Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Anyone Here Uses Inspire 2 Purely for Recreational?
4242 33 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Hello

Can I get a sense how many members here purely purchase Inspire 2 for recreational use (i.e., not for commercial purpose/use)?

I have Mavic Pro Platinum (love it because of its compact and discreet size for travel) and am considering to get Inspire 2 but am not sure if it’s the right choice.

Really excited about Inspire 2 based on online reviews but haven’t seen one flying in person. I would assume it’s challenging to travel with Inspire 2 given its size.

Any guess when Inspire 3 will be released based on historical data of Inspire 1 and 2 release?

Thanks in advance for any perspective.

2018-7-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It's a tough question because nobody really knows how many of us purchased Inspire for pure joy of flying it as a bonus to extended imaging capabilities. I did, but that means nothing. Perhaps an mature, avid amateur photographer and hobbyist may consider such serious investment to top up his/her lifetime experience in photography. Any professional filmmaker will benefit enormously using I2 because of it's advanced camera. For an average selfie-taker, however, the mighty Inspire will be way too much to handle, money issue aside. Simply overkill, cumbersome to carry with.
2018-7-15
Use props
John's I2
lvl.3

I bought mine for pure recreation, my son kinda talked me into the inspire2. He has 3 different model DJI crafts, we just take them to different areas and fly. I did use mine on one job that we are doing now. I am contracted to raze 100K sq. ft of old mill buildings and we couldn't see between two of the buildings. So we used my inspire2 to drop down between the buildings to have a look for the demo guys. Good thing we did, we could see that the rear wall of one of the buildings coming down was leaning back about 10" in 25'. So it worked out well in that instance
2018-7-16
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I originally purchased mine purely for recreation. I ended up getting my Remote Pilot certificate and have now had several paying jobs. The income from those jobs doesn't come anywhere near covering my costs but I enjoy doing the "work" and really like the quality of the images/videos. For most folks, I would think that the Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 would scratch any drone itch that they have. However, if an Inspire 2 is in the budget, I would definitely consider it as a purely recreational platform. If you're not into the photography settings, it does a great job in Automatic mode. Plus you have the option to have a photographer friend run the camera from a 2nd remote while you just fly.

Anyway, I don't regret my Inspire 2 purchase even if I was still only flying it for fun.
2018-7-16
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Bought an I1 back in 2015 for purely recreational purposes. (It was either spend the $$ on upgrade to a FF DSLR or buy the UAV)
In the 3 years since then, I have become a licensed/certified UAV pilot and worked to introduce UAV operations at my workplace.

These are powerful machines, capable of very impressive results and are fun to fly. They are large to travel with however.
If you have the $$ I'd say go for it!
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-7-15 15:24
It's tough question because nobody really knows how many of us purchased Inspire for pure joy of flying it as a bonus to extended imaging capabilities. I did, but that means nothing. Perhaps an mature, avid amateur photographer and hobbyist may consider such serious investment to top up his/her lifetime experience in photography. Any professional filmmaker will benefit enormously using I2 because of it's advanced camera. For an average selfie-taker, however, the mighty Inspire will be way too much to handle, money issue aside. Simply overkill, cumbersome to carry with.

Noted on your point Matthew, thank you.
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

John's I2 Posted at 2018-7-16 01:09
I bought mine for pure recreation, my son kinda talked me into the inspire2. He has 3 different model DJI crafts, we just take them to different areas and fly. I did use mine on one job that we are doing now. I am contracted to raze 100K sq. ft of old mill buildings and we couldn't see between two of the buildings. So we used my inspire2 to drop down between the buildings to have a look for the demo guys. Good thing we did, we could see that the rear wall of one of the buildings coming down was leaning back about 10" in 25'. So it worked out well in that instance

Happy to hear that it worked out well for you John. Thanks for your kind note.
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Cobra44Magnum Posted at 2018-7-16 05:30
I originally purchased mine purely for recreation. I ended up getting my Remote Pilot certificate and have now had several paying jobs. The income from those jobs doesn't come anywhere near covering my costs but I enjoy doing the "work" and really like the quality of the images/videos. For most folks, I would think that the Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 would scratch any drone itch that they have. However, if an Inspire 2 is in the budget, I would definitely consider it as a purely recreational platform. If you're not into the photography settings, it does a great job in Automatic mode. Plus you have the option to have a photographer friend run the camera from a 2nd remote while you just fly.

Anyway, I don't regret my Inspire 2 purchase even if I was still only flying it for fun.

Very interesting perspective, thanks for sharing Cobra44Magnum
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Farnk666 Posted at 2018-7-16 05:59
Bought an I1 back in 2015 for purely recreational purposes. (It was either spend the $$ on upgrade to a FF DSLR or buy the UAV)
In the 3 years since then, I have become a licensed/certified UAV pilot and worked to introduce UAV operations at my workplace.

Thanks for your kind sharing Farnk666. Pondering to get or not to get haha..
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Hello All

May I check with you what other items do I need to buy if I buy this Inspire 2 drone from DJI Official Store in Amazon?

Do I need X5S camera and anything else?

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-CP-BX ... 1794694&sr=1-65

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
2018-7-16
Use props
engelo
Captain
Flight distance : 12311667 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I bought mine just for fun. NOT professional use.

I bought an Inspire 1 first and now Inspire 2.

Both drones are great and fun to fly !!!
2018-7-16
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

engelo Posted at 2018-7-16 22:06
I bought mine just for fun. NOT professional use.

I bought an Inspire 1 first and now Inspire 2.

wow nice and thanks for your kind sharing, any photos for both together?
2018-7-17
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I didn't take the plunge to the 2 and got a 1 Pro instead, now upgraded to a Raw. It is quite a hassle to travel with conidering it's size, but I purchased a Bestem landing mode backpack which makes it more comfortable, however for air travel its still too large for carry on and must be checked, which unless your travel budget is first class it costs extra making a reasonable ticket become expensive. There are no compact landing mode cases that provide enough protection in fact my backpack gets put into a flight case, by the same manufacturer to assure proper protection. I decided to travel lighter and just ordered a Autel Evo that I should have on Friday, now it remains to be seen if the Inspire will get any more flight time LOL. I love the beast so I doubt it will be mothballed, but rather used only when I require utmost image quality. I feel like I'm cheating on y girlfriend.
2018-7-17
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

mixchief Posted at 2018-7-17 06:17
I didn't take the plunge to the 2 and got a 1 Pro instead, now upgraded to a Raw. It is quite a hassle to travel with conidering it's size, but I purchased a Bestem landing mode backpack which makes it more comfortable, however for air travel its still too large for carry on and must be checked, which unless your travel budget is first class it costs extra making a reasonable ticket become expensive. There are no compact landing mode cases that provide enough protection in fact my backpack gets put into a flight case, by the same manufacturer to assure proper protection. I decided to travel lighter and just ordered a Autel Evo that I should have on Friday, now it remains to be seen if the Inspire will get any more flight time LOL. I love the beast so I doubt it will be mothballed, but rather used only when I require utmost image quality. I feel like I'm cheating on y girlfriend.

thanks much for your kind sharing mixchief; pardon my ignorance for being a newbie here: what exactly is Inspire RAW?
2018-7-17
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

mixchief Posted at 2018-7-17 06:17
I didn't take the plunge to the 2 and got a 1 Pro instead, now upgraded to a Raw. It is quite a hassle to travel with conidering it's size, but I purchased a Bestem landing mode backpack which makes it more comfortable, however for air travel its still too large for carry on and must be checked, which unless your travel budget is first class it costs extra making a reasonable ticket become expensive. There are no compact landing mode cases that provide enough protection in fact my backpack gets put into a flight case, by the same manufacturer to assure proper protection. I decided to travel lighter and just ordered a Autel Evo that I should have on Friday, now it remains to be seen if the Inspire will get any more flight time LOL. I love the beast so I doubt it will be mothballed, but rather used only when I require utmost image quality. I feel like I'm cheating on y girlfriend.

thanks for your sharing about travel challenges with Inspire...I foresee that I need to park it at home if I get Inspire
2018-7-17
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-17 06:21
thanks much for your kind sharing mixchief; pardon my ignorance for being a newbie here: what exactly is Inspire RAW?

The Inspire 1 has 4 cameras I believe available to it, X3, X5, X5R and Z3, also there is an infrared Flir camera. The X5R records on 2 platforms simultaneously, the Micro SD card we are accustomed to and also an SSD, to which it delivers Cinema DNG files. DNG are raw files pretty much as you get from a DSLR and are recorded frame by frame making for huge files with the potential foe color grading and editing pretty much unreachable with "normal" continuous video files. The X5R is as close as you get to the Inspire 2 image quality. If you lookup Inspire 1 cameras in the DJI site, there are spec comparisons.
2018-7-18
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

mixchief Posted at 2018-7-18 04:19
The Inspire 1 has 4 cameras I believe available to it, X3, X5, X5R and Z3, also there is an infrared Flir camera. The X5R records on 2 platforms simultaneously, the Micro SD card we are accustomed to and also an SSD, to which it delivers Cinema DNG files. DNG are raw files pretty much as you get from a DSLR and are recorded frame by frame making for huge files with the potential foe color grading and editing pretty much unreachable with "normal" continuous video files. The X5R is as close as you get to the Inspire 2 image quality. If you lookup Inspire 1 cameras in the DJI site, there are spec comparisons.

Thanks so much mixchief for your kind and detailed information
2018-7-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

The I2 is a great craft and imaging system but if all your experience is based on the Mavic, I suggest you think twice. The aircraft purchase is one small piece of the total equation. There is the decision on which camera to buy, what configuration PRoRes / Raw, batteries, lenses, carrying packs, chargers, SSD cards, video editing programs, likely an upgraded CPU, drive arrays.... Many of the owners here are seasoned flyers so think carefully. You'll easily be in the hole for USD 12K ....
2018-7-20
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2018-7-20 01:30
The I2 is a great craft and imaging system but if all your experience is based on the Mavic, I suggest you think twice. The aircraft purchase is one small piece of the total equation. There is the decision on which camera to buy, what configuration PRoRes / Raw, batteries, lenses, carrying packs, chargers, SSD cards, video editing programs, likely an upgraded CPU, drive arrays.... Many of the owners here are seasoned flyers so think carefully. You'll easily be in the hole for USD 12K ....

thanks Mike-the-cat...you brought up all the relevant and important points..need to think twice.
2018-7-20
Use props
engelo
Captain
  • >>>
Greece

dronto Posted at 2018-7-17 05:45
wow nice and thanks for your kind sharing, any photos for both together?

i do not have picture with both of them. First i sold I1 and then i bought I2
2018-7-20
Use props
engelo
Captain
  • >>>
Greece

2018-7-20
Use props
engelo
Captain
  • >>>
Greece

Inpire 2 Endless LOVE !!!

GO FOR IT !!!
2018-7-20
Use props
fans2ed15f82
lvl.1
United States

I bought the Inspire 2 for personal use with the x5s camera.  I wish I had my money back.  It has never flown as it should, lots of bugs.  Updates never solve but a few of the problems, meanwhile causing more problems.
2018-7-21
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Wow awesome pictures engelo, thanks for your kind sharing.

Do you also use your inspire2 for work?

Very cool...which camera are you using?
2018-7-21
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

engelo Posted at 2018-7-20 20:49
Inpire 2 Endless LOVE !!!

GO FOR IT !!!

Thank you for your kind suggestion
2018-7-21
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

fans2ed15f82 Posted at 2018-7-21 05:02
I bought the Inspire 2 for personal use with the x5s camera.  I wish I had my money back.  It has never flown as it should, lots of bugs.  Updates never solve but a few of the problems, meanwhile causing more problems.

Sorry to hear that and thanks for sharing; which bugs are you referring to for your inspire 2?
2018-7-21
Use props
jcanose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62651 ft
United States

I have an Inspire 1 V2.0 and I barely fly it. I just don’t have the time. I’m also not a professional drone flyer; I consider myself recreational.

My Inspire 1 V2.0 was offered to me for a great price so I jumped on it and bought it. I’ve had it for almost two years and maybe have two hours of flying time.

I’m looking at the Mavic Mini now and am thinking of selling my Inspire with all the accessories soon.

I just don’t see a need for the Inspire as a recreational drone user. It’s overkill for someone who doesn’t use it all the time and doesn’t have an aerial photography/ videography business.
2019-11-10
Use props
Mr.Burns.666
lvl.4
Canada

I've start flying this summer and i got "bite by the bug"...I'm just a recreational user for the moment...but i really like it.I now have 6 drones.My last one was the Inspire 2
I don't think it's a great investment "bang for buck" cause like many have mention there a lot of problems related to the Inspire 2 (use the search fonction about Inspire 2 problems),.It's the worst stable drones that i've and it probably cost more than all my other drones combine.I really,really love the look of the Inspire 2,it make all the other drones like like toys but those toys are overall a better investment than the Inspire 2 but of course it depend on a lot of facto about what you are looking for..My Inspire 1 is really stable and is quite similar to the Inspire 2 if you just wanna flying for fun + they are now ridiculously cheap but the video setting / quality is not there so if you're also about video quality,the Inspire 1 is losing points there...don't get me wrong,you can still get good video but you need at least a X5 or X5R and maybe more post production work.I've start flying my Inspire 2 only 2 weeks ago and i was getting use to it but yesterday i've "undust" my Phantom 4 Pro and i was shock about how well it was flying,how stable it was and the image quality is pretty much the same than the X4s camera of the Inspire 2....now that's a good "bang for buck" drone but yes...it look like a toy...
In the end...it's all about your budget
If money is not a problem for you,go for it but if you are on a tight budget,probably not the best choice...at least "bang for buck"

2019-11-10
Use props
LIVNXXL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Purely for fun. I have 2 Inspire 1's that I am selling as Ijust puchased an I2. Not a pro in video or photo but I do enjoy it and have been able to get some really nice pictures that please me. My I1's were an x3 and an x5 camera where for the I2 i have the x4. After I play awile I will decide on upgrading to an x5 or not. Again, its purely for the fun of it for me.
2019-12-9
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

John's I2 Posted at 2018-7-16 01:09
I bought mine for pure recreation, my son kinda talked me into the inspire2. He has 3 different model DJI crafts, we just take them to different areas and fly. I did use mine on one job that we are doing now. I am contracted to raze 100K sq. ft of old mill buildings and we couldn't see between two of the buildings. So we used my inspire2 to drop down between the buildings to have a look for the demo guys. Good thing we did, we could see that the rear wall of one of the buildings coming down was leaning back about 10" in 25'. So it worked out well in that instance

You can even use a Mavic Mini for that job.  I would use a Mavic 2 Zoom so you can get reach w/ a smaller footprint otherwise you risk prop striking and losing the drone.
2019-12-9
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 12-9 12:08
Purely for fun. I have 2 Inspire 1's that I am selling as Ijust puchased an I2. Not a pro in video or photo but I do enjoy it and have been able to get some really nice pictures that please me. My I1's were an x3 and an x5 camera where for the I2 i have the x4. After I play awile I will decide on upgrading to an x5 or not. Again, its purely for the fun of it for me.

You cannot put an XT on an Inspire 2.  To have some enterprise capabilities better than the M2ED is cool.  I'm currently learning how to make a website w/ Udemy then I can pop in all the capabilities I have to do even beyond droning.  Right now the website has no thermals as I need a section for it but Adobe Portfolio is so basic that it pretty much only works great for putting pictures on the front page but anything more, it cannot do but they give you Dreamweaver and XD to use which I am learning.

M2Z is the best for fun especially w/ the DJI Goggles because you can zoom in and it's quicker.

2019-12-9
Use props
Inspire_Max
First Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I do! I like flying at full throttle, I like flying beyond VLOS for taking pictures of ships, I like flying in strong winds, up to 45-48 knots it manages wind without problems...It's a very powerful machine.

2019-12-17
Use props
Inspire_Max
First Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

However, my drone fleet is: Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Mini, Mavic Pro, Phantom 2, Phantom 2, Inspire 1, Inspire 2 and Parrot Disco.

So, I have a very wide choice when I want to take a drone for flying...
2019-12-17
Use props
eggbeater
First Officer
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly the I2 for fun.  As a retired media professional I take my fellow photographers flying.  Ive even made dates out of it.  After chasing money all my life its great just having fun flying.  The beast is definitely not airline travel friendly.  For travel make a friend with someone with an inspire in the host country and bring your extra transmitter if needed.   Local operators know the areas and would keep you out of trouble or get local flight clearance.  BTW, I travel with a Mavic Air and a submersible ROV in carry on for above and below fun.
2019-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules