Erratic Gimbal During Takeoff
665 5 2018-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.3
United States

Hello,

Today I had a weird issue with my gimbal and I'm not sure what's causing it. When I fired up the engines, the gimbal (which had started up fine) flipped around a bit and turned off my video recording before straightening out. I've never seen it do that before; it was moving kind of like it would while starting up when you first turn the drone on. I was using a high quality 64 GB microSD that I bought from Best Buy and a 16 ND PL Polar Pro filter at the time.

Do any of you know what might have caused it?

And, I have to say, I have NOT been impressed with the Mavic so far. This is my second drone (that I've had for about a week) and while it's gimbal is steadier than my last one, both of them have issues with microvibrations, jello, drunken horizons, etc. DJI will be lucky if I ever buy another one from them.

EDIT: Some people have said that it's possible for gimbals to reset during flight, and that it can be linked to the card. Is that a plausible explanation for what happened to me?
2018-7-12
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.3
United States

Okay, so when I first formatted my 64 GB card, I did so on the computer. I reformatted it on the drone before taking off today, and I didn't have any wonky issues. It didn't even seem to tilt as much. So, unless I have more problems down the line, I'm gonna say that it was the card that was the problem.
2018-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Pro. Can you please check if you have the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware on the Drone, I will post the link where you can find the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware ( https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads ). Please try to calibrate the gimbal of the DJI Mavic Pro as well.  I will post the DJI Official tutorial link on how to calibrate the gimbal properly. Let us see after if this will work. Thank you.

2018-7-14
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-7-14 12:54
Hi. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your DJI Mavic Pro. Can you please check if you have the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware on the Drone, I will post the link where you can find the latest DJI Assistant 2 firmware ( https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads ). Please try to calibrate the gimbal of the DJI Mavic Pro as well.  I will post the DJI Official tutorial link on how to calibrate the gimbal properly. Let us see after if this will work. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hH6jVAImY

The gimbal hasn't been resetting itself any more since I formatted the SD card.

As far as the tilt goes, it's on the latest firmware. All the calibrations in the world don't help, it's a design flaw. Half the Mavics you make come with it.
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Appalachian Aerials Posted at 2018-7-17 18:39
The gimbal hasn't been resetting itself any more since I formatted the SD card.

As far as the tilt goes, it's on the latest firmware. All the calibrations in the world don't help, it's a design flaw. Half the Mavics you make come with it.

Hi, I would like to clarify, did you manage to use the DJI assistant 2? if the issue will still persist, I would suggest sending the unit to our facility for further evaluation. Thank you.
2018-7-18
Use props
Appalachian Aerials
lvl.3
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-18 13:59
Hi, I would like to clarify, did you manage to use the DJI assistant 2? if the issue will still persist, I would suggest sending the unit to our facility for further evaluation. Thank you.

What, so I can wait four months to get back somebody else's broken drone? No thank you.
As for DJI Assistant 2, it says that I'm ont he most recent firmware, which matches the app.

EDIT: So as is, my gimbal is mostly pretty stable, but if I've been turning it will slowly yaw back the opposite direction when I stop turning, it can't handle faster speeds (and I'm talking Position Mode, not Sport Mode), it's much more likely to drift/tilt if I move forward  while it's doing that automatic yaw, and I can see little shakes in the camera that would cause jello if I didn't have an ND filter

With that in mind, do you have a recommendation of which firmware might get me the most stability? From reading the forums and from my own experiences, I'm pretty sure that your company just has a nasty habit of manufacturing drones with bad cameras, but I'm not going through the hell of customer service.
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules