DJI GO 4.2.20 Incompatibility with Android 8.0.0
5128 30 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Treetopuas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10069 ft
United States

Following a recent upgrade to GO 4.2.20 I started having frequent breakup of the video downlink to my Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android V8.0.0.  I called the support line and they acknowledge that there is a known problem that they are working on, an incompatability of 4.2.20 with Android 8.   They suggested I roll back to an earlier version of Go 4 which I did, 4.2.14.  The problem went away and the app even loads faster and the video latency is much much less.  Stay tuned for an update from the factory.
  Doug

2018-7-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Indeed,

Just look at the most recent app ratings for the GO 4 app on the Google Play store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dji.go.v4&hl=en&showAllReviews=true

Though the iOS app is in better straights, we also have pain with it.

DJI needs to overhaul this app badly!
2018-7-11
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

It works perfectly on android 8.  he issue is with Samsung.  But yes, roll back if its a problem.
2018-7-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-11 11:56
It works perfectly on android 8.  he issue is with Samsung.  But yes, roll back if its a problem.

Then this issue is even worse, as, like it or not, Samsung is the biggest Android OEM, so a problem with their devices makes this issue massively visible!
2018-7-11
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Samsung doesnt run "android" though and thats the problem.  If you buy a device knowing it runs a massively altered (and generally 12 month out of date) kernel you cant really be amazed when there are issues.
2018-7-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

To be clear on this.  When you say support line, do you mean Samsung or DJI?
2018-7-11
Use props
Treetopuas
lvl.1
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-7-11 12:04
To be clear on this.  When you say support line, do you mean Samsung or DJI?

For clarification, Yes the issue as described by DJI support, is Go 4.2.20 running on a Samsung running Android 8.0.0.   I talked with the North America/Canada DJI support tech.  

Thanks for the feedback.
  Doug
2018-7-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Treetopuas Posted at 2018-7-11 12:09
For clarification, Yes the issue as described by DJI support, is Go 4.2.20 running on a Samsung running Android 8.0.0.   I talked with the North America/Canada DJI support tech.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for clarifying.   
2018-7-11
Use props
Treetopuas
lvl.1
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-11 11:51
Indeed,

Just look at the most recent app ratings for the GO 4 app on the Google Play store:

I just read the posting on the Google Play store for DJI go 4.2.20 -- not pretty.  The timing on when this problem started is consistent with my experience as well.
  Doug
2018-7-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-11 11:56
It works perfectly on android 8.  he issue is with Samsung.  But yes, roll back if its a problem.

See post #7 above.  Problem is with DJI's GO-4 app.
2018-7-11
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

No its not.  It works fine on android 8.  Both 8.0 and 8.1.  The original statement isnt true.  It doesn't work on Samsung OS which is far from "android".
2018-7-11
Use props
Treetopuas
lvl.1
United States

I hope we can agree that we are not going to get Samsung to fix anything regarding DJI apps.  DJI will need to fix their app which worked fine on Samsung, OS 8 until the recent upgrade.  
I suspect that DJI has known about this problem for a while.  I wish they would let the user community know what they know when they know it.  
  Doug
2018-7-11
Use props
Sea Parrot
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89154 ft

Treetopuas Posted at 2018-7-11 12:30
I hope we can agree that we are not going to get Samsung to fix anything regarding DJI apps.  DJI will need to fix their app which worked fine on Samsung, OS 8 until the recent upgrade.  
I suspect that DJI has known about this problem for a while.  I wish they would let the user community know what they know when they know it.  
  Doug

One reason they won't get Samsung to fix the problem is that it's not a Samsung-specific issue. It also occurs on Nexus 6P phones running Google stock Android 8.1.0
2018-7-12
Use props
BJD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75650 ft
United States

Where do you get the previous version of the app?
I tried reaching out to DJI support and they told me my phone (Essential PH-1 running stock android 8.1.0) was unsupported and I needed to get a different mobile device. I have never had an issue until the latest version and its clear by the hundreds of reviews on the play store that the problem isn't my device.
2018-7-12
Use props
Treetopuas
lvl.1
United States

BJD Posted at 2018-7-12 13:15
I tried reaching out to DJI support and they told me my phone (Essential PH-1 running stock android 8.1.0) was unsupported and I needed to get a different mobile device. I have never had an issue until the latest version and its clear by the hundreds of reviews on the play store that the problem isn't my device.

apkpure.com.  Scroll down a ways and you will find a listing of older versions that you can go back to.  Uninstall your current version, then download the .APK file for 4.2.16.  That should put you back to a known good state.
Doug
2018-7-12
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

DJI is hosting 4.2.16 here at post #4

https://forum.dji.com/thread-156579-1-1.html

2018-7-12
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Sea Parrot Posted at 2018-7-12 04:51
One reason they won't get Samsung to fix the problem is that it's not a Samsung-specific issue. It also occurs on Nexus 6P phones running Google stock Android 8.1.0

It is NOT a Samsung only problem. Reports from many major brand and common brand Android devices are getting the issues. Tablets or phones. Samsung users reporting more since more Samsung products are sold than the others. Samsung is not messing with DJI app. The app is flawed, and most likely is just way too big now with the additions of other products.

Most with S8's S9, Note 8 in the Samsung line are running Go4 just fine. Problem is more on the devices not with those high of specs. Note 8 is a beast. 1200nit screen, 2.3G multi core cpu, and 6G ram. You can throw a lot of processes at that and it works fine.

Tablets like the Tab 8 and Tab 10.1 or S2 worked prior to 4.2.20 as well. They sit on the edge of recommended spec. Have not really been updated to 8.0. Most are on Marshmallow or Nougat. Those same users rolling back to Go4 4.2.14 or 4.2.16 have restored video feed. So it is NOT the device can't work the app properly, it's more like the App is too big to run efficiently on those devices. Same will happen to iOS as the app gets more bloated.

4.2.16 and after with all the Air updates seem to be where all the problems started. Not just Android though. Many with iOS devices just right above the cpu and ram requirements of the Go4 app all of a sudden started to fail. Some of those devices were removed from the compat list.

2018-7-12
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-11 12:20
No its not.  It works fine on android 8.  Both 8.0 and 8.1.  The original statement isnt true.  It doesn't work on Samsung OS which is far from "android".

Well you are right and wrong at the same time. If you take a look at the Samsung S7 after the update to Oreo you will see that the available ram is just under a gig well around 900mb to be precise, the recent update to 8.0 from Samsung has killed the much available ram on the phone itself causing the phone to run very slow and also heat up under strain, in regards to the Go4 app because of its current size and the amount of background memory it uses to run the S7 is not ideal for it now hence why when you downgrade to an older version namely 4.1.x.x it works fine because the size of those apps including the memory it uses in the background is much less.
2018-7-14
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-7-14 10:01
Well you are right and wrong at the same time. If you take a look at the Samsung S7 after the update to Oreo you will see that the available ram is just under a gig well around 900mb to be precise, the recent update to 8.0 from Samsung has killed the much available ram on the phone itself causing the phone to run very slow and also heat up under strain, in regards to the Go4 app because of its current size and the amount of background memory it uses to run the S7 is not ideal for it now hence why when you downgrade to an older version namely 4.1.x.x it works fine because the size of those apps including the memory it uses in the background is much less.

All of that has nothing to do with Android versions and everything to do with Samsung.
2018-7-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-14 10:26
All of that has nothing to do with Android versions and everything to do with Samsung.

What type of update would you call 8.0 or 8.1, Android or Tizen. Samsung uses Android on its phones and nothing else, it may not be pure Android like the Google Nexus because of all Samsungs bloatware but it is ANdroid none the less no matter which ever way you look at it.
2018-7-14
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Samsung Android.  That is NOT android.  Android AOSP is freely available online as is the full source code for it.  Samsung take that and alter it.  They alter the hardware layer, they use their own SOCs, they alter the memory management, the display management, the security modules and massively alter the user interface.

It works find on android 8.0,8.1.  Not tried it on 8.2 preview yet but i dont see any reason why not.  If you alter anything enough you start breaking things and thats samsungs products.
Other manufacturers alter the OS far less and have far few issues.
2018-7-14
Use props
nnote
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1358048 ft
United States

Im on a Nexus 6p which is pretty much pure android as you can get. Out of the 8 months I have had my MP, I have had maybe 2 months of it being usable.
The video downlink is horrible. Im tired of constant updates/downgrading trying to find the right combo and all the generic bologna "oh try factory reset and re firmware it" responses.
2018-7-14
Use props
djiuser_e9MkNhqgkP46
lvl.1
United States

Doug, been rippin' my hair out the past couple weeks.  Think you've nailed it.  THANK YOU.
2018-7-14
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-14 13:19
Samsung Android.  That is NOT android.  Android AOSP is freely available online as is the full source code for it.  Samsung take that and alter it.  They alter the hardware layer, they use their own SOCs, they alter the memory management, the display management, the security modules and massively alter the user interface.

It works find on android 8.0,8.1.  Not tried it on 8.2 preview yet but i dont see any reason why not.  If you alter anything enough you start breaking things and thats samsungs products.

???

Out of many Android users in the local drone club here, there are Samsung, Acer, Nexus, Nvidia Shield, Iconia, Huawei,  devices and others. Many are beyond updates from mfg, but some on Oreo or Nougat and they all worked fine until 4.2.20. Now most if not all have experienced the bad video feed. Tried everything in settings on devices, or other. Litchi runs fine, 4.2.16 runs well for them too. Video got worse after 4.2.16

Samsung adds some things, but most people can remove them. Some you can't. Doesn't matter though again because all these devices were fine before the last Go4 update.

Samsung is a very popular phone and tablet. Specs for newer devices should run Go4 without an issue.

Even my iOS mini4 is not liking some changes to the app. I get choppy blocks from time to time in the feed. My guess is the tablet simply is at the edge of workable and not. 2G Ram A8. Go4 is a resource eater. Even Ipads like mine may not be working well enough if the app gets any bigger.
2018-7-15
Use props
smorlock
Flight distance : 78543 ft
United States

BJD Posted at 2018-7-12 13:15
I tried reaching out to DJI support and they told me my phone (Essential PH-1 running stock android 8.1.0) was unsupported and I needed to get a different mobile device. I have never had an issue until the latest version and its clear by the hundreds of reviews on the play store that the problem isn't my device.

I have the same problem after buying a discounted Essential to dedicate to flying.  Long gone are the days where the software developer lists a handful of devices their product is compatible with.  This is a problem with DJI and not the phone manufacturer.   If you are at a roadblock, Litchi still appears to work fine.
2018-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

.20 seemed to cause pixellation on a variety of OS versions (ie most).
2018-8-17
Use props
smorlock
Flight distance : 78543 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-11 12:20
No its not.  It works fine on android 8.  Both 8.0 and 8.1.  The original statement isnt true.  It doesn't work on Samsung OS which is far from "android".

Your statement that Samsung is far from Android is absolutely false.   What do you have to back this up with?  Futhermore, Samsung has a staggering Android marke tshare.  See AppBrain - Top Android phone manufacturers.  For many, it is Android...

2018-8-17
Use props
Squashpile
lvl.4
Flight distance : 214019 ft
United States

Flew today for first time in weeks. Had too many disconnect and vid issues in the last month or two so basically been grounded. Tried with latest app and getting slow video and pixelation just a few feet away. I had one aircraft disconnect. I never had any issues until the last two months or so. It pretty much sucks. Not using Samsung here, but am on Android.
2018-8-17
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

Squashpile Posted at 2018-8-17 16:13
Flew today for first time in weeks. Had too many disconnect and vid issues in the last month or two so basically been grounded. Tried with latest app and getting slow video and pixelation just a few feet away. I had one aircraft disconnect. I never had any issues until the last two months or so. It pretty much sucks. Not using Samsung here, but am on Android.

Which device? What ram, what cpu speed? What version android?

Since recent 4.2.24 Go4 update, many Android devices reporting to be working well again. These devices are also running current firmware .0400

You can also try a few other things. First, the cable. If using the side port, try using a USB cable from the RC's middle usb jack to your device.

Here are some other things to try for Android to free up memory if memory is limited in your device:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-160576-1-1.html
2018-8-18
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
United States

smorlock Posted at 2018-8-17 04:53
Your statement that Samsung is far from Android is absolutely false.   What do you have to back this up with?  Futhermore, Samsung has a staggering Android marke tshare.  See AppBrain - Top Android phone manufacturers.  For many, it is Android...

Every mfg will have their own version of Android with their own extras. None are stock clean versions. Samsung does things slightly different than most, but the basic OS is Android other than the additives for Samsung;s own apps. Many can be disabled, some cannot. I have not run into a single issue where a Samsung related app has caused any Go4 failures, or failures to other product apps I use. From cameras to digital mixers for live music.  The issues with Go4, were from Go4. Those issues were widespread across many many devices and mfg's of devices.

In terms of Samsung, only my S3 Tab 820 was affected, Note 8 was always fine. Puzzled many to see the S3 have issues considering it's power and ram spec. Latest fix to Go4 4.2.24 pretty much proved the fault was in the app. We have Android devices with 2G or less ram and 1.3G cpu's now running fine. S3 runs as it once did, even in full HD video feed.
2018-8-18
Use props
ryguy3295
lvl.1
Flight distance : 44032 ft

United States

Wondering if anyone has found a solution for this. I'm flying a regular Phantom 4 (not a advanced or pro) and using a Moto X4/Android 8.1.0, from my understanding it's about as basic Android OS as you can get (I bought it directly from google). A few months ago I was able to connect to the drone without an issue, now when I plug my phone into the controller the app can't connect to the drone. Not sure if it was the firmware update to the drone, the OS or the app update itself. I've tried using older versions of the app with no success.
2018-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules