Issue with grayed out colors
1886 21 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sonofthesun
lvl.2
Ukraine

Hi,
I remember seen similar threads on forum, but cannot find them anymore.
I noticed my MA processing some scenes making background in grey tones without color information present in case of cloudy weather.
Is this "known" issue to dji? will this be adressed in future firmware updates or I bought a "toy" that cannot produce decent image quality?
ma.jpg

ma2.jpg
2018-7-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not sure what area's you are referring too, but these look ok.
Especially since the low quality of the light you are having there.
Very little contrast in these area's.

Please share a full resolution file and state where the problem is. (if you can, use Flickr for a full res upload)
Also share the settings you are using (color profile etc.)
2018-7-9
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They look ok to me too. The grey areas i can see are called clouds...... that's all I can see!
2018-7-9
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I posted my colour issue before. https://forum.dji.com/thread-149735-1-1.html

But your photo looks ok to me. The ridge in background looks gray is natural. MA camera colour lost is for whole picture. Not just an item in the photo.
2018-7-10
Use props
sonofthesun
lvl.2
Ukraine

Ok, if you say it's ok, so be it.
Newbie to videography, I'm only used to DSLR vivid photo quality
Probably should play with post-processing more.

Thanks for feedback, as a bonus for you, here's a video those screenshots are taken from:
2018-7-10
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

photo's looks good and cool vid.
2018-7-10
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go to style and turn your contrast to +3
2018-7-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

sonofthesun Posted at 2018-7-10 00:53
Newbie to videography, I'm only used to DSLR vivid photo quality

Very nice video
2018-7-10
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Fabulous video, well done indeed.
2018-7-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I really like these photos. You could shoot the same scene in full light and compare. It's hard to tell what kind of light you're dealing with in these pictures.
2018-7-10
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

MavicFit91 Posted at 2018-7-10 06:11
Go to style and turn your contrast to +3

That's a bad idea since you will lose details. It's better to add that in post rather than before.
In fact you might even want to lower your contrast to get more details and add more contrast later on.
2018-7-10
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

The sensor in MA does not handle well low light photos. If you take pics in RAW format, then you'll be required to post process the pictures and add more saturation, for example.

I usually have to postprocess the pictures, but yours look ok for the conditions.
2018-7-10
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

I really enjoyed your video. Well edited footage of short scenes in interesting countryside. Well done.
2018-7-10
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

saviour Posted at 2018-7-10 21:57
That's a bad idea since you will lose details. It's better to add that in post rather than before.
In fact you might even want to lower your contrast to get more details and add more contrast later on.

I was going to say the same. Make the drone lose detail by default is not a good idea.
2018-7-10
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-7-10 23:05
The sensor in MA does not handle well low light photos. If you take pics in RAW format, then you'll be required to post process the pictures and add more saturation, for example.

I usually have to postprocess the pictures, but yours look ok for the conditions.

You can not add color to something that is grey to begin with? seriously
2018-7-12
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-7-10 23:23
I was going to say the same. Make the drone lose detail by default is not a good idea.

This is incorrect,
2018-7-12
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

saviour Posted at 2018-7-10 21:57
In fact you might even want to lower your contrast to get more details and add more contrast later on.

I am sorry, But you are wrong. You cant bring in post that does not exist in the photo?
2018-7-12
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

MavicFit91 Posted at 2018-7-12 12:45
I am sorry, But you are wrong. You cant bring in post that does not exist in the photo?

Alright then all of the youtube videos are wrong, like literally every detailed explanation, and you are correct. :O

No seriously, your answer seems ignorant. When you lower the contrast you gain more details in the shadows. You can add contrast later on in post.
That's how it is.
2018-7-12
Use props
BoXiS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224934 ft
Slovakia

MavicFit91 Posted at 2018-7-12 12:45

From what I see, Saviour is talking about contrast and its effect on detail preservation, you are mixing it with color information that you get from the sensor itself.

He did not say you will get colors back when you reduce contrast (though in theory you get them back in some dark areas as a side-effect of reducing contrast ; black will become gray-ish with some detail information etc.).

As far as I see, he just replied to your advice, where you told the OP to increase contrast to +3 which was pointless as it just removes fine details from the picture with (most of the time) no way of getting them back in post, therefore saviours advice was correct here.
2018-7-12
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

BoXiS Posted at 2018-7-12 23:22
From what I see, Saviour is talking about contrast and its effect on detail preservation, you are mixing it with color information that you get from the sensor itself.

He did not say you will get colors back when you reduce contrast (though in theory you get them back in some dark areas as a side-effect of reducing contrast ; black will become gray-ish with some detail information etc.).

It was not. Contrast does not take away detail. Have you tried it? I would look at your pictures but you do not have any?
2018-7-13
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

saviour Posted at 2018-7-12 21:10
Alright then all of the youtube videos are wrong, like literally every detailed explanation, and you are correct. :O

No seriously, your answer seems ignorant. When you lower the contrast you gain more details in the shadows. You can add contrast later on in post.

You are ridiculous. Contrast can increase color saturation. Turn the lengthen the exposure? Then you will have more light entering the sensor. Man you dont even have pictures? who would take you seriously?
2018-7-13
Use props
MavicFit91
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

saviour Posted at 2018-7-12 21:10

No seriously, your answer seems ignorant. When you lower the contrast you gain more details in the shadows. You can add contrast later on in post.

The youtube vides are not wrong you are. We are talking about stills not video
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules