Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Fly ‘not so’ more combo
1306 9 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3b4b6f2f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17510 ft
Switzerland

I bought my brand new spark fly more combo less than a month ago after reading all the details about the drone and thought what it stated it could do then it would be a bit of good kit.  
After just over a week and only flying it outside on 3 occasions the camera failed on the drone.
I contacted DJI tech support and wrote on this forum for help (original post in pic) and was told to check the firmware, which was ok.
So the camera had stopped working after three flights, great!
I managed to swap my spark under warranty for a brand new one. Excellent I thought, must of been just unlucky to get a faulty one first time.

I took my brand new Spark out at the weekend, lflying less than 290 meters away from me and I lose video transmission! Surely this can’t be faulty also I thought!
So I bring it back home and charge up the batteries, take it back out again, same thing, 290 meters away and I lose video transmission!!
This is very odd considering one of the ‘fantastic’ features of the Spark is that you can receive HD WiFi video transmission up to 2Km away!!!
Well not with this Spark you can’t!

Considering this little bit of kit isn’t exactly cheap, to say I am very disappointed and annoyed is an understatement!

Tomorrow I shall be returning my Spark fly ‘not so’ more combo back and asking for a refund!
6B4E256E-DE74-42A1-94BF-EC5B16F3B337.png
2018-7-9
Use props
spookster
Captain
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

since the ac is very tiny i get nervous when it is more then 200 meters away. trying to keep visual line of sight at all times, also a regulation thing. i once did a range test and video feed got sluggish at around 300 meters. spark itself was controlable up to 600 meters and thats with ce mode active and phone connected on 2,4ghz wifi. it was dusk so i could see the leds of spark that far. 2km range is for fcc mode only, which i cannot use legally in germany.

i am pretty happy with spark and would not give it away, but alas: if you're unhappy with the product return it.
2018-7-9
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.4
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

Hi there,

since you're flying in Switzerland, according to DJI, the maximum range for the spark would be 300m (5.8 GHz) or 500m (2.4 GHz). This is due to the limited Wifi signal strength of the remote under CE regulations, which apply in Europe (and Switzerland). I am assuming you were flying using 5.8 GHz and lost video transmission at 290m, which is almost the maximum.

There are a lot of factors that can influence the video feed, such as the area your flying in (trees, buildings, interfering  Wifi/Bluetooth signals etc.), how you hold the remote / position the antennas, AC altitude etc.

If I were you, I would try again in an area without any objects and interfering signals at a decent height (let's say 60m) and with 2.4 GHz instead of 5.8 GHz.

Hope that helps.
2018-7-10
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

I'm very happy with the Spark and wouldn't return it, but the range issue also greatly disappointed me. Not so much the range itself, as I'm not particularly interested in flying 100s of metres away, but the poor signal strength and frequent loss of transmission making me much more reliant on RTH than I would like. I think DJI could do more to advertise the Spark in CE countries with the range limitations being more explicit. I've learned to live with it, and greatly enjoy the Spark, but I remain disappointed.
2018-7-10
Use props
fans3b4b6f2f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17510 ft
Switzerland

Thank you all for your comments and feed back. Very interesting to other people’s experiences and views.
I think you are correct maybe there should be a bit more info from DJI on the limitations in CE countries! I will take it out again today try what @Flip_L recommend before I make my final decision!
2018-7-10
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.4

Must be a location thing.  I'm in the U.S. and I've had my Spark nearly a mile away and still had smooth video/data transmission and full control of the bird.
2018-7-10
Use props
JimFandango
Second Officer
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-7-10 06:03
Must be a location thing.  I'm in the U.S. and I've had my Spark nearly a mile away and still had smooth video/data transmission and full control of the bird.

You're correct; it is a location thing. The USA allows greater transmission power from the RC under FCC, which allows for greater range and fewer dropouts. CE countries allow a much weaker transmission strength, with all the attendant implications.
2018-7-10
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Video transmission is great until the pilot lifts up the controller to get a better look at the screen which blanks the antennas.  Hides them from the drone.  "Aghh.   My video cut out."  

So many variables with data transmission over radio waves.  I have lost video a 200 feet out and have had great video 800 yards out.  When I first started flying I lost video over a corn field because I lifted up the controller to see the screen better in the blinding sunshine.  
2018-7-10
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.4

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-7-10 08:17
Video transmission is great until the pilot lifts up the controller to get a better look at the screen which blanks the antennas.  Hides them from the drone.  "Aghh.   My video cut out."  

So many variables with data transmission over radio waves.  I have lost video a 200 feet out and have had great video 800 yards out.  When I first started flying I lost video over a corn field because I lifted up the controller to see the screen better in the blinding sunshine.

While I've never had that happen, you could get a cheap sunshade for your device to prevent the need to lift up your screen for a better view in the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/Pakesi-Fo ... +sunshade&psc=1
2018-7-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

So sorry for the late response. I've checked your previous post and responded as well.
As for the flight distance, do you fly with 5.8GHz and connected with WiFi? For CE mode, the maximum flight distance is about 500m, you may change to another place and check again. Please keep us posted on the latest progress, thanks!
2018-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules