Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Help A Nubbie Out
1451 12 2015-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

Hi guys, received my P3A yesterday (without the extra battery that is part of my order). Im a nubbie who has very little if not any experience in flying drones (only 5 times before with a piece of $#%@) and so im a bit scared to take this baby out. So far the only thing I have done is to try to do the firmware upgrade which seems to be updated already (logs for both P3 and remote read same or newer version is already installed (something like that and at work so trying to remember what it stated). I installed the app on my Iphone 6 and activated my P3A in beginners mode but have not taken it out yet to fly. Prop guards come in 2 days and may wait for that. Any suggestions to help a Nubie out would be helpful.

2015-5-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Read the manual several times and view the videos from DJI on YouTube as well.  I have sticked them at the front of the thread as well.  You will be fine as long as you keep the P3 in front of you and you fly within your limits.  Get out there beyond visual range and you will have issues.
2015-5-19
Use props
username0099478
lvl.4

United States

Watch videos after video
read the manual front to back several times.
Keep it in beginner mode for awhile, several flights in a wide open field away from any trees.
Don't let the battery get below 40 % for awhile to be safe until you know its/ your limits.

Try to keep video recording while you fly to watch in amazement of what it can fly or in the rare case something happens you have a better proof that it hopefully wasn't you.
2015-5-19
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

And use the flight simulator!
lt's not much to look at but it "teaches" your fingers where to go to do what manoeuvers.
lt's a pain having to switch on the bird to use it, but getting a feel for the controller is a good way to pass the time.
2015-5-19
Use props
scrufytam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1026309 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read the manual several times, watched a ton of YouTube videos and took it easy for a long time.
It took me forever to get comfortable going over tree altitude.
2015-5-19
Use props
Robharris07
lvl.2

United States

I'm semi experience. Few about 100 times before I got this one, and I'm still cautious with it. I haven't gone more than 200' away from me, increasing each time I take it out. Make sure you are in an open area. If not, just fly it straight up and let it hover 30 feet above you. See how sensative the controls are. You'll be fine.
2015-5-19
Use props
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

Just flew my P3A for the first time today. seems to be running very well. had some wind today so landing on my case took some work however this seems very nice to fly. Ill try not to get over confident and keep it in beginners mode for awhile. here is my video:
https://www.facebook.com/spcsaw/ ... ?type=3&theater
2015-5-20
Use props
Hornet22
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Looked a tad sketchy on the case landing. Say goodbye to your props ;-)

I carried out serval hours of flight simulator time using an app (QuadcopterFX) on my iPad before flying my first quad. This actually helped with understanding how the orientation works, how to fly both line of sight and FPV as well as throwing in windy conditions and flying manual.

Small inputs on the sticks, wide open spaces/fields and as others have mentioned read, read and re read the instructions. It's not difficult to fly the Phantom but all of the tips helped.
2015-5-20
Use props
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

Hornet22 Posted at 2015-5-21 14:25
Looked a tad sketchy on the case landing. Say goodbye to your props ;-)

I carried out serval hours  ...

Yes I had a bit of an issue with the wind and also it would not stay in one place. Since then I have flown about 3 other times and had no issues with landing. It appears that I land a bit softer than putting it on Auto. Here is my latest flight:
https://www.facebook.com/spcsaw/ ... f_t=video_processed
2015-5-27
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

How do the prop guards fit?  Where did you get them?

thanks.
2015-5-27
Use props
spcsaw
lvl.1

United States

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... _detailpage_o00_s01 for the prop guards and yes it is a bit close on the case however it is got room to keep the bird without touching the top.
2015-6-1
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

As others have mentioned take it slow. There's no hurry. I owned 2 Phantom 2's before this P3 and I still flew the entire first battery, and half of another full charge, just hovering no more than 10 feet high. I never flew it more than 30 feet away from me. Get used to the controls and how fast, or slow, you may feel the response time is. Great tip: Keep the phantom front pointing away from you with the battery and rear facing you as you get used to it. That way moving left on the stick is always moves the Phantom left, forward on the stick always moves the Phantom forward etc. ect. When the front and camera are pointing at you everything in reversed on the controls. Left on the stick with make it go right as you're looking at it. THAT can be very disorienting real quick when your new. Honestly my heart rate still goes up a bit when I'm flying back home, low with the Phantom pointing toward me. I look nervous in all my Phantom selfies... for that reason. LOL
Have fun.
2015-6-1
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

And watch some vids on catch-landing.  That is the only way I ever land now - p2V+, p3a.
2015-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules