Is DJI actually using this forum for feedback?
746 18 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1026260 ft
United States

I know this forum and MavicPilots are two very valuable resources for us as owners/users. But is it for DJI?

I'm aware that DJI has several admins posting replies here frequently. However rarely do I see anything but canned responses from them with at best little, usually with no valuable information.

As we are many posting, and most likely many more reading the posts, I come to wonder if DJI really is utilizing the feedback, concerns and ideas to improve?
The lack of response regarding .0400 fw (to either confirm or deny issues), the very poor change logs with DJI GO releases, total lack of high level roadmap are just a few examples where to improve .... there is so much feedback here where so many are asking for DJIs responses but none to be seen. It makes me wonder if DJI really care at all about the really good feedback that can be found here?

During all my years in both software and hardware development, one of the most important and valuable resources for development is customer feedback, customers willing to take the time and provide insight into their experience. Perhaps DJI does that, simply me not being aware...

If anyone with a saying @DJI is reading this, please understand our frustration due to poor communication. This you can easily change.

Perhaps the forums are not not the best channel for information, but if not what is? (apart from reporting a case all the time)

Is Twitter better?      

2018-7-12
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I haven't done this.  maybe with the next issue or question i have, I'll #TakeItToTwitter
2018-7-12
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

well for me the forum is better
2018-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When this forum started first, all admins gave out freely practical and technical information, over the years, some of this information was challenged , which now seems to have changed what admins are both told to say, and what they can’t say.
Regarding updates, these were never mentioned prior to release and never discussed before release giving any timeframe.
I think that the release of Mavic Pro was an eye opener for dji, lots of pressure to give dates for shipping deliveries, when they announced dates which customers were baying for and couldn’t meet these dates, this whole forum almost blew up.
So I don’t believe dji will ever give dates or approximate dates for FW/SW release, because of failure to meet deadlines they set . As this causes much more consternation and upheaval, than keeping people waiting.
Sometimes we call or demand that dji give us a date or approximate date, but when that date passes you will find that a date becomes a date in most peoples eyes and we see much more disenchantment and upheaval.

I do feel it’s a pity they don’t have technical and mechanical engineers on here even on a temporary basis to answer questions.
2018-7-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They do tweet a lot more
2018-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Several times the admins have suggested the preferred method of submitting feedback and bug reports is via Go 4 's DJI Support functionality (Me section), which presumably go direct to the support personnel w/o having to pass by forum admin.

The forum is primarily a place where owners can help other owners.

2018-7-12
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-12 07:53
When this forum started first, all admins gave out freely practical and technical information, over the years, some of this information was challenged , which now seems to have changed what admins are both told to say, and what they can’t say.
Regarding updates, these were never mentioned prior to release and never discussed before release giving any timeframe.
I think that the release of Mavic Pro was an eye opener for dji, lots of pressure to give dates for shipping deliveries, when they announced dates which customers were baying for and couldn’t meet these dates, this whole forum almost blew up.

Thanks Hallmark,

The poor change logs etc is simply just bad practice or lazyness, there is simply no good reason not to. I have written so many roadmaps in my professional life and a key with a high level roadmap is that you, without promising or getting into details, define what you are aiming to do and about when. And that you clearly note a roadmap can/is likely to change.

My key part is if DJI at all listens to the feedback? If not here, where do they collect insight from customers? I would love to know so I can provide feedback.

2018-7-12
Use props
Rblomqvist
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-12 08:06
Several times the admins have suggested the preferred method of submitting feedback and bug reports is via Go 4 's DJI Support functionality (Me section), which presumably go direct to the support personnel w/o having to pass by forum admin.

The forum is primarily a place where owners can help other owners.

Thanks Ex Machina,

I have done that multiple times, but my experience is "silence". I never know if any of my feedback is actually being addressed or if just going into the garbage can. This is where a high level road map really can assist.
2018-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Rblomqvist Posted at 2018-7-12 08:18
Thanks Ex Machina,

I have done that multiple times, but my experience is "silence". I never know if any of my feedback is actually being addressed or if just going into the garbage can. This is where a high level road map really can assist.

Yup, same here for my feedback, I have gotten responses to my support requests.
2018-7-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Perhaps the forums are not not the best channel for information, but if not what is? (apart from reporting a case all the time)

Based on my experience with problem in which I used DJI's Chat.  That is not best of the channels, not even okay of the channels.

Based on my experience reporting two cases, and getting case numbers.  That is best of the channels, with one positive and one negative.

From Bigger-Picture standpoint, the forum is best channel for giving others a Heads Up.  Which should make it best channel for getting information to DJI Corp.  However, based on Mavic Air .0400 FW problems still being hashed around, it does not appear to be best channel to DJI Corp.

2018-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Rblomqvist Posted at 2018-7-12 08:12
Thanks Hallmark,

The poor change logs etc is simply just bad practice or lazyness, there is simply no good reason not to. I have written so many roadmaps in my professional life and a key with a high level roadmap is that you, without promising or getting into details, define what you are aiming to do and about when. And that you clearly note a roadmap can/is likely to change.

Well I do believe they listen to the forum, but I believe it’s selective hearing, the forum must be important to them, because it’s basically public, with plenty of negative comments, but when you see a new release product, there is a serious amount of members around here who purchase.
But yes selective hearing.
2018-7-12
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Some people on here also purport to be the mouthpiece of DJI in responding to others and making statements which I think adds a level of confusion. Length of time on these forums does not make one a DJI rep nor an expert on their products, but merely a customer like all of us.
2018-7-12
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

I think you touched upon a very valid point though.
I was one the early Mavic pro users and I have to agree with Hallmark about his statements because he has been around longer then me.

So for I think there is a lot of standard answers and basically it's not worth a lot. The admins that were here in the beginning of the "mavic pro era" are not around anymore.

I think it's a cultural difference and DJI is not driven by user input, which was one of my biggest hesitation issues to go with DJI and some other vendor. However they do deliver some good stuff I would say.

What is DJI biggest driver? Cause as you know the most important thing is what is written in the last line of the result report and DJI makes a lot of money, but is it the Consumer side or the business side, well I don't know.

They are doing some work in the agricultural business and will spend a lot of money in that area, we think Drones they have a bigger picture to meet.

I would say that NONE of the suggestions I have made during these years have gotten any visible response so far.

But as long as we keep buying I think DJI is happy.

I really can't say that one "channel" is better then the other. We live in a "omni channel" landscape and DJI have their way to interpretate response.
Since there is so little competition in this segment it's easy for them.

In the long run with all this discussions about customs and raising taxes etc it might change the landscape.

I still think we should make our voice heard and hope that they will adjust.
2018-7-12
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

While I agree there appears to be a serious disconnect between the feedback posted and what eventually gets distilled back out from the developers, I think this forum is at least safe in the broader sense.

The major problem with the MavicPilots forum, and the rest of the consortium of that DronePilots group is the little, hidden click bait affiliate link scam they've got going on over there.  Every newbie that joins up asking questions gets pounced on by the insiders and their cohorts like msinger that like to post replies laced with affiliate links.  By the time the newbie finishes his visit, he/she is so laced down with affiliate cookies he/she has no clue what just happened.  Worse, many of the responses don't really even answer the question, and it's all about depositing the cookie.  Kind of disgusting leaches if you ask me.  Frankly, I've never seen forum operators being so over the top with their tactics as they are.

So the reality is, you can post here and at least you are somewhat protected from unscrupulous behavior like that, and at least some DJI insider might read the post once in a blue moon.  Or, you can go over there, and ensure no DJI insider will ever read it, and leave with a bunch of cookie parasites for your troubles.
2018-7-12
Use props
Grumpy D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

A couple of things come into play that most of us don’t seem to understand .... language barrier and more importantly cultural differences.  #1 Sometimes things don’t translate well from one language to the other.
#2 Any one familiar with eastern cultural knows that our western ways of demanding and complaining is less than honorable and often considered childlike and disrespectful. If you think before you type it you will likely receive better results.  IMO
2018-7-12
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

I've always felt that DJI doesn't really listen to feedback/suggestions/improvements offered by their customers. I think their culture in that aspect is very different than ours.  I also believe that the only thing that will change that is some serious 'apples to apples' competition, which is coming.  By the time that happens some of their their loyal customer base may be up for grabs.  If I were another up and coming drone manufacturer one of the things I'd do is watch these forums and suggestions
2018-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-12 08:22
Yup, same here for my feedback, I have gotten responses to my support requests.

...and to be fair, most of the issues I've reported have been addressed. In fact, I'd say all of the important issues I've reported have been addressed.
2018-7-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 2018-7-12 13:01
A couple of things come into play that most of us don’t seem to understand .... language barrier and more importantly cultural differences.  #1 Sometimes things don’t translate well from one language to the other.
#2 Any one familiar with eastern cultural knows that our western ways of demanding and complaining is less than honorable and often considered childlike and disrespectful. If you think before you type it you will likely receive better results.  IMO

Agreed.

As for the language barrier, I've noticed that it may take several attempts at wording a report or request before it "clicks" with someone over at DJI support, whether that means it gets properly auto-translated with yoru new pfrasing, or at least until the issue is handled by an employee whose facility with English (or insert your language) is sufficient.

Heck, sometimes I have to reword requests for our native IT support staff, and when I'm the one doing the support, sometimes I have to reread a request several times before it makes sense to me!

As for responses to new feature suggestions, there may also be legal considerations for not responding.

2018-7-12
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I did provide some improvement suggestions to DJI in this forum. I only got reply said forwarded to engineer and nothing come back. It’s very disappointing to provide suggestions to DJI.

It’s important for engineers to talk with pilots and get their feedback. I can understand they may afraid engineer say too much or don’t want to discuss details about drone design on open platform. But it’s easy to communicate privately by PM or email.
2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules