl.1

Germany

Well, I think that there will be a mavic enterprise with a speaker and some kind of a laser on top of it.
2018-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules