Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 std and taking pictures - Shutter wants to lag
628 7 2018-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Howdy all...  I have been having this issue since my 1st P4 and was wondering if anybody else has experienced it.

I use an iPad Air2 cell/WiFi 128g that's a about 3 years old now, cell is active on it, always kept up to date and presently has IOS 11.4.  The P4 and controller have the latest firmware also.
the micro-sd card I use is the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64g.

The problem I am experiencing is randomly when the shutter button is pressed either on the controller or using the screen icon on the Go4 app the image is taken, but the shutter button icon on the screen will animate showing that the image is either saving or something is just thrying to think.... for a long time, like about 30 seconds..

I have posted a link to a screen recording showing the problem.....   The biggest issue with it is it will not let me take another picture while it's trying to "Think" its way thru the last picture taken.
you will see the 1st shutter release at about 5 seconds, then a second attempt at the 12 second mark, where the screen flashes blank and returns but no shutter sound, then the shutter button animation releases at about the 32 second mark and allows another photo to be taken. then that one is released around the 1:04 mark.

It gets a tad frustrating when I want to snap a lot of poics in a row.....  Sometimes also when I video, the image will freeze and the app is unresponsive until I close out of the app and clear it from memory and restart the app and it reconnects.   The P4 is ALWAYS controllable, just when it's in that issue I cannot see the FPV of the map location and other data needed.

I am SURE the issue lies in the iPad itself as I also have an another iPad Air2 wiFi only that I sometimes use and the issue does NOT happen at all on that device, it's just a PITA keeping it connected on hotspot.
Hopefully somebody has an idea that I can try to clear up this issue.

Thanks guys

2018-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Check your background App's that may be running, screen record itself may have some bearing, but presumably this happens with screen record deactivated as well.
2018-7-8
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-8 13:03
Check your background App's that may be running, screen record itself may have some bearing, but presumably this happens with screen record deactivated as well.

Always clear all background apps, and I only recorded this screen for the purpose of showing the issue..  It does it pretty much on every flight I fly.
2018-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-7-8 13:07
Always clear all background apps, and I only recorded this screen for the purpose of showing the issue..  It does it pretty much on every flight I fly.

From what you've said it certainly points to that one device. A clean install of DJI Go 4, or perhaps a complete reset of the device itself using iTunes.

It wouldn't be as simple as a format of SD, or a temperamental card, once again you've likely already tried numerous permutations of SD's to get it working ?

2018-7-8
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-8 13:14
From what you've said it certainly points to that one device. A clean install of DJI Go 4, or perhaps a complete reset of the device itself using iTunes.

It wouldn't be as simple as a format of SD, or a temperamental card, once again you've likely already tried numerous permutations of SD's to get it working ?

Yeah, tried multiple SD card types and speed ratings.  And I have tried the uninstall and re-install of the App with no luck...  Have not tried the iTune save and complete refresh of the iPad yet but I might just have to.
2018-7-8
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

I decided to go thru the 3 to 4 hour process of restoring my iPad to see what happens with the shutter issue, will let you guys know what happens.  My memory usage was over 90% so that could have had something to do with it too.
2018-7-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-7-9 10:54
I decided to go thru the 3 to 4 hour process of restoring my iPad to see what happens with the shutter issue, will let you guys know what happens.  My memory usage was over 90% so that could have had something to do with it too.

Two things I can think of, first is to re-format the card. You need to do this regularly as DJI place a lot of files in hidden folders that can choke the card. The other thing is to check if you are recording RAW+JPEG, that will take a lot longer to record.
2018-7-9
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-9 14:33
Two things I can think of, first is to re-format the card. You need to do this regularly as DJI place a lot of files in hidden folders that can choke the card. The other thing is to check if you are recording RAW+JPEG, that will take a lot longer to record.

Definitely not using RAW at all, don't have the time to do the post work on those monsters.  Not into commercial stuff. And I do format the cards about every 3rd file transfer to computer cycle...

A quick flight earlier and about 70 pictures fired off without a hitch so the iPad reformatting and stuff appears to have done the trick.  Not sure just why it should make any difference when the only time I cache anything is on video recording but apparently the image file of some sort comes to the iPad when it's taken as well as being written to the sd card.
Oh Well...  Problem solved so thanks for all the suggestions guys...

2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules