• >>>
United Kingdom

Tello            
2018-7-11
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

The blade inductrix RTF is a micro drone but is stable and durable.  It is $50 with the RC controller and $35ish without the controller (called BNF).  It is an indoors drone that can take crashing.  Getting your orientation locked into your muscle memory is the key.  Nose in is the most difficult.  
2018-7-11
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Agree with A CW, just bought a Tello only Euro100, next week will be testing it out.
2018-7-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-11 14:28
Agree with A CW, just bought a Tello only Euro100, next week will be testing it out.

Makes sense given what the OP is wanting the drone for mate.
2018-7-12
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Another vote for the Tello.

In the box it may look like another brushed toy quad but when you pick it it up it feels quite substantial. Under the bonnet/hood it is quite a sophisticated little machine and I do believe it is the ideal precursor to owning a Spark. The optical position hold is rock solid even outside in a moderate breeze. The camera while mediocre when shooting video produces some exceptional still images. While the Tello is quite responsive when using just a smart device to control it I would recommend pairing it with a GameSir T1D Bluetooth game controller for increased dexterity.

If you really want to unleash your hidden Geek downloading the free DroneBlocks software will introduce you to Python scripting and allow you to create autonomous missions. Later on you will be able to apply these skills to the Spark as DroneBlocks works with quite a few other DJI models, including the Spark.

I’ve been building and flying multirotors for around six years and have close to thirty 250size and upwards craft but since acquiring a Tello last month it has been the most flown model. This is due in part to being disabled and not often able to travel to a suitable flying site, but more due to it being such a well tuned fun and forgiving little robot minion.

Yes! I admit it! I’m a Tello Fanboy!
2018-7-12
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

Tello it is!

Familiarity with DJI's practices just makes so
much sense. I'l pick one up asap.

And Nidge, thanks also for the info on Python.That sounds fun & practical.

Thanks for the input!

John
2018-7-12
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Wouldn't the Spark be a good drone for learning that stuff?  That's exactly why I bought it, to learn on the smaller and simpler one but it still has a lot of the features and same software as its bigger brothers so what I learn from the Spark will mostly transfer when I upgrade to a Phantom.
2018-7-12
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

BrandonW77 Posted at 2018-7-12 05:14
Wouldn't the Spark be a good drone for learning that stuff?  That's exactly why I bought it, to learn on the smaller and simpler one but it still has a lot of the features and same software as its bigger brothers so what I learn from the Spark will mostly transfer when I upgrade to a Phantom.

Brandon,
  I am looking for something to fly inside so
I won't do that with my Spark. I was really
looking for something more on the toy side
of this equation, but stepping it up to the
Tello, makes a lot of sense for several reasons,
including that it comes with a RC, where as a lot
of the cheaper ones are phone controlled only.

John
2018-7-12
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, almost all of my crashes have been inside my house.  The spark is not a selfie drone.
2018-7-12
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Johnny C! Posted at 2018-7-12 05:32
Brandon,
  I am looking for something to fly inside so
I won't do that with my Spark. I was really

Ah, sorry, I missed that part.  Spark is definitely not an in the house drone, I've done it a couple times and anything that isn't bolted down gets blown away.  
2018-7-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Another suggestions:

1. MJX Bugs 3 Mini - brushless motors, both angle and acro modes available, comes with proper controller
2. Syma x5c - very cheap, very lightweight, tons of spare parts, proper controller

Tello is questionable choice for the trainer IMHO, because it's not unassisted flyer and thus student will never learn to properly fly. It will be electronics flying for the student.
Both above mentioned birds, do not even have altitude hold and Bugs 3 having acro mode for learning proper flying by pilot and not electronics.

On a side note: Never seen drift caused flyaway happening with properly trained pilots on this forum.

2018-7-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

This could be a "practise atti"-drone, methinks!

And is a optical mavic air clone on top:

https://idearlife.com/collection ... l-uavfactory-outlet
2018-7-12
Use props
JimFandango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130768 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Hubsan X4 107C and a Visuo XS809HW which work nicely as practice quads. Both toy grade and robust enough to handle rough treatment. I think the Visuo would be better for your needs, though. It has a barometer, so it can hold its vertical position fairly well, and it's just slightly larger than the Spark. It has a controller that you can attach your phone to for FPV through the camera. Cost me £30.
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules