New owner of DJI Mavic Air, but i have some questions
1560 11 2018-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lakagigar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 708802 ft
Norway

Hello there. I'm new to flying drones and i'm also new to the forum here.

Last saturday (30.06.2018), i went ahead and bought the DJI Mavic Air 'Fly More Combo' package. I also bought some extra accessories to it 2 days after that. After one week and one day with usage, i'm super duper happy with it.

I only have had 2 error messages so far that doesn't seems to be much of a problem, so far. The first error i got one week ago (one day after i got the drone) was the 'Motor Current Error'. That error was only visible for 3-4 seconds before it disapeared. And it's also said to be false alarm by DJI. After that i haven't seen that error again. Even after flying it like 6-7 times after that. The 2nd error i have got is just the 'Strong Signal Interference' that i got some days ago and i also got that today. That error message also disapeared after some few seconds.

And by my observation, the Mavic Air have performed really great even while having those error messages.

But other than that, i'm gonna ask some question about the Mavic Air as this topic is about.

1. As i'm living in Norway, and because i didn't buy the drone directly from DJI here in Norway (i bought it from 'Japan Foto' here i live), do i have any ways of getting the DJI Care Refresh thing here?

2. As i like to explore different drone apps that can control my Mavic Air, is there any Android apps except for 'Litchi' and the 'DJI GO 4' app that you can recommend me?

Is apps (for Android) like 'Drone Harmony Planner' or 'PrecisionFlight' any good apps for creating cinematic videos and flying with waypoints?

3. If i use any of the 2 apps mentioned over, will those apps use the defined Gimbal and Drone movement settings from the DJI GO 4 app, or do i have to set that manually again in those 2 apps if that's possible?

4. As i have bought this accessory for my Mavic Air, then is the PGYTECH ND Filter (6-pack)' (costs 99.99 dollars) any good?

I have seen some video reviews of it on YouTube where most peoples seems to be very happy with them. They say they aren't in the same super high quality as the PolarPro filters are, but they are still very good for the price.

5. Is Carbon Fibre propellers (if that exists to the Mavic Air) any good ideas or better than the standard propellers that comes with the Mavic Air?

That's my questions so far. If i have more questions later, then i will post that in a new reply here.

Have a good day

2018-7-8
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

5. Carbon fiber props are not good as they create radio interference ( google mavic air carbon fiber )https://forum.dji.com/thread-149399-1-1.html
2018-7-8
Use props
Lakagigar
lvl.3
Norway

PS013 Posted at 2018-7-8 08:20
5. Carbon fiber props are not good as they create radio interference ( google mavic air carbon fiber )https://forum.dji.com/thread-149399-1-1.html

Ok, thanks for the answer. I believe you was referring to this topic?: https://forum.dji.com/thread-146973-1-1.html
2018-7-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Thak you for these inquiries and for choosing DJI Mavic Air as your drone. To answer the question regarding DJI Care Refresh. Please send an email to djicare@dji.com to know if the Drone is eligible for DJI Care Refresh. I highly recommend using the DJI Go 4 application and I also recommend using original DJI Mavic Air accessories for compatibility and reliability purposes. I do not recommend you using 3rd party applications or accessories on your Drone for safety purposes as well. For the carbon fiber propellers, these carbon fiber propellers can interfere with the signals of the Drone. It is not advisable to use carbon fiber filters as well.
2018-7-8
Use props
Lakagigar
lvl.3
Norway

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-8 08:22
Hi. Thak you for these inquiries and for choosing DJI Mavic Air as your drone. To answer the question regarding DJI Care Refresh. Please send an email to  to know if the Drone is eligible for DJI Care Refresh. I highly recommend using the DJI Go 4 application and I also recommend using original DJI Mavic Air accessories for compatibility and reliability purposes. I do not recommend you using 3rd party applications or accessories on your Drone for safety purposes as well. For the carbon fiber propellers, these carbon fiber propellers can interfere with the signals of the Drone. It is not advisable to use carbon fiber filters as well.

Hey. Thanks for your answer. I have now sent an e-mail to the provided e-mail address you gave me. So let's see what they can figure out about the DJI Care Refresh solution.

And when it's about the DJI GO 4 app, i already know it's recommended to use that app over the others, incase something happens. But i still like to try out different apps to see how good they are and what they are capable of doing.

For example, the DJI Mavic Air is missing the 'Waypoints' feature the Mavic Pro have. So other 3rd party apps who supports the Mavic Air does have that. That's one example on why i want to have one really good 3rd party app for it alongside the official DJI GO 4 app.

I also know that it's always a good idea to use original accessories to the drones. But take the PGYTECH ND Filters i bought as an example. That package with 6 filters does have an UV, CPL and an ND32 filter that the original DJI ND filer pack doesn't have for the Mavic Air. So i was kinda bummed about that, so i had no other choices than just buying the filter set from PGYTECH because of that.

So you can be sure that i will always use original accessories when it's available.

And lastly, the question about the Carbon Fibre propellers was solved really fast. So that's a big no no for the Mavic Air .
2018-7-8
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12477300 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Cannot answer all your question only #4, i have the same and pleased with these filters.
Are they the best you can buy? don`t know but for my type of filming there are great.

As you have already bought them ; just use them and show us your video`s about beautyfull Norway!

cheers
JJB
2018-7-8
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

PS013 Posted at 2018-7-8 08:20

Interesting.
2018-7-9
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Welcome,

As for question 5, Steer clear of the carbon fiber props. They are no good, create all sorts of problems with interference and are too stiff. The flex in the original props is there by design, and equates to a lighter "load" on the motors. Carbon fiber has it's place, but not as a prop on quads in my opinion. I race 180 and 250 size quads and not one of the pilots I fly with use CF props.
2018-7-9
Use props
Lakagigar
lvl.3
Norway

Hello again.

Now i have only been reading about it, so i can't say anthing about it. So that's why i'm gonna ask a question about it here.

Is there any truth to the thing someone are saying that the 'MicroUSB to USB-C' cable that comes with the DJI Mavic Air (that is used from the controller to the smartphone) is bad where we should rather use a proper / good 'USB-A (3.0) to USB-C (3.1)' cable instead so we can get a smoother / better experience on the live feed on our smartphones?

Or is the 'MicroUSB to USB-C' cable that comes with the DJI Mavic Air good enough?
2018-7-13
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

If it works - it works. If you have problems you might try to use another cable, I mean everyone has an USB cable at home and can simply test it.
2018-7-13
Use props
Lakagigar
lvl.3
Norway

saviour Posted at 2018-7-13 00:59
If it works - it works. If you have problems you might try to use another cable, I mean everyone has an USB cable at home and can simply test it.

Ok.

But i have heard that some of the lag in the video feed from the drone to the smartphone might be lesser by using a good USB-A to USB-C cable from the controller instead.

So that's why i'm asking as i do see that the video feed from the Mavic Air to my smartphone can have some few lag moments here and there (nothing that is bad in any ways though), so that's why i'm asking as i have heard that by changing out to a good 'USB-A to USB-C cable' might give lesser lag this way.

But i'm pretty sure this might just be from someone who have had a bad 'MicroUSB to USB-C' cable that have experienced that.

I'm just making sure before i eventually goes out and spend money on a new cable .
2018-7-13
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

Congrats for your new Mavic Air and have fun droning
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules