Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Brand new P3 SE. Loses battery telemetry 5 seconds into flight.
1422 15 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

FYI, I have a P3 standard that I have been flying for six months now with no issues at all.So, I bought a brand new P3 SE and on start up and at idle all indications are fine, the battery telemetry readings are fine. After take off and 5 seconds into the flight the battery telemetry indicates "red" all cells empty, "battery critically low". As soon as I land the battery telemetry shows correctly with a full and normal battery. Take off and 5 seconds into the flight it does it again "battery critically low" every time. I have tried 4 different batteries and they all do the same thing. The aircraft will still fly just fine for the full 20-25 minutes but you will have no idea when your battery is going to die. I can fly at close range and watch the battery indicator lights on the back of the battery and all four batteries perform just as they do in my P3 standard. I can't figure out why the battery telemetry keeps giving this false indication 5 seconds into every flight when the aircraft and the batteries are performing just fine. I've tried hard resets and relinking the controller but the problem still exists.... Any sugesstions???
2018-7-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There are 4 spring loaded pins inside the aircraft and they contact 4 gold coloured pads on the battery. These connections are the telemetry beteeen the battery and aircraft. Check they are reliably making contact and are clean.
2018-7-17
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

What do these batteries do in the other aircraft?  This way we can rule out if the problem is with the batteries or the aircraft.
2018-7-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Send it back.  No way this should be happening on a brand new one.
2018-7-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Check that battery terminal just inside the battery compartment on your phantom. As Geebax says, two of those terminals are the main power contacts, but the smaller ones are the battery info contacts. I have seen the terminal plug get loose and wiggle around. Lightly put you finger on it and see if you can move it around at all. If it is loose, the screws must be tightened up, which will require removing the top shell to get to it. Like I said, I have seen 2-phantoms with those screws loose. Just something to check.
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Have you checked the battery settings? You can set there a certain percentage on when you will be notified about the low battery or critical low battery warning.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-7-18 02:15
What do these batteries do in the other aircraft?  This way we can rule out if the problem is with the batteries or the aircraft.

As stated in the original post, (I said four) but all 6 of my batteries operate perfectly fine in my P3 standard.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-18 08:01
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Have you checked the battery settings? You can set there a certain percentage on when you will be notified about the low battery or critical low battery warning. [view_image]

Thanks, tried that. No difference.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-7-18 05:11
Check that battery terminal just inside the battery compartment on your phantom. As Geebax says, two of those terminals are the main power contacts, but the smaller ones are the battery info contacts. I have seen the terminal plug get loose and wiggle around. Lightly put you finger on it and see if you can move it around at all. If it is loose, the screws must be tightened up, which will require removing the top shell to get to it. Like I said, I have seen 2-phantoms with those screws loose. Just something to check.

Thanks, not the problem. It displays telemetry just fine at idle prior to take off and it comes back up upon landing at idle. Only after take off and exactly 5 seconds into the flight all aircraft lights flash red and telemetry drops out until I land then it comes right back on......
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

fans5d395588 Posted at 2018-7-18 08:42
Thanks, tried that. No difference.

I see. Do you have a sample screenshot of what you're seeing on your app?
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

endotherm Posted at 2018-7-18 02:15

The batteries are fine. All six of my batteries have no issues at all in my P3 standard.
2018-7-18
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

fans5d395588 Posted at 2018-7-18 08:41
As stated in the original post, (I said four) but all 6 of my batteries operate perfectly fine in my P3 standard.

That's is also the reason why you have to send your brand new P3SE back for warranty repair !!!  

Regards Leif.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-7-18 03:36
Send it back.  No way this should be happening on a brand new one.

Thanks Captain, I think I'm with on the send it back. I was hoping for an easy fix possibly since I really need this thing for my drone business..... I just hope DJI is reasonable and quick about it.
2018-7-18
Use props
fans5d395588
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-17 21:43
There are 4 spring loaded pins inside the aircraft and they contact 4 gold coloured pads on the battery. These connections are the telemetry beteeen the battery and aircraft. Check they are reliably making contact and are clean.

Thanks, not the problem. New aircraft and all (6) batteries work fine until 5 seconds into the flight and immediately upon landing. It's acting more like a software glitch.
2018-7-18
Use props
RicardoGray
Captain
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

fans5d395588 Posted at 2018-7-18 08:58
Thanks, not the problem. New aircraft and all (6) batteries work fine until 5 seconds into the flight and immediately upon landing. It's acting more like a software glitch.

Sorry you are having problems. Yeah, sending it back if it is still under warranty is a wise decision. Best of luck and hope DJI can turn it around for you quickly. And hope you get you original drone back repaired instead of another refurbished one.
2018-7-18
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I'm assuming this has something to do with something being loose inside the aircraft.  On the ground, the vibrations are dampened and not sufficient to cause a problem.  Once in the air, the vibration is enough to cause the problem to show up.   Could you try idling on the ground without props attached, and revving up to full and see if the problem shows up under full power?  You will get a bunch of error messages because the props aren't there, so you can ignore those for now.  This won't simulate the real load on the motors/airframe without the prop resistance, but it is a start.   Perhaps get someone to hold on to the feet and keep it grounded while you try to lift off with props attached.  KEEP CLEAR OF THE PROPS THOUGH!

Can we confirm that these are genuine DJI batteries or aftermarket?

I wouldn't be accepting a brand new product like this with such a problem, especially as it is under warranty.  I would definitely be returning it for a replacement.
2018-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules