Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PETITION/POLL FOR DJI TO UPDATE MA RC CONTROLLER FW FOR ANDROID
707 3 2018-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
enriquefc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1019301 ft
Venezuela

Hi,

I am a MA owner using Android. I've spent more than 2 weeks looking for a solution to the RC charging my Android phone. I believe it should be easy to do with a FW update for the RC on the part of DJI. I've read people saying that it is a Android problem, and not a DJI problem, but the fact remains that the easiest fix would be to prevent the controller's software from charging anything plugged into it, (which is not its main function anyway), instead of asking Google to do an update for Android for a specific issue with one consumer product among the millions which work without issues.

I am having to charge my RC every 4 or 5 flights, and believe this will:
- Lower the useful life of the RC battery, making it discharge even faster with time.
- Eventually damage the RC battery, which is not designed to be charging anything.

Additionally, I've had to ground my AC in multiple occasions because of a low RC battery warning, even when I started the first battery at close to 80% charge.

Out of the options mentioned for a DIY fix is rooting the phone, which is basically asking us consumers to void the warranty on one device to get another device working correctly. I refuse to root my device for this, since I rely on it for work, and have sensitive information in it. Also, bricking my device would not be covered by the warranty, and is a definite risk.

Another option, which may work but is bulky and defeats the purpose of the MA's portability is carrying around a portable charger (which just means more stuff to have in a bag, and a $70 expense for a decent one).

Lastly, any tweaking with Developer Options enabled in Android to change the USB basic function on the phone does not work. I've tried it multiple times without success.

The MA is amazing, but the people using Android devices is actually growing faster than Apple, and Android is, without a doubt, a major platform which deserves every bit of compatibility with DJI's products as Apple does.

I refuse to go back to Apple, so what gives DJI, can we count on some support here?

I'll disregard all the comments saying to get an iPhone or iPad... this is a serious request.

Thank you!

E.
Single SelectVote, Total 21 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

38.10% (8)
19.05% (4)
42.86% (9)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-13
Use props
ShadyDealer
First Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Problem with Android is it’s not very efficient anyway and vey  fragmented. Apples tighter guidelines on app development is better suited for improved reliability and user interface. I’m not saying it’s perfect but they demand better from app developers. Would imagine the issue is down to USB sto USB tandards vs USB to Apples proprietary Lightning connector.
2018-7-14
Use props
3-D
Captain
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

I voted 2, and here is the reason:  For me, I fly at max 1.5 hours at a time.  The fact that the RC is charging the phone is irritating, but not a major problem.  When i'm charging the batteries, I also charge the RC and the phone.  After almost 200 flights, I don't see any degradation in the stability or longevity of the controller battery.  I would like to have the option, but if that requires a firmware update to the RC, I'm likely to pass on it.
2018-7-14
Use props
enriquefc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1019301 ft
Venezuela

Understand where you're coming from. I have 4 batteries for the MA, and after spending 3, the controller is crying for juice.

I too charge it every time I charge the bats, but to be honest, 200 flights is less than 4% of the Mavic supposed useful life.

I do not get why anyone would pass on a proven firmware update for the RC.

Thanks for your input though.

E.
2018-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules