Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Return To Home; Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak
5226 16 2018-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jacksmith91
New
United Kingdom

Evening, I purchased my DJI Mavic Air today. It’s my first drone, and I need some help. So, the ‘Return To Home’ function, sounds amazing, sounds like something I would use quite a lot. However, I’ve read up on it and there are two types of RTH. ‘Return to Hone point’ and ‘return to current GPS location/remote’.My issue is that I don’t want it to go to a home point. So for example if I’m in a field, and my home point is home, I don’t want the drone to fly back home.
So as far as I’m aware I would want it to return to my location.
On the settings on the drone there are two homepoint settings; a paper airplane icon and a person icon.
So, as far as I can tell the paper airplane icon would be he home points and the person icon would be to return to me.
However when I click the person icon I get the following; ‘Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak. It’s location cannot be acquired’

Is there a way to turn off the home location and only use the current location?
Has anyone else had the same issue with being unable to locate the mobile GPS signal?
Is it just a matter of where I am?

Any advise would be much appreciated

I use an iPhone 7 on 4G (not WiFi) and I live in Brighton, England
2018-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

The phrase 'Home Point' refers to where the aircraft was soon after the motors were armed. When the aircraft can see sufficient GPS satellites using its GPS/GLONASS receivers then it automatically records its current position as 'Home Point', before or just after take off (best to wait for GPS).

As you've noticed there is an option to change this recorded home point. At any point during the flight the home point can be reallocated to either the point directly below where the aircraft is located; or the home point can be set to the location of the RC's display device. But for that to happen the display device Must have its own built in GPS. If it does not then then resetting the home point to RC position cannot be used.

Edit:- or at least that's how it is with my P4 & Mavic Pro. I have 'assumed' the Mavic Air has the same functionality.
2018-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Where ever you take off that’s your homepoint, at first I would leave it set to RTH there.
2018-7-15
Use props
jacksmith91
New
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-15 13:36
The phrase 'Home Point' refers to where the aircraft was soon after the motors were armed. When the aircraft can see sufficient GPS satellites using its GPS/GLONASS receivers then it automatically records its current position as 'Home Point', before or just after take off (best to wait for GPS).

As you've noticed there is an option to change this recorded home point. At any point during the flight the home point can be reallocated to either the point directly below where the aircraft is located; or the home point can be set to the location of the RC's display device. But for that to happen the display device Must have its own built in GPS. If it does not then then resetting the home point to RC position cannot be used.

So if I press the return to homepoint, it should just go back to the remote controller where the GPS point is located?

As you can see from the screen shot, this is the error I’m getting.

When I click the paper airplane kind of icon it brings up a message asking me to ‘record a home point’

When I click the person icon, that’s the error message I get.

I guess I’m just a bit too cautious, and want to be on the safe side.

So you’re suggesting that regardless of where I am (let’s say a walk in the hills for example), and I press the return to home button, it should fly back to the first point it was launched/started up at?
78C132B5-CA4C-42D5-B397-AD42C0C404F0.png
F7B8B5C8-D58F-4E5A-B478-FBDCC4E528B2.png
2018-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

jacksmith91 Posted at 2018-7-15 13:45
So if I press the return to homepoint, it should just go back to the remote controller where the GPS point is located?

If you press RTH it will return to the point the aircraft took off (which can be checked on the map).

The message you're getting is what you would see if you chose to set home point as your iPhone location (connected to RC of course) but the GPS reception to iPhone was poor, or not enabled. To check its enabled go to 'Location Services' under 'Privacy' in iPhone 'Settings'. If you're testing indoors you will likely have a poor GPS signal to phone.
2018-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

jacksmith91 Posted at 2018-7-15 13:45

"So you’re suggesting that regardless of where I am (let’s say a walk in the hills for example), and I press the return to home button, it should fly back to the first point it was launched/started up at?"

It will return to take off point if you've not changed it. If you have walked half a mile away into the hills, then you have the option to reset your 'Home Point' to where the iPhone/RC is, or it could be the aircraft is hovering 50 feet in front of you at this new place so you could set the point below the aircraft as a new 'Home Point'. It's a great feature. Only thing to be wary of would be to check location on map if using iPhone location as these receivers aren't always the best. And you wouldn't want a poor GPS phone signal to send it somewhere else. The good news is that you can cancel RTH just by pressing the button again, or cancelling on screen.
2018-7-15
Use props
jacksmith91
New
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-15 13:59
If you press RTH it will return to the point the aircraft took off (which can be checked on the map).

The message you're getting is what you would see if you chose to set home point as your iPhone location (connected to RC of course) but the GPS reception to iPhone was poor, or not enabled. To check its enabled go to 'Location Services' under 'Privacy' in iPhone 'Settings'. If you're testing indoors you will likely have a poor GPS signal to phone.

Its strange as my location services were all enabled, as well as the WiFi on my phone (which I use for the drone) was disabled to ensure it’s on the 4G.
When you say ‘the message you’re getting is when you try to set the home point as your iPhone location’ is that not what I want because that’s where the remote control is?
I’m sorry, I’m very new to this! I just have read horror stories about people’s going missing and I’m trying to avoid the same!
I’ve also been testing outdoors by the way, not indoors.

I’m confused about what the difference between the two icons are. When I click the arrow (paper airplane icon) it appears to bring up a map and asks me if I would like to set home point as there, if it’s the person icon it’s the gps site (however it doesn’t allow me to set that at the moment).

I’ve just found this on DJI’s website; Your Home Point can be your drone’s location before taking off, or it can be where ever your remote controller is, check that it’s correct.

So I take it that’s the answer then.

Out of curiosity, do you tend to fly the location to be home point set, or do you click the person icon so it lands where you are (also do you ever seem to have any issues with it?)
2018-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>

jacksmith91 Posted at 2018-7-15 14:16
Its strange as my location services were all enabled, as well as the WiFi on my phone (which I use for the drone) was disabled to ensure it’s on the 4G.
When you say ‘the message you’re getting is when you try to set the home point as your iPhone location’ is that not what I want because that’s where the remote control is?
I’m sorry, I’m very new to this! I just have read horror stories about people’s going missing and I’m trying to avoid the same!

Try outside with all connected and powered up, and give your phone GPS a chance to lock onto sufficient satellites, then it should be able to set RC point as 'home point'.

I never use RTH to return and land aircraft, I always do that manually. Only time I've used RTH is to prove that it is functioning in the unlikely event my RC stops working.
2018-7-15
Use props
jacksmith91
New

Thanks for your help!
2018-7-16
Use props
MavikMatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 660092 ft
  • >>>

I'm a newbie too. Good advice from Aardvark. Just a point though - I learned its best to put whatever phone or iPad you use on 'airplane mode'. You don't want any calls or alerts coming in while you are flying. Especially if they somehow disrupt the DJI App.  Enjoy!
2018-7-16
Use props
motard
First Officer
Flight distance : 1156263 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

When this happens to me, is that gps location on my phone is in battery saving, I change to high accuracy, done.
Screenshot_20180717-143302.jpg
2018-7-17
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

thanks sharing all, very helpful
2018-7-17
Use props
BillJenkins
lvl.1

If you looking best paper writing service welcome to WritingPaperSucks!
2018-8-4
Use props
Fly-DJI
lvl.1
Germany

I have exactly the same problems (Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak), when I try to set the Home Point to the position of the remote. I had it with my iPhone 7 and now I do have it with the iPhone XS as well. Even in flat unobstructed areas.
2018-12-6
Use props
Fly-DJI
lvl.1
Germany

Fly-DJI Posted at 12-6 03:38
I have exactly the same problems (Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak), when I try to set the Home Point to the position of the remote. I had it with my iPhone 7 and now I do have it with the iPhone XS as well. Even in flat unobstructed areas.

I have exactly the same problems with my Mavic Air (Mobile Device GPS Signal Weak), when I try to set the Home Point to the position of the remote. I had it with my iPhone 7 and now I do have it with the iPhone XS as well. Even in flat unobstructed areas.
Does anybody ever could use this feature on the Mavic Air?
I performed each and every update. Could anybody please tell me how to get it work with an iPhone?
Thank you so much.

Best regards,
Fly-DJI
2018-12-6
Use props
bigbear1
lvl.1

Vietnam

Do you want to impress your girlfriend’s father so bad you participate in a sing-off? Prove your worth in Friday Night Funkin  and sing to the beat.

Feel the epic rap music battle and fight other with the power of rap music in friday night funkin game mobile edition!
2022-1-12
Use props
djiuser_kYLbohnlR4wZ
New

Germany

Missing "remote" icon in the application, it is impossible to activate "Aktiv track", "Smart capture" etc. how to return it?
2022-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules