Quickshot Circle and Crash
5126 26 2018-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alpbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 779281 ft
Turkey

Hello,I flew my MA yesterday in the front yard. During the flight, I wanted to give it a try for quickshot circle mode.  All of a sudden, I noticed that it was moving towards a tree while rotating.  Surprisingly, the application had not asked me about the distance. In fact, I have used this mode only for a couple of times throughout a total flight time of 13 hours/140.000 meters. I thought that the sensors would prevent any crash so I waited a little.  Unfortunately, It crashed to a tree even though I tried to stop the circle mode by moving the pitch upwards.

It was my firsh crash after my purchase. Everyhing was looking normal after the crash except for the props. All the props got damaged slightly. Then, I tried to fly the drone after the crash to check it was still flying. Luckily, it was flying. I have changed all the props the same day, but I did not fly.

What I want to ask is whether obstacle avoidance is disabled during the circle mode or not. Secondly, I am a little worried about my MA in terms of stability or any hidden damage. Is there any practical way to check if there is any permanent damage?

Thank you all for your advice, btw, I have already uploaded the flight log.

2018-7-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Only real practical way to check is to send drone in. After crash you should always preform a correct IMU calibration and gimbal calibration.

Unfortunately for you doing a circle mode, Aircraft is flying sideways so obstacle avoidance won’t be much help. It’s best when using these modes to have in mind if something goes wrong, a procedure like how to stop drone, X on the screen and pause button will immediately stop craft , and avoid crash. There also should be an option to change parameters, they may have been set and you just chose to use those settings.

Good luck and fly safe.....
2018-7-16
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

I'm sorry to tell you this but this was your fault. When you circle around an object, the drone is obviously moving sideways, which means that the drone can't detect obstacles because it has no sidewards
sensors. If you want to stop a flight mode, press the pause button on the RC or change to sport mode.

If all the sensors work properly in the system check and you changed the propellers I wouldn't worry too much. Just do a few test flights in a safe open area and see if the drone behaves normally.
2018-7-16
Use props
Her-man2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft

I've found a link stating that during quickshots obstacle avoidance is disabled....
Mavic Air quickshot obstacle avoidance disabled

But that is a few months old thread and new firmware has become available. The latest manual (end of May) doesn't state the same disablement but still states that above and beside no avoidance is active. Implicitly this indicates that below/front/back avoidance should be active. Where you flying sideways into the tree?
2018-7-16
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Netherlands

you do know that the MA only has front and rear sensors right? it cannot sense anything when flying sideways like in circle
2018-7-16
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Turkey

Thanks for all your comments. I admit that it is totally my fault. I totally agree with saviour that I should have pressed the pause button.
2018-7-16
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for what happened. Is there any error message appeared when that happened? We highly suggest to send it to our repair center and let it check as well by our engineers to determine what causes the problem. To start up a case, you can go to https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.
2018-7-16
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Turkey

Hi DJI Wanda,
No, I have not seen any error messages appeared. This was totally my fault. I should have been more careful when I was in this mode. After the crash, I replaced the props, implemented IMU and gimbal calibration. Everything seems to be normal now.

Thank you for your consideration
2018-7-16
Use props
Her-man2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-16 06:59
Hello there. We apologize for what happened. Is there any error message appeared when that happened? We highly suggest to send it to our repair center and let it check as well by our engineers to determine what causes the problem. To start up a case, you can go to https://repair.dji.com/repair/index.

Hi DJI Wanda, could you comment on obstacle avoidance either being active or inactive during quickshot modes? That is not fully clear to me.

Thanks in advance.
2018-7-17
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Her-man2 Posted at 2018-7-17 03:33
Hi DJI Wanda, could you comment on obstacle avoidance either being active or inactive during quickshot modes? That is not fully clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

If you read the other responses in this thread you have the answer already. Obstacle avoidance is not disabled. But it cannot work as usual because the aircraft is flying sidewards in this mode. I have crashed mine one time in a similar scenario and I knew it was 100% my fault.
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

alpbird Posted at 2018-7-16 22:15
Hi DJI Wanda,
No, I have not seen any error messages appeared. This was totally my fault. I should have been more careful when I was in this mode. After the crash, I replaced the props, implemented IMU and gimbal calibration. Everything seems to be normal now.

Alright. But if there's something unusual happen, please let us know.
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Her-man2 Posted at 2018-7-17 03:33
Hi DJI Wanda, could you comment on obstacle avoidance either being active or inactive during quickshot modes? That is not fully clear to me.

Thanks in advance.

You can refer to the answer of @hallmark007 and @saviour.
2018-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

How is your drone, is it flying ok.
2018-7-17
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

Roundhouse_ Posted at 2018-7-16 03:30
you do know that the MA only has front and rear sensors right? it cannot sense anything when flying sideways like in circle

...and downward.
2018-7-17
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Turkey

Yes, thank you for your help. It is flying perfectly.
Regards
2018-7-18
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Her-man2 Posted at 2018-7-16 03:00
I've found a link stating that during quickshots obstacle avoidance is disabled....
Mavic Air quickshot obstacle avoidance disabled

I've had obstacle avoidance kick in when doing a "Dronie" but obviously there are sensors front and back. No sensors on the side equals no obstacle avoidance side to side. The leaked Mavic Pro 2 has sensors on the side right? Maybe we'll have this in for future but not right now.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Bing Err Posted at 2018-7-18 02:32
I've had obstacle avoidance kick in when doing a "Dronie" but obviously there are sensors front and back. No sensors on the side equals no obstacle avoidance side to side. The leaked Mavic Pro 2 has sensors on the side right? Maybe we'll have this in for future but not right now.

Hi, unfortunately, we haven't received any information if ever that we will release a new DJI Product, I would suggest paying attention to our website for further updates. Thanks for the interest.
2018-7-18
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-18 14:47
Hi, unfortunately, we haven't received any information if ever that we will release a new DJI Product, I would suggest paying attention to our website for further updates. Thanks for the interest.

Thus the reason I said "Maybe"
2018-7-18
Use props
Roundhouse_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13228 ft
Netherlands

yup and downward, cause these are the most important in a question where the user was flying sideways...
2018-7-19
Use props
Kamal Nor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307024 ft
Malaysia

alpbird Posted at 2018-7-16 04:16
Thanks for all your comments. I admit that it is totally my fault. I totally agree with saviour that I should have pressed the pause button.

How was it totally your fault when the Quickshot Circle doesn't work properly?. Like you, my circle mode never successful as it always end up towards the marked object. Luckily I managed to cancel the mode before the crash. Yes I agreed, MA has no sideways sensor but it would not happen if the circle mode works properly.
2018-7-29
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Turkey

Kamal Nor Posted at 2018-7-29 23:56
How was it totally your fault when the Quickshot Circle doesn't work properly?. Like you, my circle mode never successful as it always end up towards the marked object. Luckily I managed to cancel the mode before the crash. Yes I agreed, MA has no sideways sensor but it would not happen if the circle mode works properly.

I do not quite know what to say since I have used this feature only twice so far. You might be right.
2018-7-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

They should call it Black Hole mode as always fall into the centre.
2018-7-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

Many people reported MA Attack the object it tracks in the active track mode. Be very careful when you use the tracking functions.
2018-7-30
Use props
Kamal Nor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307024 ft
Malaysia

GDL Posted at 2018-7-30 00:16
Many people reported MA Attack the object it tracks in the active track mode. Be very careful when you use the tracking functions.

I don't know about others but in my case I only got problems with Quickshot Circle. The rest are all fine so far.  But agreed with that Black hole mode lol (Fly at your own risk)
2018-7-30
Use props
alpbird
lvl.3
Turkey

After my last accident with the circle mode, I decided not to use it again. I am trying to hone my skills to make the circling manually.
2018-7-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

It’s not difficult to fly cycle with MA. Only thing need to aware is ensure the space is clear and safe for cycling. You need to look on screen 100% times to lock on the object during cycle and unable to see the drone. Better to ask a friend to help you look on the drone and warning you if see any danger.
2018-7-30
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

alpbird Posted at 2018-7-30 01:03
After my last accident with the circle mode, I decided not to use it again. I am trying to hone my skills to make the circling manually.

That is what I'm currently practicing. It will help my poor piloting skills!
2018-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules