Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Need a real OS application
941 6 2015-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sofagbem
lvl.1

United States

The move by DJI away from a full featured OS to apps has resulted in the complicated and unreliable firmware updating process and the inability to easily identify what firmware is on the devices.

The new method of download and extract is convoluted, and again confirms the dependence of tablets on PCs/Macs to do any real work.

I believe DJI should rethink the policy of apps only support for these crafts.
2015-5-20
Use props
apocnz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

All they really need to do is

1. Provide clear firmware version reporting in the app for both the Phantom and the controller (currently mine just shows nothing next to firmware version)
2. Add OTA firmware upgrades via the app.

I'm sure not if OTA updgrades are possible and/or if lightbridge has a file transfer protocol at its disposal (which could be why we're stuck using SD cards/USB sticks for updating).

It's not super bad, it just seems like a step backwards from P2 in the context of technology.
2015-5-20
Use props
aburkefl
First Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

apocnz@gmail.co Posted at 2015-5-21 13:08
All they really need to do is

1. Provide clear firmware version reporting in the app for both the  ...

I was "phanta-sizing" last night (pun intended!). I wouldn't mind a small groundstation that would run off my laptop instead of a mobile device.
2015-5-21
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I respectfully do not agree with sofagbem.  You can always check your firmware versions in the mobile app.  (In the "About" screen.)

Updating via the SD card works just fine.  Not had any issues.  Seems straightforward to me.
2015-5-21
Use props
sofagbem
lvl.1

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-22 00:16
I respectfully do not agree with sofagbem.  You can always check your firmware versions in the mobil ...

Not as straightforward as connect the aircraft and firmware downloaded and installed.

If you see the threads on the P1 and P2, while people had issues with what the changes in the firmware brought, there were no problems with updating it.  Not so with the P3
2015-5-21
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

sofagbem Posted at 2015-5-22 03:05
Not as straightforward as connect the aircraft and firmware downloaded and installed.

If you see  ...

I suppose DJI could simply build the software updater into the mobile apps.  (It'a already connected via USB anyways.)

I think DJI does not want to write a separate app for Windows and Mac-OS.  They already have iOS and Android apps to worry about.  

I just don't think copying a .bin file to an SD card and turning on the drone is all that difficult to understand.  But I guess some people can't grasp the concept of copying a file from a computer to an SD card.
2015-5-22
Use props
Ulysse
First Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

It seems way too difficult to copy a bin to the root of an SD card in this "no brain ages". Just take a look on some P3 facebook groups... OH MY GOD how is this possible !!!
2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules