DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Latest Inspire 2 firmware opens even more cinematic possibilities
Zenmuse X7 is Ready for ProRes RAW

bbs-980x444.jpg

DJI is pleased to announce the latest firmware update for Inspire 2 and Zenmuse X7 is now available offering expanded features and upgrades. The firmware update allows Zenmuse X7 owners with a CinemaDNG license the ability to record Apple ProRes RAW and Apple ProRes RAW HQ at 14-bits along with a host of other features and improvements. ProRes RAW brings the quality and workflow advantages of RAW with the incredible performance of ProRes. Editors can import, edit and grade pristine footage with RAW data from the camera sensor, providing ultimate flexibility when adjusting highlights and shadows, without slowing down their editing workflow. Operators using the CINESSD can now take advantage of the exFAT storage system with a max file size of 32GB for a more seamless workflow and post processing. Additionally, the firmware expands on the overall performance and corrects some anomalies.

For a full list of improvements, please visit:  https://www.dji.com/inspire-2/info#downloads

FAQ:
-How much does this FW cost?
The FW is free but support for the new Apple Codec requires users to have a CinemaDNG license.

2018-7-17
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

Wow very nice Grace, thanks for the kind sharing
2018-7-17
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It’s not showing, is the website still to be updated?
2018-7-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

Very nice info!
2018-7-17
Use props
VikramDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 543763 ft
  • >>>
India

Wow it can be for XT2 and XT?
2018-7-17
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Folks,

I did the update and all seems to work fine.  However, the web site has not been updated and there is no documentation for the update on the Inspire 2 download page.

In my initial tests ProRes RAW is very demanding during playback on my system.

CPU Mac Pro 6 cores.  It is running 90% loaded during playback with a pan movement.
Promise Pegasus 2 RAID array is running 400 mb/sec.

Frame 5760 x 3240 at 30 fps

I will do some tests on my laptop tomorrow.

Ray

2018-7-17
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2018-7-17 23:26
Hi Folks,

I did the update and all seems to work fine.  However, the web site has not been updated and there is no documentation for the update on the Inspire 2 download page.

Did the update appear in assistant?
2018-7-17
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
First Officer
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Awesome announcement! Way to go DJI, Grace, you made us really happy
2018-7-18
Use props
Werner Franck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2080886 ft
  • >>>

Thx Grace. I did the update successfully (version 01.02.0200) but the remote controller was not updated to the latest version (01.01.0020). There is no message when launching the go4 app. Can I force the update of the RC?
2018-7-18
Use props
flyingfun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2551998 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Werner Franck Posted at 2018-7-18 02:10
Thx Grace. I did the update successfully (version 01.02.0200) but the remote controller was not updated to the latest version (01.01.0020). There is no message when launching the go4 app. Can I force the update of the RC?

see in the release notes :

Aircraft V01.02.0200
Remote V01.01.0020

Your on the correct version with your remote
2018-7-18
Use props
AlexVideoShark 5
Captain
Flight distance : 4522884 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Very nice ...
2018-7-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great info - still a highly impressive platform
2018-7-18
Use props
Werner Franck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2080886 ft
  • >>>

flyingfun Posted at 2018-7-18 04:23
see in the release notes :

Aircraft V01.02.0200

Thx. But my current version of the RC is still V01.01.0010.
2018-7-18
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Can anyone answer if the standard ProRes is still available as an option after the update?
ProRes Raw can only be edited by using FCPX. So until this has changed normal ProRes ist still the way to go for 99% of my customers.
2018-7-18
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

A good update, but it is a shame that DJI don't let X5S users who have paid the CinemaDNG/ProRes license also get ProRes RAW. The license is not tied to the camera, it is tied to the CineCore inside the Inspire 2. The X7 is a better camera, but the X5S would benefit from ProRes RAW also. So DJI cuts X5S user out from something they have paid for as much as the X7 users, in my opinion.
2018-7-18
Use props
Systems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2466437 ft
Finland

I will not buy this product any more !!!!   It's very ugly!  DJI
2018-7-18
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3754318 ft
  • >>>

I've just played around with it after updating and noticed a few interesting things so far.

There are two format options, Prores RAW & Prores RAW HQ.  Prores RAW offers only two resolutions, 6K 16x9 (5760x3240) and 6K 17x9 (6016x3200). I was really pleased to see 6K options but surprised to not see any lower resolutions. Also, switching to Prores HQ only offers (not recording). It does not seem possible to select a Prores HQ recording format currently.

The workflow is going to take some figuring out, unlike CDNG in resolve there are no options to adjust things like white balance and exposure via RAW controls in FCPX, these can only be adjusted via the regular colour correction options.

Having the ExFat file system is nice though, clips are recorded to single files instead of multiples now.

The Mac Finder, Preview & Quicktime Player apps are not able to play back Prores RAW files so it's not possible to preview these files in the same way you would normal Prores. FCPX however can display them just fine both in the import window and within the app.

[Update] - I removed the part about not having D-LOG, that was my mistake as it's only available in CINE EI mode
[Update] - As per Barry's note below Prores RAW HQ is only available in NTSC framerates (23.97fps) hence it not showing for me in PAL settings.
[Update] - 14 bit recording is only available in NTSC framerates, all PAL framerates seem to be 12 bit.

2018-7-18
Use props
Coyut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Paul Joy Posted at 2018-7-18 09:37
I've just played around with it after updating and noticed a few interesting things so far.

There are two format options, Prores RAW & Prores RAW HQ.  Prores RAW offers only two resolutions, 6K 16x9 (5760x3240) and 6K 17x9 (6016x3200). I was really pleased to see 6K options but surprised to not see any lower resolutions. Also, switching to Prores HQ only offers (not recording). It does not seem possible to select a Prores HQ recording format currently.

Is standard ProRes still available?
2018-7-18
Use props
FlyaDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 188750 ft
United States

Credit where credit is due, very quick turnaround of gimbal yaw bug. Waiting for others to get flying and give some feedback.
2018-7-18
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>

Coyut Posted at 2018-7-18 10:02
Is standard ProRes still available?

Yes it is. Prores HQ and 444 still in the menu.
2018-7-18
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Paul— a couple of things to help you out. (I’ve been working with the beta for a few weeks, and it took a trip to the inspire2 marketing page to figure a couple of things out.)So the HQ codec is only available in 24p (23.98). Change the frame rate and you’ll have the same two frame sizes in HQ. Also you’ have a 48fps version of standard PRRaw (1.5x crop). As for FCP.. there actually is a white balance/tint slider set in the color wheels correction tool.
2018-7-18
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-7-18 10:04
Hey Paul— a couple of things to help you out. (I’ve been working with the beta for a few weeks, and it took a trip to the inspire2 marketing page to figure a couple of things out.)So the HQ codec is only available in 24p (23.98). Change the frame rate and you’ll have the same two frame sizes in HQ. Also you’ have a 48fps version of standard PRRaw (1.5x crop). As for FCP.. there actually is a white balance/tiny slider set in the color wheels correction tool.

Thanks Barry thats useful to know. Hopefully the HQ variant will become an option for PAL users too. Do you mean the temperature slider? Yes I know about that, what I meant was there are none of the usual settings options that RAW users might be used too. Colour correction is done in much the same way as any other clip it seems.
Can I ask if you've had any success using LUT's? When I try and apply the ususal D-LOG to rec709 lut to a ProRes RAW clip the image turns extremely underexposed.
2018-7-18
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Hi Group,

You will find the Release notes for ProRes RAW under Inspire 2 Downloads.

https://www.dji.com/inspire-2/info#downloads

The new manual for the X7 that contains the ProRes RAW specifications in under the X7 downloads.

https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x7/info#downloads

NOTE:  Those of you looking for ProRes RAW on the X5S, the specs are only found in the X7 Downloads...don't hold your breath!
2018-7-18
Use props
Barry Goyette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul Joy Posted at 2018-7-18 10:12
Thanks Barry thats useful to know. Hopefully the HQ variant will become an option for PAL users too. Do you mean the temperature slider? Yes I know about that, what I meant was there are none of the usual settings options that RAW users might be used too. Colour correction is done in much the same way as any other clip it seems.
Can I ask if you've had any success using LUT's? When I try and apply the ususal D-LOG to rec709 lut to a ProRes RAW clip the image turns extremely underexposed.

Not sure about the PAL thing I haven't looked, but you're probably right. As far as color correction goes...yes...essentially you are working with the raw image at all times...so the color tools are the same as any other file in FCPX. The workflow is different than Resolve...but not that different. You do have a white balance picker in addition to the temperature wheel. (balance color).

As far as the LUT..make sure you are applying both the raw to log conversion and the camera LUT. Also, best results if you modify your library color setting to wide gamut HDR. The current LUT results in an image that looks a lot like d-cinelike...flat and desaturated...it shouldn't look underexposed.  Also...from what I've seen so far, it doesn't matter what mode you shoot RAW in, (standard, EI rec.709 or LOG)  the resulting image is identical in FCPX.  I'll have a review, tutorial and footage available in a day or so.
2018-7-18
Use props
Skyling
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12489137 ft
  • >>>

ProRes RAW is also coming for the X5S wrote a DJI staff member „Andre Becker“ it needs a Little Bit More Time.
FF7DF333-2D08-471B-BA31-09686CFAD59C.jpeg
2018-7-18
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Skyling Posted at 2018-7-18 13:34
ProRes RAW is also coming for the X5S wrote a DJI staff member „Andre Becker“ it needs a Little Bit More Time.

Can you provide a link to this post please
2018-7-18
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2018-7-18 11:39
Hi Group,

You will find the Release notes for ProRes RAW under Inspire 2 Downloads.

ProRes RAW works well with 12 bit depth cameras, as seen in the X7 manual. The X7 can record ProRes RAW both in 12 bit and 14. But ProRes RAW HQ is so far only available in 14 bit recording mode.

The X5S is a 12 bit camera, so it should not be an issue with recording ProRes RAW.
2018-7-18
Use props
Vijay Marry
New

Very nice shopping
2018-7-19
Use props
Skyling
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12489137 ft
  • >>>
Germany

jdmagoo Posted at 2018-7-18 19:16
Can you provide a link to this post please

Here it´s the official DJI Group for the Inspire

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ ... k/1769121499840162/
2018-7-19
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>

Barry Goyette Posted at 2018-7-18 12:01
Not sure about the PAL thing I haven't looked, but you're probably right. As far as color correction goes...yes...essentially you are working with the raw image at all times...so the color tools are the same as any other file in FCPX. The workflow is different than Resolve...but not that different. You do have a white balance picker in addition to the temperature wheel. (balance color).

As far as the LUT..make sure you are applying both the raw to log conversion and the camera LUT. Also, best results if you modify your library color setting to wide gamut HDR. The current LUT results in an image that looks a lot like d-cinelike...flat and desaturated...it shouldn't look underexposed.  Also...from what I've seen so far, it doesn't matter what mode you shoot RAW in, (standard, EI rec.709 or LOG)  the resulting image is identical in FCPX.  I'll have a review, tutorial and footage available in a day or so.

Thanks Barry. Can you expand on the RAW to LOG conversion you mention?
2018-7-19
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

I have struggled to get this firmware, and it's betas, to install properly. I know I am not alone with the exact same issue, another person on another forum showed screenshot of the exact same problem. The issue have been that the firmware update of the camera fails at around 19% (according to CS DJI Go).

I've tried to refresh the Inspire to v*.100, factory reset, and installing .200 via DJI Assistant on two different computers, one PC and one Mac. On both computers it failed. I've tried to update via CS on my Cendence and it fails. I've tried to update via CS directly connected to the Inspire but it failed. I've tried to update again after the failed update (retrying to update failed modules only), and it fails. I have been able to downgrade to *.100 though (after some initial problems).

I've been in contact with support during the beta period, and all I got was the recommendation to send it all in, despite the camera actually is working.

But I finally got it working by:

* I used an iPad, made sure I was logged in with my account and had internet access. (I normally use my CS UB).
* I set my original remote controller as Master (I normally use my Cendence as master and the original remote as a camera slave).
* Reboot everything until I got the information that there is a new firmware available.
* I connected the iPad directly to the Inspire 2's USB, and made the update. It worked!
* Reboot of controller/Inspire 2.
* New firmware available for the controller - update.
* Reboot of controller/Inspire 2. Everything is ok!

So, in short, updating via Assistant fails, updating via CS fails. Updating via an iPad worked. I think DJI really needs to check the procedure on upgrading firmwares, and how well it works on their own different softwares. I'm glad I did not send it all in per DJI's recommendation. I would have been without drone for I don't know how long.
2018-7-19
Use props
Paul Joy
lvl.4
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2018-7-19 01:54
I have struggled to get this firmware, and it's betas, to install properly. I know I am not alone with the exact same issue, another person on another forum showed screenshot of the exact same problem. The issue have been that the firmware update of the camera fails at around 19% (according to CS DJI Go).

I've tried to refresh the Inspire to v*.100, factory reset, and installing .200 via DJI Assistant on two different computers, one PC and one Mac. On both computers it failed. I've tried to update via CS on my Cendence and it fails. I've tried to update via CS directly connected to the Inspire but it failed. I've tried to update again after the failed update (retrying to updated failed modules only), and it fails. I have been able to downgrade to *.100 though (after some initial problems).

I had the same error first time I tried. I connected my iPhone to the Inspire with a USB cable and initially had the Remote & CS running at the same time. On the second attempt I switched off the remote and the update ran straight through.
2018-7-19
Use props
allanart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I installed the A/C firmware update (V01.02.0200) via Assistant 2 (on Win 10) without any problems. The R/C firmware update (V01.01.0020) was done via iPAD as usual.
Its worth checking that you have have the latest version of Assistant 2 installed..

Kind regards
Allan
2018-7-19
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

allanart Posted at 2018-7-19 11:21
I installed the A/C firmware update (V01.02.0200) via Assistant 2 (on Win 10) without any problems. The R/C firmware update (V01.01.0020) was done via iPAD as usual.
Its worth checking that you have have the latest version of Assistant 2 installed..

I had the latest Assistant 2 versions installed. I had doublechecked the PC versions before running it, and the Mac version I downloaded from DJI homepage just minutes before trying to flash. Anyway, I'm glad it is solved, but it is not good that there are so many issues when flashing, for so many people.
2018-7-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

allanart Posted at 2018-7-19 11:21

Hi Allan

Are you using the Cendence?  I have not seen much feedback regarding the Cendence remote updated to the latest FW yet.

I have not updated anything yet  

Rich
2018-7-21
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-7-21 14:18
Hi Allan

Are you using the Cendence?  I have not seen much feedback regarding the Cendence remote updated to the latest FW yet.

Hi Rich,

I am using the Cendence with UB Crystal Sky, Inspire 2, with both the X5S and X7.  I have not detected any problems so far.  All of my tests have been indoors.  I am learning all about EI mode, DLog, ProRes RAW with Final Cut Pro X.

So far so good.

Ray
2018-7-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2018-7-21 17:29
Hi Rich,

I am using the Cendence with UB Crystal Sky, Inspire 2, with both the X5S and X7.  I have not detected any problems so far.  All of my tests have been indoors.  I am learning all about EI mode, DLog, ProRes RAW with Final Cut Pro X.

Hi Ray

Sounds like you have a lot going on Thanks for the feedback regarding the FW update. I am using the iPad Pro 10.5 with my Cendence remote. But it is good news that you are reporting success. Guess you will need to take it outside and check it out also....

Rich
2018-7-21
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-7-21 19:44
Hi Ray

Sounds like you have a lot going on  Thanks for the feedback regarding the FW update. I am using the iPad Pro 10.5 with my Cendence remote. But it is good news that you are reporting success. Guess you will need to take it outside and check it out also....

See my last message for equipment and software used...

I have found one minor problem.  The Crystal Sky UB records the downlink video with sound from the Crystal Sky microphone.  This is stored in the internal memory of the Crystal Sky.  This recording has glitches in it every 5 to 10 seconds.  The recordings on the Inspire 2 SD card and the SSD are fine.

Cindy, please report this problem to the engineers.

Ray
2018-7-22
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2018-7-22 09:25
See my last message for equipment and software used...

I have found one minor problem.  The Crystal Sky UB records the downlink video with sound from the Crystal Sky microphone.  This is stored in the internal memory of the Crystal Sky.  This recording has glitches in it every 5 to 10 seconds.  The recordings on the Inspire 2 SD card and the SSD are fine.

Hi Ray
Sounds like the CPU is overloaded which is simular to the older iOS device's   DJI adds more hardware  processes or overhead that is managed in the Go App. This could be causing the delay?  

Hopefully DJI will get this sorted out.

Rich
2018-7-22
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>

Can anyone explain to me the AT32 to exFAT.
What exactly is that going to give me and has anyone done this yet and does it just upgrade next time I format the drive?
2018-7-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules