Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Enhanced WiFi
8928 14 2018-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Underdog1964
lvl.1
Flight distance : 47146 ft
United States

Greetings all,
I've been lurking a bit as I'm looking to purchase my first drone.
I really like what the Mavic Air has to offer but the enhanced WiFi has me a little nervous.

As I'm binge watching videos, I see that it works great for some and not so much for others. Usually in an urban environment, the interference really is bad.
In Bermuda, not so much.

While I like the appearance, gimbal and bitrate of the Mavic Air, what I'm trying to avoid is purchasing an $800 (USD) drone that I won't be able to fly.
Additionally, I can pick up a refurbished Mavic Pro in the DJI shop for the same price.

I know that ultimately thisis my decision but I have no reference point so I'm hoping that you can give me some points to consider.

This will be hobbyist use only.  

What to do?

Thanks in advance!
2018-7-11
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Captain
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nothing wrong with enhanced WiFi. Are you going to fly long distances like 4 Km or 2.485 Miles? I fly around urban City without issues get around 1 Km.
2018-7-11
Use props
Underdog1964
lvl.1
United States

小仙女的星巴克 Posted at 2018-7-11 17:38
Nothing wrong with enhanced WiFi. Are you going to fly long distances like 4 Km or 2.485 Miles? I fly around urban City without issues get around 1 Km.

Thank you for your reply.
I don't plan on flying long distances as I believe I have to fly line of sight per FAA regs.  

It just sounds like Ocusync is a more solid connection.
Again though, some really nice features n the MA

2018-7-11
Use props
SparksBird
Captain
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Or wait till July 16th and get the Mavic Pro Fly more combo for $700.  The OcuSync connection I never ever have an issue.  https://www.cnet.com/news/dji-of ... n-amazon-prime-day/
2018-7-11
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're going to get 1080p video on the Mavic Pro with OcuSync and only 720p with the Enhanced WiFi on the Mavic Air. The Pro will get you longer flight times with much more stable image transmission.
2018-7-11
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-11 19:59
You're going to get 1080p video on the Mavic Pro with OcuSync and only 720p with the Enhanced WiFi on the Mavic Air. The Pro will get you longer flight times with much more stable image transmission.

ehm.... live feed is 1080p on pro and 720p on mavic air.
2018-7-11
Use props
Underdog1964
lvl.1
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-11 18:34
Or wait till July 16th and get the Mavic Pro Fly more combo for $700.  The OcuSync connection I never ever have an issue.  https://www.cnet.com/news/dji-offering-drone-deals-on-amazon-prime-day/

Those are some amazing deals!
Thank you!
2018-7-12
Use props
dont slow down
Second Officer
Flight distance : 574977 ft
United States

I own a Phantom 3A and a Mavic Air, if it were me I don't know if I would purchase the Air again. Its a great drone but for some reason the wifi transmission is terrible. My Phantom also uses 2.4ghz wifi signal and I can fly 4x the distance with it compared to the Air which uses 2.4 and 5.8ghz. I even went as far as purchasing the 4Hawks antenna for the Air, it did help improve it some, but I still cant get as far with it as I can my Phantom. I think if I was to do it all over again I would get the Mavic Pro Platinum even though the Air is smaller and has a few more flight modes. I'm really praying that the next firmware update fixes many of the problems the Air has, if it doesn't I think I will sell it and get a Mavic Pro.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd wait - either for the new release or discounts on the older models
2018-7-12
Use props
davidmartingraf
Captain
Flight distance : 84805085 ft
  • >>>

A CW Posted at 2018-7-12 05:13
I'd wait - either for the new release or discounts on the older models

I agree with A CW. There should be some arbitrary end date, where if DJI releases no new drones then on that date you should buy the Mavic Pro. Pick a date and stick to it.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-7-12 05:35
I agree with A CW. There should be some arbitrary end date, where if DJI releases no new drones then on that date you should buy the Mavic Pro. Pick a date and stick to it.

I'd def buy the Mavic Pro if the OP's position
2018-7-12
Use props
Underdog1964
lvl.1
United States

Thanks again all. I am thinking of the MP.
THE MA is a great packag but if it can't fly reliably...
no disrespect to MA owners intended.
2018-7-12
Use props
fans7df02dd5
lvl.1

United States

dont slow down Posted at 2018-7-12 05:12
I own a Phantom 3A and a Mavic Air, if it were me I don't know if I would purchase the Air again. Its a great drone but for some reason the wifi transmission is terrible. My Phantom also uses 2.4ghz wifi signal and I can fly 4x the distance with it compared to the Air which uses 2.4 and 5.8ghz. I even went as far as purchasing the 4Hawks antenna for the Air, it did help improve it some, but I still cant get as far with it as I can my Phantom. I think if I was to do it all over again I would get the Mavic Pro Platinum even though the Air is smaller and has a few more flight modes. I'm really praying that the next firmware update fixes many of the problems the Air has, if it doesn't I think I will sell it and get a Mavic Pro.

p3a uses enhanced wifi which is freq hopping on all the bands and transmits video on  a handful of bands in the 2.4 ghz range it does double duty.. then it uses freq diversity with 2 antennas... this is why its so good at transmitting see.. spektrum and fss and all the other radio systems back in the day started to hop on all channels and it improved a ton.... occusync is just a fancy workd it does the same thing but does it in firmware instead of hardware like the phantoms see phantoms if you go buy a fdm antenna module is like 190 bucks why its hardware it creates a ton of heat its why it uses a fan on the phantoms... but dji went the cheap route found out they cant use the hardware with the new firmware on the mavic pro so they just ditched the expensive hardware and went with firmware hopping same thing same thing... see spektrum is an old radio it didnt hop around on channels all it needed was firmware to tell it too and voila free channel hopping with a firmware patch i mean if spektrum can do it so can dji... and they did they realized after the air ohhhhh we can add it its free firmware is free folks  a few lines of code the spark didnt hop the air didnt either you only got it on the expensive drones like phantoms because they havent figured it out yet that you could do it in firmware.. so here comes the mavic now the mini
2019-11-11
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very reliable with my MavicAir re range distance , has 500m range easily but you really do have trouble seeing, range & VLOS is not a problem when flying the MA by the regs, but it has been further
It's a great drone and a superb camera for £750
2019-11-12
Use props
djiuser_y6cKej2prbqJ
lvl.1

United States

I built all the first gen drones to try em out, and out of the spark, mini, air and pro, the mavic air was the clear winner to me.

But I do a lot of solo work on cars and in forests/indoors, so the ability to fly inside without gps was a must.

I've never had any connection issues on my mavic air, and I've flown it far enough away it ran out of battery before it could get back.  I've also used it in metal buildings and urban areas a ...load, in fact I live under major power lines.  

It's rigidity, and ultra portable nature are just too good.  I mean in actual use it's effectively smaller then the mini to travel with.  And it hovers perfectly inside with no gps n poor light.  Though I need light to do gesture controls, which are super nice when I use it for filming pistol target shooting.
2021-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules