Yes, I've crashed landed my phantom 3 and I need some help
1128 19 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

Hey guys, my phantom 3 standard reciently broke and i need some help to know what is wrong with it so i can (hopefully) fix it!

So the thing is that I accidentally started flying the drone inverted in a closed space so in order not to hit it against a wall I landed it, but I landed it really hard.

Something must’ve broken in the gimbal, that is for sure.

Engines and IMU are fine i think

So the main problem is the horizontal stability in the gimbal. Whenever I turn the drone on, I get perfect feed and signal on my phone, I can see everyting and i detect no major problem.
However, when I turn the drone on, the gimbal keeps going from side to side. I dont feel like flying it cause I am afraid the drone can go disoriented somehow.

I searched and searched on the internet and the only posible cause I could find was the potenciometer on the roll motor, but I tested it and the amp looked fine. (I might have done it wrong)

If anyone has any idea of what broke and what to change, that would be great, because i dont feel like changing the whole camera (which is really expensive).

Also, I can check whatever you suspect can be broken.

My gut tells me it’s something related with the roll motor but again, i know nothing.

Thanks a lot guys!

PS: I attach a vid of the issue

2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Phantom 3 Standard. Since there was a hard landing that happened and it affected the gimbal of the Drone. I highly suggest contacting DJI Support to check the status of the Drone. I will be posting the DJI online repair request link ( www.dji.com/support ) for you to create a ticket for your Drone for us to further assess and check the damage on it. Thank you.
2018-7-15
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

Oh so the thing is, in the region I live (Argentina) there is no DJI support coverage, so I was hoping for a way someone could help me fix it since throwing away a perfectly working drone doesn't sound just right
2018-7-15
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Why do you start up the drone on it's back?

2018-7-15
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

Oh i was just checking the potentiometer on the roll motor, so it was easier to start it that way, but if I start it with the correct side up it behaves the same
2018-7-15
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft

Did you try it standing on the gear yet?
2018-7-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I suggest you make another video with the AC right-side-up.  Good luck
2018-7-15
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Some people would say to rerun the drone IMU calibration.

2018-7-15
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

calibrate camera gimbal and the drone imu when its on orginal position not upside down     

2018-7-15
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

I've done a full IMU calibration and a gimbal calibration with the drone facing the right way, but never mind, I'll do it again and film the whole booting process
2018-7-15
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Air/America Posted at 2018-7-15 11:23
Why do you start up the drone on it's back?

When I have my car inspected they turn it upside down as well.
My roof is looking funny since 1st inspection.
2018-7-15
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft

Check the gimbal motor shaft setscrews? Are they lined up on the flats of the motor? Check the easiest fix first... There is a YouTube video out there.
2018-7-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Where is that next video?

I would like to see it fire up, upright.

RedHotPoker
2018-7-15
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

IS that what you guys are asking, about it being turned on upside now? What about him flying inverted then?????????
So the thing is that I accidentally started flying the drone inverted in a closed space so in order not to hit it against a wall I landed it, but I landed it really hard.

2018-7-15
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

Ok so I did fire it up properly, and as you can see in the vids, first time i fired it up, it started wiggling like crazy. Second time it was just noise. I also send a screen recording of my phone so you can see. I did a full IMU calibration and I'm also sending my parameters. As you can see, I get this blinking alert that sometimes goes away saying "gimbal motor overload". So what I tried some months ago was turning the gimbal motor shaft just in case it was missaligned, but I guess it did not work. I'm sending a picture of the potentiometer and shaft so you can see. It is important to notice that the shaft was incredibly hard to turn, I had to make an incredible amount of force. Also, I've checked the set screw on the yaw arm and it seems fine (tight and aligned with the main D). Also, whenever I try to roll the gimbal using the DJI GO app (last version btw) it does absolutely nothing.

thank you all a lot guys!

2018-7-16
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

2018-7-16
Use props
Salcedodedo
lvl.1

Argentina

forgot this one

Screenshot_2018-07-16-19-28-51.png
2018-7-16
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

Best to send it back to DJI for repairs.  There could be damage inside that you might not see.  DJI Stephen is correct on this.  You might be able to fix the gimble yourself, but who knows what might happen if you were able to get the bird back up and there is still a yet unknown bit of damage.
2018-7-22
Use props
rubyduby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228776 ft

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-7-22 15:06
Best to send it back to DJI for repairs.  There could be damage inside that you might not see.  DJI Stephen is correct on this.  You might be able to fix the gimble yourself, but who knows what might happen if you were able to get the bird back up and there is still a yet unknown bit of damage.

did you accidentally leave Gimbal guard in place while you fired her up and burned out something? i ask cause i've done this myself i just noticed right away.
2018-10-4
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-15 20:45
IS that what you guys are asking, about it being turned on upside now? What about him flying inverted then?????????

Ummm is that even possible. Hmmm lets see props on opposite motors. Reverse all inputs and turn drone upside down for take off and your good to go. Umm landing could be tricky.
2018-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules