Having fun at the cemetery
757 21 2018-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

I like to ride up to the top of the Mountain View Cemetery in Oakland, California because the views are awesome and it's a great little climb of about 500 feet. Today I got up there and found a group of people trying out their brand new Spark, and so I had to stop by and join the fun. This is now the second time in a week I just randomly happened upon people flying drones and decided to join in the fun. One more time and it's a trend!
One cool thing at the end is the shadow of the props on the flat tombstone - cool how the frame rate and the RPM of the props create a strobe-like effect.

I plan to return to start trying out dronies, boomerangs, and other shots centered on some of the mausoleums rather than on me. Also returning there with my brand new Ronin and plan to try it out there, mixing with some Air video. Hope that all fits in my backpack!

2018-7-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Awesome video. One of a kind location. Thank you for sharing.
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Nice Video, but I don't see it as an Act of Respect to have Fun in a Cemetery. For me a Cemetery is not a Playground, just like a Church. Its a Sacred Place, where you are Meditate and Pray.

I don't think you would enjoy have someone from your Family there, and people throwing Parties on top of their Graves... I think you appreciate those who Respect that Holy Place.

Different Values I think.

2018-7-6
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-6 15:17
Nic Video, but I don't see it as an Act of Respect to have Fun in a Cemetery. For me a Cemetery is not a Playground, just like a Church. Its a Sacred Place, where you are Meditate and Pray.

I don't think you would enjoy have someone from your Family there, and people throwing Parties on top of their Graves... I think you appreciate those who Respect that Holy Place.

Thanks for that thoughtful comment; yes different values. I wasn't exactly "throwing a party" on top of someone's grave, as you framed it. I too, thought about what the dead would think if I were dancing on their graves, so to speak. Well literally in this case! I checked in with the operators of the cemetery before I flew, and they were thrilled that I'd be capturing their historic site.

In my traditions, we celebrate the dead - we throw parties and have fun. We like to imagine the dead watching us, and would hope that they'd actually be smiling and laughing as we are dancing on their graves, celebrating life.

In addition, I made absolutely sure there was no one else anywhere remotely nearby - otherwise I would not have wanted to interrupt. The only nearby people were four other people flying a Spark.
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-6 15:32
Thanks for that thoughtful comment; yes different values. I wasn't exactly "throwing a party" on top of someone's grave, as you framed it. I too, thought about what the dead would think if I were dancing on their graves, so to speak. Well literally in this case! I checked in with the operators of the cemetery before I flew, and they were thrilled that I'd be capturing their historic site.

In my traditions, we celebrate the dead - we throw parties and have fun. We like to imagine the dead watching us, and would hope that they'd actually be smiling and laughing as we are dancing on their graves, celebrating life.

Congrats, Nice Values and Respect for Others.

2018-7-6
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-6 15:09
Awesome video. One of a kind location. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks. It is a really unique location. What a great place to be, whether you are alive or dead! I watched the Independence Day fireworks celebration on July 4th there too.

2018-7-6
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-6 15:38
Congrats, Nice Values and Respect for Others.

Thanks - I would hate to be "that guy" that is annoying anyone, whether alive or dead.
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-6 18:25
Thanks - I would hate to be "that guy" that is annoying anyone, whether alive or dead.

I know mate, your are so Entertaining ! Keep it up !

Tip - If you ever do some Indoor Flying, you can do it in a Mortuary.

2018-7-6
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-6 18:45
I know mate, your are so Entertaining ! Keep it up !

Tip - If you ever do some Indoor Flying, you can do it in a Mortuary.

"Tip - If you ever do some Indoor Flying, you can do it in a Mortuary."
Alright, challenge on!
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-6 19:32
"Tip - If you ever do some Indoor Flying, you can do it in a Mortuary."
Alright, challenge on!

Are you serious ? Wish you luck !

2018-7-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kind of cool but indeed, I wouldn't do that here - you'd be in the back of a police van with cuffs on before you landed lol
2018-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video.
So you have the Ronin S ?
2018-7-7
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-7-7 00:25
Kind of cool but indeed, I wouldn't do that here - you'd be in the back of a police van with cuffs on before you landed lol

That's why I checked in with the people who manage security there before I flew! They asked if they could use my video on their website.
2018-7-7
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-7 01:26
Nice video.
So you have the Ronin S ?

Yes, going to take it out today for its maiden run, if I can get this thing balanced out right.
2018-7-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-7 05:47
That's why I checked in with the people who manage security there before I flew! They asked if they could use my video on their website.

I'm sure it's fine where you are - good for you. Totally illegal here though - different culture I guess
2018-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-7 05:48
Yes, going to take it out today for its maiden run, if I can get this thing balanced out right.

I'm very curious how you will like it.
What camera / lens are you putting on?
2018-7-7
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-7 12:11
I'm very curious how you will like it.
What camera / lens are you putting on?

Panasonic Lumix GH5S
Lumix gx vario 12-35mm f2.8
2018-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-7 14:21
Panasonic Lumix GH5S
Lumix gx vario 12-35mm f2.8

Impressive.
That also has in body stabilization.

Whenever you have time, could you try the Ronin S with the in body stabilization OFF?
Some people say you also need in body / lens stabilization to compensate for the micro jitter of you hand.
(I have a Nikon D610 with prime lenses that both don't have stabilization)
2018-7-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

very nice video
2018-7-8
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-6 18:24
Thanks. It is a really unique location. What a great place to be, whether you are alive or dead! I watched the Independence Day fireworks celebration on July 4th there too.
https://youtu.be/tGi5CC30_7Y

very nice
2018-7-8
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-7-8 00:01
Impressive.
That also has in body stabilization.

"That also has in body stabilization"

Oddly enough, while it's sister camera the GH5 does have in-body stabilization, the GH5S (note the S) does not have stabilization.
2018-7-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-8 05:46
"That also has in body stabilization"

Oddly enough, while it's sister camera the GH5 does have in-body stabilization, the GH5S (note the S) does not have stabilization.

Ah, ok, I missed that.

2018-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules