Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Go Fly in the rain
12Next >
2351 43 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

Has anyone ever flown in the rain? This winter I want to fly over a slide area were I live. Looking for flow from the slide of water It always is raining during the winter. I live in Baring, Washington State, and we get 90-100 inches of rain a years. I’m sure you lose some transmission distance. But is the bird waterproof? Please comment or show me video
2018-7-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We strongly suggest to avoid flying the aircraft into the rain because the aircraft is not waterproof.  Thank you.
2018-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It’s not recommended as water could enter the drones shell and do unrepairable damage to your sensitive electronics.

This is something that is frequently brought up in conversation on the forum. ..
You are not the only one, who “will” experiment with this forbidden activity.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You'd have to be nuts to fly in the rain for all the reasons mentioned above.  What bugs me is nobody ever posts that their AC dropped due to rain.  Here's where the rain caught me by surprise.

2018-7-12
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Don't be tempted... just asking for long term issues
2018-7-12
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

There's some folks that make a wet suit for the Phantom. I tried it, it was difficult to put on plus it made the battery extremely hard to snap in. It only takes one time of not getting it all the way in and it can come loose, causing the drone to fall from the sky and end up in an ugly heap of busted parts. Thank heaven for State Farm insurance. Personally, I'll never attempt it again, but if you're brave - here's the link.
www.phantomrain.org/
2018-7-12
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-7-12 09:13
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We strongly suggest to avoid flying the aircraft into the rain because the aircraft is not waterproof.  Thank you.

Thank you for your response. Even drizzle or mist can effect the bird? There was a awesome rainbow last week. Thought about GO FLY it. But then it open up, and started to deluge. Glad I didn’t get lured in.
2018-7-13
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-12 11:03
You'd have to be nuts to fly in the rain for all the reasons mentioned above.  What bugs me is nobody ever posts that their AC dropped due to rain.  Here's where the rain caught me by surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugfp33yepvA

Great video. At 1:55 or so. What is that spot? A raindrop? Also is that a cord or something to the left. Also how do you get all of those graphics across the top? I like it.
2018-7-13
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-7-12 14:17
There's some folks that make a wet suit for the Phantom. I tried it, it was difficult to put on plus it made the battery extremely hard to snap in. It only takes one time of not getting it all the way in and it can come loose, causing the drone to fall from the sky and end up in an ugly heap of busted parts. Thank heaven for State Farm insurance. Personally, I'll never attempt it again, but if you're brave - here's the link.
www.phantomrain.org/

Very cool .But I would have to here reviews , before I’d try it
2018-7-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Bair in the Air Posted at 2018-7-13 09:22
Great video. At 1:55 or so. What is that spot? A raindrop? Also is that a cord or something to the left. Also how do you get all of those graphics across the top? I like it.

A raindrop, the flight path, magic.  Thanks!
2018-7-13
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-7-12 14:17
There's some folks that make a wet suit for the Phantom. I tried it, it was difficult to put on plus it made the battery extremely hard to snap in. It only takes one time of not getting it all the way in and it can come loose, causing the drone to fall from the sky and end up in an ugly heap of busted parts. Thank heaven for State Farm insurance. Personally, I'll never attempt it again, but if you're brave - here's the link.
www.phantomrain.org/

Yeah - that Phantomrain guy is in this forum here as well and tried on every occasion to promote his products.
I think and hope he got chased away by too many telling him to stop advertising his stupid products.

Im sure there is a market for it because lots of people are always looking for accessories to improve their product.
No matter if its a drone or an inflatable girl friend.

You can fly in rain but have no control of the long time effect due to the open air flow cooling system.
And then I'm wondering why someone would want to fly in rain because there are no wipers on the lens!
2018-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

A good DSLR works well in the rain....

RedHotPoker
2018-7-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I think I read a post somewhere that somebody put Rain-x on the camera lens cover and it worked.  

https://www.rainx.com/

I wonder if it would work for fog
2018-7-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Bair in the Air Posted at 2018-7-13 09:16
Thank you for your response. Even drizzle or mist can effect the bird? There was a awesome rainbow last week. Thought about GO FLY it. But then it open up, and started to deluge. Glad I didn’t get lured in.

Hi, have a safe flight always.!
2018-7-14
Use props
S.D. Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Even drizzle or mist can effect the bird? "

Go ahead and try it then let us know.
2018-7-14
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

Thanks everyone. We got a serious slide just upstream. So it’s been so dry here. I need to see water flowing. Look at my second video of slide

2018-7-14
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-12 11:03

It could be that they have been lucky, or it could be cause  the problem with flying in the rain may not become apparrant until a long time after the flight, when the components start to corrode and then something arcs and it falls from the sky and then its blamed on battery and they buy a new drone
Probably the same will go for me when i ditched it in 2ft of water
2018-7-14
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

S.D. Pilot Posted at 2018-7-14 18:32
"Even drizzle or mist can effect the bird? "

I fly in the mist quite often never had any issues apart from needing to wipe the drone dry.
I use the mist to keep my props clean.

2018-7-14
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-14 19:15
It could be that they have been lucky, or it could be cause  the problem with flying in the rain may not become apparrant until a long time after the flight, when the components start to corrode and then something arcs and it falls from the sky and then its blamed on battery and they buy a new drone
Probably the same will go for me when i ditched it in 2ft of water

Could be a lot of things.  This pic taken by Dronesmeg a few days ago. One day after a typhoon had passed but we had several weeks of rain so the valley I live in looks lush.  Same as valley as my mist you tube. We went to one are to think about flying but it was stonking rain about 5 mins are we arrived.

100m from my home.  

TABANG VALLEY.jpg
2018-7-14
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Go get those rainbow shots.  As long as it is not raining I go fly and take shots. To get this video I flew up to max height and needed a few hundred meters to clear the clouds.

2018-7-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

A part of me wonders if the rain thing isn't like the Kg thing...
2018-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-14 23:06
I fly in the mist quite often never had any issues apart from needing to wipe the drone dry.

I use the mist, you make me create, while laughing so hard, my eyes water, to clean my steamed up prescription reading glasses. Chuckles

So thanks for that. Haha
Love those cloudy missions...

RedHotPoker
2018-7-15
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-7-14 02:50
I think I read a post somewhere that somebody put Rain-x on the camera lens cover and it worked.  

https://www.rainx.com/

I Rain-X my pops in the winter, keeps them from icing. I'm not sure I'd try it on the camera though, on my windshield, it looks a wee bit hazy sometimes and I wouldn't want that on the camera.
2018-7-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Good to know - thanks
2018-7-15
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

I love it. In the Great Pacific Northwest. We get a lot of that look. Early morning when the mosquitoes are still yawning. I love that look
PEACE
2018-7-15
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-14 23:08
Could be a lot of things.  This pic taken by Dronesmeg a few days ago. One day after a typhoon had passed but we had several weeks of rain so the valley I live in looks lush.  Same as valley as my mist you tube. We went to one are to think about flying but it was stonking rain about 5 mins are we arrived.

100m from my home.

That is ONE SPECTACULAR SHOOT
2018-7-15
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-14 23:11
Go get those rainbow shots.  As long as it is not raining I go fly and take shots. To get this video I flew up to max height and needed a few hundred meters to clear the clouds.

WOW and WOW , a double WOW I gave you
2018-7-15
Use props
BrianKushner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've gotten caught in a light rain. I think the props spinning  help it to ward off the water a bit but the camera lens immediately goes to hell with the water on it...therefore I wouldn't intentionally fly in the rain.
2018-7-15
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

BrianKushner Posted at 2018-7-15 11:02
I've gotten caught in a light rain. I think the props spinning  help it to ward off the water a bit but the camera lens immediately goes to hell with the water on it...therefore I wouldn't intentionally fly in the rain.

It's called the Kalaidoscope affect

2018-7-15
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-7-15 07:02
I Rain-X my pops in the winter, keeps them from icing. I'm not sure I'd try it on the camera though, on my windshield, it looks a wee bit hazy sometimes and I wouldn't want that on the camera.

Be careful, rain x is designed for glass, no telling what the chemical could do to plastic over time
2018-7-15
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Beautiful country!  Really cool shots.  They dont allow us go up and fly around in the soup.  Aside from the safety issues with other aircraft, sucking all the water into the airframe cant be too good.    Just curious, do you use your cell phone in the shower as well??  
2018-7-16
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-7-16 03:02
Beautiful country!  Really cool shots.  They dont allow us go up and fly around in the soup.  Aside from the safety issues with other aircraft, sucking all the water into the airframe cant be too good.    Just curious, do you use your cell phone in the shower as well??

I have a Sony Ultra 6.4 inch which is a water proof phone
2018-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

BrianKushner Posted at 2018-7-15 11:02
I've gotten caught in a light rain. I think the props spinning  help it to ward off the water a bit but the camera lens immediately goes to hell with the water on it...therefore I wouldn't intentionally fly in the rain.

Leave the lens cap on... ha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-15 20:25
Be careful, rain x is designed for glass, no telling what the chemical could do to plastic over time

Melt down... but in slow motion... ha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-16 22:13

It’s the drone that needs a full body condom...

Fly safe. Always. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-7-16
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2018-7-16 22:13

Touche'
2018-7-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I thought at least some of these filters were made of glass...

In situations like this, I like to rely on my buddy msinger for info...  

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... d-nd-filters.73736/
2018-7-17
Use props
flying dogg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1806867 ft
United States

I'm sorry to say flying anydji product in the rain voids warranty. Doe's it not.fly safe
2018-7-17
Use props
Bair in the Air
lvl.2
United States

Years ago, when I was shooting my DSLR camera at a outdoor concert. And it was raining. I had my camera in a clear garbage bag, with my lens extender I made to hold garbage bag. It work d great, but I look over, and this guy had this devise mounted to his lens, that was like a squeegee device, with clear film rolling. Like you see when race car are running. And they have that camera angle off the car. And you see the clear film move to clear the rubber and such. If we could design a small enough devise like that for P4P. When there’s a will, there’s a way
PEACE
2018-7-17
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Taiwan

I live in a country that holds world records for hourly rainfall let alone that we have several typhoons a year.  Being able to use your phone in the rain can be very beneficial.

Haven't used it in the shower yet but I have used it to take underwater photos in the rivers up here.
2018-7-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules