Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
mapping 160 acres @ 10,000 elevation and no Internet
523 0 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6Q57jczySsAE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623366 ft

Equipment:

• P4P (normal props)
  • six batteries
  • iPad pro
  • Emlid Reach RS
  • Maps Made Easy Map Pilot
  • EZsurv PRK software
  • Photoscan for photogrammetry

70% overlap, about 800 images
flight 90 meters AGL

Process:

Walked the property with the Emlid, captured 20 ground control points. Used existing features for GCPs that I (thought) could easily be seen from the arial photos.
Before arriving at the ranch, I'd cached images in Map Pilot, along with elevation data.
Using Map Pilot, flew a single mission, which turned into nine battery swaps. Note I had six batteries, so I was charging during the flights.

Lessons Learned:

• I couldn't detect any degradation in P4P flight performance despite the altitude. Batteries may have lasted 80% of normal, but the actual flight performance seemed normal....except for the noise. It was loud! I assume, unlike an engine, that the motors mostly maintained their efficiency at the higher RPMs.
  • The flight took much longer than I 'd planned. I started in the morning, and the lack of sunlight forced a slow two meters/sec flight for the first 90mins of flight.
  • Map Pilot does a great job of caching the base images of the flight plan......HOWEVER, if your device thinks it's connected to the Internet for a few seconds, say from a cell tower too far away to really provide access, you may lose the cached maps!!!!
  • 90 meters AGL is higher than I normally operate when making maps, so my choice of ground control points wasn't great. Some I couldn't identify in the captured images.

2018-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules