What If.........
1460 35 2018-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I just had a brain melt down there thinking, what if a buyer of a used DJI aircraft doesn't create an account ?
Then of course they wouldn't get any updates. And they cannot run DJI Go 4 now without being 'logged in' (could this be the reason ? ).
There again there's nothing to stop them using a 3rd party App', but does that not need to be an approved App', logged into it's account to remove the 30m altitude & 50m radius flight restriction imposed in newer firmware.
So if this used machine were on older firmware, and running older DJI Go 4 or third party App', would that mean new owner could fly unrestricted and unregistered on any system.

With any potential consequences landing on the doorstep of the previous owner who had 'Activated' the machine against their account ?
I was thinking in terms of not being able to de-register or change ownership against your account for any machines that had moved on.

Have I missed the obvious somewhere ?

2018-7-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Aardvark,  What are you planning?  It tales a devious mind to work that one out.  Even worse, I think it would work, lol
2018-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-7-8 13:39
Aardvark,  What are you planning?  It tales a devious mind to work that one out.  Even worse, I think it would work, lol

No, I'd just gotten wondering after seeing another post regarding selling a machine. I know that anybody that wanted could fly the things incognito. But was thinking, would there be potential for those following the rules to get caught out.

You can't disassociate yourself from a machine once activated. So could it come back one day and bite us ???

If the new owner wanted to use it at its full potential then yes, there would be an audit trail, but if not ? (Beware, activated drone haunts owner, a 'Zombie' drone ?)
2018-7-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14237874 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-8 13:51
No, I'd just gotten wondering after seeing another post regarding selling a machine. I know that anybody that wanted could fly the things incognito. But was thinking, would there be potential for those following the rules to get caught out.

You can't disassociate yourself from a machine once activated. So could it come back one day and bite us  ???

It's a definite possibility for the new owner
As for coming back on you as the seller - it would depend on the situation. If it led to a criminal investigation you should be able to show something like your seller record on eBay with the details of the buyer and the dates it was shipped, the address it was shipped to with signed tracking forms and the date the payment was made to your PayPal a/c etc etc. That will be good enough to prove that the drone is no longer in your possession.  
2018-7-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

@Aardvark, But then you wouldn’t be a contributing member of the forum.

That would be a huge loss for all of us regulars here.

Please reconsider this dubious mission of being vacant.  Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-8
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

A great thought there Aardvark, perhaps begging the need for a registry of  these aircraft. Having said that I bought my 4 Pro in the US and fly it at hoe in the UK. SO would that Registry then need to be international? There is of course that in existence already, its called DJI, but I doubt they would be willing to take on the task. Seems like keeping a paper trail (yup I did say paper) of any aircraft sales you make, including copies of the buyer's ID if possible.
2018-7-9
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

As far i know only DJI has this Activation/Login system, you could just buy any drone and fly around all you want, why worry if it being done using a DJI brand with older FW?
Should something happen with a drone you have sold it is just telling it has been sold, if possible documented by mails or other contact used when it was sold, not something i would worry about.
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-8 20:29
@Aardvark, But then you wouldn’t be a contributing member of the forum.

That would be a huge loss for all of us regulars here.

And with your encouragement I have decided not to sell all and disappear :-)

Although if the next generation Mavic 2 appears I will be very tempted. I couldn't justify having three.

Then they could point the finger and say "It was him"

And my colloquial reply would be " It wisnae me"
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-9 04:27
A great thought there Aardvark, perhaps begging the need for a registry of  these aircraft. Having said that I bought my 4 Pro in the US and fly it at hoe in the UK. SO would that Registry then need to be international? There is of course that in existence already, its called DJI, but I doubt they would be willing to take on the task. Seems like keeping a paper trail (yup I did say paper) of any aircraft sales you make, including copies of the buyer's ID if possible.

Well registration in U.K will be with us by end of next year, some sort of transfer of ownership (like UK car V5C registration document) would be desireable, but I'm sure it will all happen soon enough.
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-9 15:28
And with your encouragement I have decided not to sell all and disappear :-)

Although if the next generation Mavic 2 appears I will be very tempted. I couldn't justify having three.

Glad to help you over this silly proposition.

Yes, do hang around a bit longer.  

A few more years anyway... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Well i wouldnt sell a used car without having a receipt of purchase i treat anything of value the same way always fill out a receipt and both parties sign buyer gets top copy i keep the carbon copy.
That way if at any time it comes back to try n bite me i have proof of sale.
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 15:43
Glad to help you over this silly proposition.

Yes, do hang around a bit longer.  

"A few more years anyway... haha"

I hope so, I'm on the slippery slope now
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-9 15:54
"A few more years anyway... haha"

I hope so, I'm on the slippery slope now

Take your multivitamins and buck up!!  Haha

We are here to resuscitate...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 16:12
Take your multivitamins and buck up!!  Haha

Vitamins not required when I have Haggis neeps & tatties
2018-7-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-9 16:20
Vitamins not required when I have Haggis neeps & tatties

Take your pill, or you shall be ill!!

Like an oak cask of bourbon. Aged to perfection. ;-)

4B85017E-B3D6-4498-A16D-748232F00A91.jpeg

An apple a day, keeps the vampire away. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-7-9
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-9 15:32
Well registration in U.K will be with us by end of next year, some sort of transfer of ownership (like UK car V5C registration document) would be desireable, but I'm sure it will all happen soon enough.

Of course knowing the UK there will be a 'fee' t cover the costs and all the other bureaucracy.
2018-7-11
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-9 16:25
Take your pill, or you shall be ill!!

Hard core pics now RHP??
2018-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-11 04:16
Of course knowing the UK there will be a 'fee' t cover the costs and all the other bureaucracy.

Well if its the same as the old dog license that will do me, that was 37p before getting scrapped in 1984. Suites me fine, the dog always struggled trying to pass the test at 25 words per minute :-!
2018-7-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I had to glance away for a moment...

A155A20F-4B1F-436A-A081-8ADC3393A635.jpeg
Making it look good...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-11
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-11 10:41

So what is it going to be next RHP, drones without their shells on? May have to rate these pages 18 soon.
2018-7-12
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-11 04:22
Well if its the same as the old dog license that will do me, that was 37p before getting scrapped in 1984. Suites me fine, the dog always struggled trying to pass the test at 25 words per minute :-!

Do I detect showing your age there Aardvark?  You might remember the fee for car radios then? Goes to show that our lot, of whatever persuasion, will tax anything that moves. In fact a lot of things that do not move as well.
2018-7-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-12 04:57
Do I detect showing your age there Aardvark?  You might remember the fee for car radios then? Goes to show that our lot, of whatever persuasion, will tax anything that moves. In fact a lot of things that do not move as well.

Do I detect showing your age there Aardvark?  You might remember the fee for car radios then?

Your cars had radios ? You'll be telling me next they had electric motors to start them

I can vaguely remember friends of my parents had a morris minor car of some description that was hand cranked, and the manually operated side indicators fitted on the door pillar
2018-7-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-12 04:57

If the Geeks could be defined by technology periods then I would be in the Transistor/ Cassette era or 'TraCass' for short (1970-84 (CD's became common)), rather than the previous Valve & '8 Track' era, the  'VaTra' period (1930-1970).
2018-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Type A, Tube amps with vacuum tubes...
Which are available today...

https://www.higherfi.com

The prices have never been higher... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-12 04:55
So what is it going to be next RHP, drones without their shells on? May have to rate these pages 18 soon.

Naked lunch at the drone park? Ha

FB2A292E-E828-4CAB-B77D-1F93622E6192.jpeg

Strip away , the layers!!

RedHotPoker

2018-7-12
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

RHP you are incorrigible
2018-7-13
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-12 05:13
If the Geeks could be defined by technology periods then I would be in the Transistor/ Cassette era or 'TraCass' for short (1970-84 (CD's became common)), rather than the previous Valve & '8 Track' era, the  'VaTra' period (1930-1970).

On that basis I think I qualify for both. I still have memories of watching TV until around 7.00pm when it went off air, and my dad fixing them by looking for the valves that were not glowing. Ahhh, happy times. What if drones worked on valves?? Flight times would be very short methinks.
2018-7-13
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-12 05:06
Do I detect showing your age there Aardvark?  You might remember the fee for car radios then?

Your cars had radios ? You'll be telling me next they had electric motors to start them

Initially it didn't have a radio, or a heater for that matter. It was a little Austin Mini. I did get a radio for it with a power pack the size of the car battery. Inside the power pack, which was separate to the radio, were lots of valves and humming things. No bluetooth connection though!
2018-7-13
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

embayweather Posted at 2018-7-13 04:00
Initially it didn't have a radio, or a heater for that matter. It was a little Austin Mini. I did get a radio for it with a power pack the size of the car battery. Inside the power pack, which was separate to the radio, were lots of valves and humming things. No bluetooth connection though!

Best one had to be

"Do Not Adjust Your Set" transmission when they had a fault at studio

Vaguely remember the first minis my Aunt had one, pre solenoid days, with big foot operated starter button on floor.

For those reading this for the first time, see posts 1-7 for original topic to date :-)
2018-7-13
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1297612 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-11 10:41

2018-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It runs in the family... haha

0148FFD7-C018-494D-955A-C85BFAF3E432.jpeg

RedHotPoker

2018-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

If only for the briefest moment...

But you would never have known it, looking straight on....

24851377-9EA7-4C93-9EA2-1AE78A98A968.gif

RedHotPoker
2018-7-13
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-7-13 09:51
If only for the briefest moment...

LOL!!
2018-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

2BFAD8B1-D546-4B6F-9A3F-3C049E13F4D9.jpeg

Keeping a cool head... haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-13
Use props
Kevin Halle
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thats about right for some people I know!
2018-7-13
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-13 04:30
Best one had to be

"Do Not Adjust Your Set" transmission when they had a fault at studio

I had forgotten ab.out those start buttons. Not the crank handle though. I had an Austin A40, which once upon a time ended up with a flat battery. Stick the big handle in the front end and wind. Yup it started. Nowadays of course there would be so much health and safety nonsense that it would not be allowed, but it was a really useful tool back then.
2018-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules