Drone ND Neutral Density Filters || Why & When?
2083 14 2018-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aaron Avila
First Officer

2018-7-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good find - this is a great vid Aaron
2018-7-9
Use props
Sunny_German
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21693 ft

I've already watched a lot of videos. Especially about setting in the DJI Go app. However, I do not understand the whole, maybe someone can help here !? I put on a ND 16 filter and set the shutter to 1/60, unfortunately, the picture is totally overexposed although I have the ISO value to 100. Can someone help please? I'm still a beginner. Sorry for my bad English, but I leave the translation of an app{: 4_143:}
2018-7-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

nice sharing!
2018-7-9
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Sunny_German Posted at 2018-7-9 01:40
I've already watched a lot of videos. Especially about setting in the DJI Go app. However, I do not understand the whole, maybe someone can help here !? I put on a ND 16 filter and set the shutter to 1/60, unfortunately, the picture is totally overexposed although I have the ISO value to 100. Can someone help please? I'm still a beginner. Sorry for my bad English, but I leave the translation of an app{: 4_143:}

It can be too bright out during the middle of the day even with ND16 filters.  Wait until the golden hour (or few hours) before sunset or at sunrise.   Especially if you are trying for that cinematic look by using such a slow shutter.  You could also try a day with more clouds and overcast skies so it is not so blindingly bright out.   
2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I've already watched a lot of videos. Especially about setting in the DJI Go app. However, I do not understand the whole, maybe someone can help here !? I put on a ND 16 filter and set the shutter to 1/60, unfortunately, the picture is totally overexposed although I have the ISO value to 100. Can someone help please? I'm still a beginner. Sorry for my bad English, but I leave the translation of an app{: 4_143:}

Hello Sunny German,

@Gunship9 is right. What happens is this -

When you have lot of light, the camera reduces the time of the shutter speed, making it a faster open and close to let in less light, so that the image will not be over exposed.

The Aperture of the Spark cannot be Adjusted, the Shutter Speed will be Predefind by you for Motion Blur, lets say 1/60 (till 1/100 you still get motion blur but don't exceed 1/100 as you video will start looking choppy) so many use ND Filters to overcome the Problem of Over Exposure.

Now with the ND Filters, you are putting a type of Tint, imagine a Sunglasses, to reduce the light coming in the lens. As you are setting a Pre Defined Shutter Speed which is 1/60 meaning 60th of a Second, you are letting more light coming in the lens to obtain the Motion Blur for Videos, coz thats the main idea unless you do as SparkBird does with his Mavic and take Photos with Motion Blur of Rivers Flowing, to get that Smoothy Motion.

Now if you have a lot of light you must test and increase the ND Filters Accordingly.

For my Spark I have -

ND 4 - Almost No Filter / Little bit of tint to use only as a Protector or when there are lots of Clouds
PL ND 8 - To use when you just need some little tint as there is Not so much Sun but more Clouds during the Day
PL ND 16 - To use in Partly Sunny / Cloudy Days
ND 32 - To use on Really Sunny Days

There is also ND 64, and I think I read also ND 1000 which is almost a total block out used for Long Exposures.

So the Idea behind is that the more Sun and Light there is, you use an ND Filter with a Greater Number which means a Greater Tinted Glass to let less light in.

The Best ND Filters / Polarizer Brand is Polar Pro, most expensive but the Best you can buy till now.

If I wasn't clear don't worry as sometimes a Video helps more than words. Feel free to ask me anything.

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I've already watched a lot of videos. Especially about setting in the DJI Go app. However, I do not understand the whole, maybe someone can help here !? I put on a ND 16 filter and set the shutter to 1/60, unfortunately, the picture is totally overexposed although I have the ISO value to 100. Can someone help please? I'm still a beginner. Sorry for my bad English, but I leave the translation of an app{: 4_143:}

This will help you understand the Procedure of using ND Filters to Low the Light Coming In, and so you won't have an Over Exposed Image.

Any Questions let me know, I am a Hobbyist Photographer too.

2018-7-9
Use props
Sunny_German
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21693 ft

You are really great. As soon as the weather is better I will try the filter. Thanks again for the great explanations. So slowly I understand it.{: 4_138:}
2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Sunny_German Posted at 2018-7-9 08:54
You are really great. As soon as the weather is better I will try the filter. Thanks again for the great explanations. So slowly I understand it.{: 4_138:}

My Pleasure Sunny_German. With the ND Filters always keep the ISO at 100 as you are doing, so you have Less Noise and Lower the Light Sensor Sensitivity as much as possible.

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Thanks for this Video Aaron, many will learn from it..
2018-7-9
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

If without ND you have a shutter speed of 1/640 and with your highest ND filter you can get the shutter to 1/160, is that still worth putting the ND filter on???  In other words, does the choppiness drop linearly as the shutter speed drops or is it only worthwhile to use an ND filter if you can get the shutter speed below 1/100???
2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-7-9 09:31
If without ND you have a shutter speed of 1/640 and with your highest ND filter you can get the shutter to 1/160, is that still worth putting the ND filter on???  In other words, does the choppiness drop linearly as the shutter speed drops or is it only worthwhile to use an ND filter if you can get the shutter speed below 1/100???

Hi Rustic,

There was a Video Explaining what you just said.

1/100 is the Maximum you can go for Video to create Motion Blur.

You why is using 1/60 Shutterspeed the Best ?

As there is a Rule of Thumb that if you use 30Fps  for Video, to create a nice motion blur you need to double the Frame Rate - so 30fps x 2 = 60

So the Shutter Speed is Best to be 1/60. The More you Increase the Shutter lets say 1/640 the Image will be Frozen and Sharp, resulting to a more Choppy like Video. That 1/60 will create the little motion blur between frames to make the Video more Cinematic and Smooth, not Choppy.

I will try to search the Video for you...

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

This is one of them - Very Good Comparisons

2018-7-9
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

This will explain the ND Filters on the Spark - He will show the Motion Blur Comparison too.

Hope you enjoy them Buddy.

2018-7-9
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I imagine the maximum is dependent on subject speed...whether the girl running on the beach or doing a high speed run close to the ground.  If the subject is really fast, you can still get blur at 1/160 or even 1/320...it's the desired amount of blur that is the real question...which probably brings us back to 1/100 or less.  I really don't know.
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules