Calibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56 ft
Canada

Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to fly my P3A in about a year. That means, no updates, no calibration, nothing. So over the weekend, I took the drone to northern MN. I fully charged all the batteries. I was ready to fly on the shores of Lake Superior. Before I did, I wanted to do a calibration. But it didn't do anything. I press "OK", normlaly, it would have the voice prompt. But I heard nothing. So I never calibrate it. But it picked up 14 sats, so I took off and flew. I had no problems but was a little nervous flying out too far.

Any suggestions what I can do? I've read where you calibrate each time you fly. Others have said, you caibrate once and its enough. It's been a while since I've been on here so I wanted to get some inputs again.

Should I calibratre in my backyard and just be done with it? Or just leave it alone?

2018-7-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Only calibrate if really necessary.

Also be aware that your backyard may not be the best place to do it ... you may have cables / pipes all sorts under the ground that can influence your machine. The best place is an open farm field !! And certainly NEVER on a driveway or road surface.... they are prime for having gear buried under.

I like to calibrate after a FW update ... but thats a personal matter and some say not to bother. If I get a message to calibrate on start up - I do not just go ahead and start calibrating. I power off and move a few metres - then power up again ... to check that its not just an anomaly.

I have rarely had any message to calibrate ...

The manual wording is extremely poor and you can basically ignore it.

Nigel
2018-7-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi, Thank you for the inquiry about calibrating your DJI Phantom 3 Advance. It is not necessary to calibrate the Drone regularly. The DJI Go application will notify you if the Drone needs calibration. Just remember when calibrating please avoid places with interference ( places with lots of metal objects that can interrupt signals while calibrating ).
2018-7-9
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Canada

OK. I was under the impressions (from other posts) that if you stay local in your area, calibration is not needed. However, if you go to a place hundreds of miles away, it's a good idea to re-calibrate.
2018-7-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Blackbeagle Posted at 2018-7-9 08:18
OK. I was under the impressions (from other posts) that if you stay local in your area, calibration is not needed. However, if you go to a place hundreds of miles away, it's a good idea to re-calibrate.

Do not ask this question !

You will get all sorts of answers from 'experts' and you will not be any wiser.

Just be happy and go fly ... you need to go significant distance to consider it .. so its really not an issue ...

Nigel
2018-7-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes, that was the old advice of a couple years ago.  Now your Go app will advise you if you need to calibrate.  And it usually does not need it.  Good luck
2018-7-9
Use props
Blackbeagle
lvl.3
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-9 08:39
Yes, that was the old advice of a couple years ago.  Now your Go app will advise you if you need to calibrate.  And it usually does not need it.  Good luck

I actually use Litchi
2018-7-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Litchi as you know has Compass calibration - but again - not needed really.

Its not a bad idea to have GO installed but FORCE STOPPED on Android to avoid any problems. GO actually is more use than Litchi when it comes to set up and calibrations.

I was a staunch Litchi user - I really like the auto video start / stop it has ... but latest GO has actually brought me back to using GO.

Nigel
2018-7-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Unless you modify the Phantom there is no need to ever calibrate the compass.
The people that recommend it are people that don't understand what calibrating the compass does.
2018-7-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

What did I say in Post 5 ??

No need for crystal ball .....

Nigel
2018-7-9
Use props
Advanced