Mavic Air full speed self crash
1917 21 2018-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cnomura
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15617 ft

Last sunday, sunny and no wind. I took off and realized that was on OPTI mode, kept the drone still in 10 meters waiting for the GPS. After 40s all good, GPS ok. As I was walking to the shade to get a better contrast on my phone, suddently the drone went full speed towards some trees. I didn't even touch the controller.
It was my 7th proper flight and I'm pretty sure that was not a begginer mistake.
Besides 2 broken propellers, gimbal calibration and some good scratches, it seems that everything works fine.
Of course, being a brand new drone, I would like to send it to a full check but as I'm in Brazil I guess that would not be an option.

If anyone could please help me to understand what happened, It would be great.
Please find the flight log in the link below.

Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95fle7 ... 4-52-12%5D.txt?dl=0

2018-7-9
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Uploaded it to phantomhelp for easier viewing.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/APET6IME508J5775QXVX/
2018-7-9
Use props
djiuser_3nedWkWaAq9b
New
Canada

Same problem here. After 5-10 mins flight without problems I wanted to bring my Mavic Air down when it decided out of a sudden to crash sideways into a tree. No wind at all and I didn't touch the joystick.
2018-7-9
Use props
cnomura
lvl.1

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-9 17:56
Uploaded it to phantomhelp for easier viewing.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/APET6IME508J5775QXVX/

great, thanks!
2018-7-9
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Yikes. I hope the log files can give you some insight and that DJI can get to the bottom of it.
2018-7-9
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

NP.  Looking at the log file I really do not see anything abnormal.  
2018-7-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

we all have our rough times, even experienced pilots... i hope however you get free repair of your drone!

i crashed into some overgrowth shrubbery today and my mavic pro, did a cartwheel out of the air..  but mine was pilot error not aircraft failure, managed to look away just long enough to clip the top of the shrubbery overgrowth at 40MPH with the front of the drone right on the antenna legs...   all good with my mavic pro though, no damage i can see or find and it hovers like normal, which is good....  probably one of my most epic crashes..
2018-7-9
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

I had a look at your flight as well.

Your drone was hovering 10 meters high in OPTI mode, waiting for GPS signals (as you described)
The moment the HP was set MA started to increase speed and was flying away from that point but no speed indication for the first few meters. Without RC input heading changed from 127 degrees to 070 and back to 127 before your started your RC input.

IMO your MA was confused, GPS location IMU readings etc. Why, don`t really know, mayby the sensors were not active at the same time so having different readings to calculate with.When drifting VPS heigt started to indicate at 10 meters with few values of 0.4 meter. (mayby flying over bushes etc, than thats OK)

I personally would never fly without a good GPS signal (min. 11 sats and and good reception), so takeoff in GPS mode and not in OPTI.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
2018-7-9
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_3nedWkWaAq9b Posted at 2018-7-9 18:05
Same problem here. After 5-10 mins flight without problems I wanted to bring my Mavic Air down when it decided out of a sudden to crash sideways into a tree. No wind at all and I didn't touch the joystick.

Hi,

I have ofcourse no idea what happend to your drone, but if you like read my checklist.
If you already know this all than i have not sent this post, ok?  

cheers
JJB

MyCanIFlyCheckListV2.1.pdf

304.54 KB, Down times: 20

2018-7-9
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Should wait longer till the GPS locked before takeoff. Hover on air to wait for GPS only should use when you have no choice to take off from location covered around with poor GPS signal. There is risk to take off without GPS locked.
2018-7-10
Use props
cnomura
lvl.1

JJBspark Posted at 2018-7-9 23:00
Hi,

I had a look at your flight as well.

Thanks for the comprehensive analysis. I'm in touch with the support to see If I can get an unit replacement due to this malfunction. Let's hope that DJI has a customer support as good as their products.
2018-7-12
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

cnomura Posted at 2018-7-12 18:20
Thanks for the comprehensive analysis. I'm in touch with the support to see If I can get an unit replacement due to this malfunction. Let's hope that DJI has a customer support as good as their products.

Doesn’t sound like a “malfunction “ to me, sounds more like lack of care in obtaining GPS lock AND good GPS signal, coupled with a potential compass vs true heading misalignment.  But good luck with trying to get a replacement
2018-7-12
Use props
Optimus_Prime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

@JJBspark: can you give me PM link to your software topic? I search around but unable to find it. Thank you very much
2018-7-12
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Optimus_Prime Posted at 2018-7-12 23:11
@JJBspark: can you give me PM link to your software topic? I search around but unable to find it. Thank you very much

ofcourse :  https://forum.dji.com/thread-145649-1-1.html
2018-7-13
Use props
dronto
Second Officer

Hope you can get a replacement drone and sorry to hear about the crash.

Very nice and thorough analysis by JJBSpark
2018-7-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry to read the crash. Please kindly contact our support and report the accident: https://www.dji.com/support If the unit is still under warranty period, we'll arrange data analysis to check the exact status. If you encounter any difficulties during the progress, feel free to contact us with your case number, we'd like to help.
2018-7-15
Use props
cnomura
lvl.1
United States

Just an update in this case, I open a case and sent the log to DJI. They have confirmed as a warranty case and offered me a replacement. As I mentioned before, I live in Brazil but would be in US for a short period of time due to a business trip. They were able to ship me the unit in this period of time. I´m super satisfied with the Customer Service! Thanks for all that helped me here and safe flights to everyone.
2018-7-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

cnomura Posted at 2018-7-28 11:03
Just an update in this case, I open a case and sent the log to DJI. They have confirmed as a warranty case and offered me a replacement. As I mentioned before, I live in Brazil but would be in US for a short period of time due to a business trip. They were able to ship me the unit in this period of time. I´m super satisfied with the Customer Service! Thanks for all that helped me here and safe flights to everyone.

This is absolutely great to hear, thank you for sharing the good outcome! I wish you always happy landings in the future!
2018-7-28
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome outcome!  Congrats!

But please,  as mentioned many times......leave that puppy ON THE GROUND until you have "HOME POINT RECORDED"   and this requires many more than zero sats.

Good luck, and GREAT Flying!

Randy
2018-7-28
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

cnomura Posted at 2018-7-28 11:03

They were able to ship me the unit in this period of time.

C o o l !

2018-7-28
Use props
Hoser848
lvl.1
United States

i wanted to jump on this thread as i have been flying DJI products since 2014. Last week i took off my MA just like cnomura describes and which i have done plenty of times in the past. Took off to about 6ft waited to get satellites went up to about 40' and the MA took off fastest i have ever seen and would not respond to any controller inputs. it crashed into a building about 200' away and is now being repaired luckily it did not damage or hurt anyone or anything.

trust me no pilot error as i have hundreds of hours flying RC devices. my concern is i cant have this happen again, i can certainly follow your rule about not taking off before acquiring satellites but how do i know if this was the satellite issue or a problem with the MA after years of use or ever a software glitch.

2021-4-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hoser848 Posted at 4-13 05:25
i wanted to jump on this thread as i have been flying DJI products since 2014. Last week i took off my MA just like cnomura describes and which i have done plenty of times in the past. Took off to about 6ft waited to get satellites went up to about 40' and the MA took off fastest i have ever seen and would not respond to any controller inputs. it crashed into a building about 200' away and is now being repaired luckily it did not damage or hurt anyone or anything.

trust me no pilot error as i have hundreds of hours flying RC devices. my concern is i cant have this happen again, i can certainly follow your rule about not taking off before acquiring satellites but how do i know if this was the satellite issue or a problem with the MA after years of use or ever a software glitch.

Hi Hoser,

Best to start a new thread (this one is from 2018), and uploud your flightlog as well.

cheers
JJB
2021-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules