Question about battery charging.
1363 16 2018-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xamiam2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6827 ft

Is there anyway the batteries can be charged by USB?  When camping I have plenty of amps available via solar panels.  A any ideas?
2018-7-6
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Of Course Mate ! Plug the USB directly in the Spark Drone -

2018-7-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-6 23:35
Of Course Mate ! Plug the USB directly in the Spark Drone -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QkxKRpYFkE

Such a shame you can't do this on the Mavic Air. Good vid though mate.
2018-7-7
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish there was a way without using the spark.  Is that possible?
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Blellow Posted at 2018-7-7 04:57
I wish there was a way without using the spark.  Is that possible?

Edit - If you want to use Original DJI Procedures, I don't think so, as the USB plugs in the Spark's Chassis. But there are some 3rd Party Cable around. I don't use these Methods, I prefere being Safe and use Original DJI Equipment.

What you can do is buy the DJI Portable Charging Station which serves as a Large Power Bank, and charge the batteries on the go, while you are flying as it has an Internal Powerbank too.

Edit - Below S-e-ven has put a link where a guys is using a 3rd Party Cable to Charge the Batteries. So I can be done without the Spark, but I won't risk using an Non Geniune 3rd Party Cable with all the Power Travelling from my Powerbank to the Spark. Also in his Post many where discussing the exact voltages / amps etc... which is a headache to me as I am not so technical, I won't risk damaging the Li-Po Batteries.

Inside the Spark there is some form of Electronics to Charge the Battery according to the Specs, but when you use the Direct Cable between Powerbank and Battery you won't have those Electronics Boards that Monitor that everything is charging 100%. I wouldn't Risk It, knowing that there are other 100% Safer Solutions around.

3rd Party Direct Cable between Battery and Powerbank - Risky....

2018-7-7
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You can read a bit in here:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-102766-1-1.html
2018-7-7
Use props
Xamiam
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, I didn't think of using the USB connection on the Spark. I'm using that device and battery holder that came with my kit.  
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

I don't suggest using Cheap 3rd Party Chargers / Cheap Power Banks with DJI Li-Po Batteries.

Always us TRY to use Original DJI Products when you are dealing with Power, Cables etc. You will never go wrong, my Honest Advise.

They maybe cost a bit more, but they are Manufactured according to the Engineers Specs who designed the Spark.

The Video I posted above, the guy was using a Very Good Branded 'ANKER' Powerbank, but still I would prefer using my DJI Portable Charging Station, as the Power Feed Volts / Amps etc will be specifically designed for Charging the DJI Spark Batteries.

Li-Po Batteries are very Dangerous if something Bad Happens. Try to be Safe as much as Possible.

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

If you need to Charge on the Go there is this DJI Portable Charging Station, designed for the DJI Spark - I prefer using this than Powerbanks.

I always use Original Chargers with Batteries, Drones, DSLR Cameras, GoPros etc... All with Original Chargers.

Even for my small Energizer AA Batteries, I use Original Energizer Chargers. I would want the Power Specs to be 100% Safe so that I won't ever damage a Battery.

2018-7-7
Use props
Xamiam
lvl.2
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 06:14
Nope I don't think so as the USB, plugs in the Spark's Chassis.

What you can do is buy the DJI Portable Charger which serves as a Large Power Bank, and charge the batteries on the goin, while you are flying.

The portable charging station  looks to require a 110v plug to run.  I have a Pure Sine Wave inverter to use when I'm out and about, but it's pretty inefficient!  Thanks for the advice.
2018-7-7
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3948947 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use a RV/Marine battery with a 12v cigarette socket/USB plugs.  Just connect some alligator clips so you can attach to the battery post.
2018-7-7
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I also run this set up with a 400w inverter connected to my Marine battery.
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Xamiam Posted at 2018-7-7 07:50
The portable charging station  looks to require a 110v plug to run.  I have a Pure Sine Wave inverter to use when I'm out and about, but it's pretty inefficient!  Thanks for the advice.

Hello Dear Xamiam,

The Charging Station is both 220v/110v Compatible.

When you charge the Batteries, the Charger has INSIDE IT a Powerbank, that charges too.

So when you are Outside Flying, you can easily Land the Spark, leave the Battery to Cool Down, and put it in your Charger again. I think it charges 3 Spark Batteries while On the Go, meaning no need of Electricity Cables etc... as it will take the Power from the Internal Powerbank.

Obviously then after Charging the Batteries on the go you will need to Plug the Charger back with a Power Source to charge the Spark Batteries and the Portable Charger Power Bank again... But I think its one of the Best Accessories I have bought for the Spark.

It nice to have Peace of Mind when Charging, apart from Li-Po Batteries containing High Energy and can be Dangerous is they catch fire, its so better to have Peace of Mind when charing Spark Expensive Batteries as they cost a lot beauces ofthe Electronics they have inside - Intelligent Batteries.

Thank you Buddy !

2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Twistedlarch Posted at 2018-7-7 07:59
I also run this set up with a 400w inverter connected to my Marine battery.[view_image]

AC Geek Products have a Good Reputation.

You have one of those ? How did you find it ?
2018-7-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thank you for the inquiry. You can charge the DJI Spark using a USB cable. Just a reminder please use original DJI accessories for your Drone for compatibility and reliability purposes.
2018-7-7
Use props
Twistedlarch
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-7 08:08
AC Geek Products have a Good Reputation.

You have one of those ? How did you find it ?

I love it and it works flawlessly!  I can charge all my equipment in just under an hour.  I found it on Ebay for around $40
2018-7-7
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Twistedlarch Posted at 2018-7-7 08:52
I love it and it works flawlessly!  I can charge all my equipment in just under an hour.  I found it on Ebay for around $40

Really good price too ! Welldone. I like to use Original DJI Products though.
2018-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules