Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
If I launch the Air with hand gestures, can I later connect the RC?
727 5 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danger Lampost
Second Officer

United States

If I power up the Air and double press the Function-LED on the back of the Drone and enter gesture mode without any controller or Go4 App connected , can I later connect using the RC/mobile if I want to take control? The reason I ask: Last time I tried out gesture mode, I could not get the landing gesture right and had to use the sticks to land. While I hope I've figured out the problem there, if I did launch without the Go4 App and have the same problem, can I connect the Go4 App later on in flight and take control?
2018-7-15
Use props
sky6105
First Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

The only way to know is try it.
2018-7-15
Use props
Danger Lampost
Second Officer

United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-7-15 11:37
The only way to know is try it.

And so I just did! Here's what I did:
  • Power on Air with the RC off and not launching the Go 4 app
  • Double tap the function button
  • Stand in front of drone with take off gesture
  • Drone takes off
  • Try out a few gestures like left / right forward / back - it all works
  • Try to land - FAIL!!! I could not get the Air to land. I do feel foolish because this is my second fail trying to get the Air to land, and I also watched some Youtube videos ahead of time on gesture control. I'll have to watch the drone's video and see if I can figure out why I couldn't get it to land.

And here's where it gets interesting. I powered on the RC and launched the Go 4 app and tried to connect - FAIL!!! I could not get "Go Fly" - could not connect. This was a surprise to me - I really thought it would connect.

Fortunately, all you have to do is get the altitude low enough with your hand gesture, then run away from the Air's active track so it loses track of you and starts hovering, then walk up beside it, grab hold underneath, and rapidly flip it 90 degress sideways to turn power off.
2018-7-15
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

The correct way is connect MA with RC first. On DJI Go selects gesture mode. Than you can start gestures control. If anything happen you can use RC to it immediately. I always have my RC when testing the gestures function for safety.
2018-7-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GDL Posted at 2018-7-15 17:03
The correct way is connect MA with RC first. On DJI Go selects gesture mode. Than you can start gestures control. If anything happen you can use RC to it immediately. I always have my RC when testing the gestures function for safety.

The point the OP is making is that the drone is also designed to be used purely in smart capture without the need of a device or the RC. Using the RC is therefore not the 'correct way' but an alternative and safer way. The MA can be used to be flown with just hand gestures but using this function does present issues with hand landing which is clearly a glitch that needs to be fixed.
2018-7-16
Use props
WayneMHK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Danger Lampost Posted at 2018-7-15 14:42
And so I just did! Here's what I did:
  • Power on Air with the RC off and not launching the Go 4 app
  • Double tap the function button

• "Try to land - FAIL!!! I could not get the Air to land. "

Don't feel bad.  I've never gotten mine to land either.  It just hovers there looking at me like a sick puppy.
    2018-7-16
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules