Is the IPad Mini responsible for my crashed Mavic AIR?
1149 29 2018-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sstimeare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41437 ft

WHAT HAPPENED

20hrs of flight time under my belt with the Mavic Air using the iPhone 8plus.  And other than some firmware update issues and erratic behavior a few months ago, it’s been smooth flying, with ZERO isssues.....

UNTIl today.   I bought an iPad mini 2 to use whith my controller for the additional  screen real estate. After installing the app and making sure my iPad setting were the same as my phones DJI GO settings , I did some quick test flights.   I launched from a familiar location right outside my house that I’ve flown a million times before.  Upon turning everything on and launching the app, I got a compass calibration alert.  I tried calibration two times with error messages. On the third attempt it took.  I then was green to go and lifted off.  The drone was fine on itital take off then when I began ascending it suddenly took off to the right and was unresponsive to stick input.  The video transmission cut off and the remote lost connection with the drone.  I frantically hit the pause button on the remote and restarted the app.  Needless to say the drone had fallen from the sky. As I walked around trying to find the drone the video transmission reconnected with the drone and I could see it layout upside down.   I finally found it, in pretty banged up condition. Both the rear landing feet had popped off the propeller mount.  Scratches and dinged on the buddy and front legs, but no major damage to the props or gimble.  The front left leg casing plate that covers the wire and circuit board had popped off as well, and couldn’t be recovered.

I promptly put it back together and turned it all on.  It booted up fine and took off.  I let it hover a few feet off the ground .  It’s motion was a bit erratic, but over all it flew.  Sound wise the motors sound a lot louder like their working harder and they get really hot to the touch a lot quicker than before.  I also noticed that if I put it sports mode it won’t hover and moves on its own.  

That night I recalibrated everything using both the Go app and Assistant 2.  I’ll do some great test flights tomorrow and see how it performs.

THE GIST

The only variable to change was switching to the iPad mini. And I had the button on the left hand side... wich this video that I came across (retro-actively) in which he talks about the ipad’s magnets throwing off the calibration of the sticks on the remote.

https://www.facebook.com/iFixItShop.CigarGuy/videos/1195407727175405/

MY QUESTION

The iPad is one of the DJI approved devices, as well as being endorsed by Apple.  My drones only 2 months old, will DJI repair or replace this drone? Is it covered under warranty?  

2018-7-17
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Mini 2 is barely going to work the app. My Mini 4 struggles with the app at times.

I don't think the app or device is the cause of the crash though. Controller should have had all function.

Contact support and file a support ticket.
2018-7-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear the crash incident, Kindly fill in the online repair request form to start a ticket and send the drone in for a thorough diagnosis, our team will help to check which parts need to be repaired and will take care of it. Please use this link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2018-7-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

I use an iPad mini 2  with no issues and been using it for over an year.
I don't think your crashed was caused by the mini 2.
2018-7-18
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Just FYI, the Mini 2 is no longer on the supported device list for the Go 4 app. Though myself (Mavic Pro) and many others fly without issue using the Mini 2 with Go 4. I have moved to a Mini 4 several months ago as the 2 seemed to be working pretty hard, CPU overload now and then... Your 8 Plus is much more powerful than the Mini 2. When i fly with my iPhone 8 it seems to work a bit better, just not enough real estate. I agree with the general consensus here, I would not think the Mini 2 caused your problem. Maybe some other interference. I would send it to DJI to be checked, especially if there is visible damage.

APP / LIVE VIEW
    iOS Version v4.2.12.
    Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus.

Android Version v4.2.8.
    Android version 4.4.0 or later. Compatible with Samsung S8, Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20.

*Support for additional devices available as testing and development continues.
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the replies everyone.  

The only factor to change was the iPad though.  I’ve never had my drone just take off on me like that... it was exactly like someone grabbed the sticks and jammed them up and to the right ... which fits with the video I posted.  When I put it all back together and did a quick test flight i used my phone and it didn’t randomly take off out of control again like it did before.  

I’ll do some test flights today with the iPad mini and the phone
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

@hyLenz when was it taken off of the list? I can’t believe that an iPad mini 2 with nothing else on it can’t/ or struggles to run the GO app!? I’ll agree that my iPhone 8 probably has a lot more processing power being the newest of the two.  Anyone have experience with Litchi on ipad mini 2?
2018-7-18
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 05:25
@hyLenz when was it taken off of the list? I can’t believe that an iPad mini 2 with nothing else on it can’t/ or struggles to run the GO app!? I’ll agree that my iPhone 8 probably has a lot more processing power being the newest of the two.

Must have been fairly recently, I see the app is now also supposedly optimized for the iPhone 8.

What do your logs say?
2018-7-18
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 05:25
@hyLenz when was it taken off of the list? I can’t believe that an iPad mini 2 with nothing else on it can’t/ or struggles to run the GO app!? I’ll agree that my iPhone 8 probably has a lot more processing power being the newest of the two.

Sometime this year, not sure exactly when. A couple Go 4 updates ago...

There is a substantial power difference between the Mini 2/4 and the iPhone 8. The iPhone 8 and X have a much faster chip, A11@2.5mhz vs the Mini 2 A7@1.3mhz. Mini 4 is A8@1.5mhz. They claim the A11 is 25% faster than the iPhone 7 A10. That will provide a noticeable difference in just about any app you run...
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-7-18 01:42
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear the crash incident, Kindly fill in the online repair request form to start a ticket and send the drone in for a thorough diagnosis, our team will help to check which parts need to be repaired and will take care of it. Please use this link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Thank you for the reply and the link.  The link unfortunately is not working.  I get a "To many redirects" error message.  Is there perhaps another one? or should i just use this....

https://repair.dji.com/repair/process/device

also am I able to confirm this is covered prior to sending it in or will it have to be diagnosed before making that decision?
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-7-18 05:39
Must have been fairly recently, I see the app is now also supposedly optimized for the iPhone 8.

What do your logs say?

I keep trying to access my logs through assistant... but it never populates with the logs.  Can I access them through the SD card or internal memory?
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

here is a screenshot of the Go 4 app on itunes....
it clearly says compatible with ipad mini 2
2018-7-18
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

Well, the video sure is interesting, but itis odd there aren't more reports about this.  While it  certainly could be your issue, I would look at the log and check out the compass as a first guess.  Since you had compass issues to start, even struggling to calibrate it, that's a bit of a red alert right of the bat.  
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 06:19
Thank you for the reply and the link.  The link unfortunately is not working.  I get a "To many redirects" error message.  Is there perhaps another one? or should i just use this....

https://repair.dji.com/repair/process/device

I'm filling  out the form.... this at the end on the submit page, is what concerns me.

DJI might charge a damage assessment fee of 65 dollars per hour if you refuse to repair your aircraft after being quoted.

I just want a confirmation that I wont be charged by DJI because it's covered.
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 07:26
I'm filling  out the form.... this at the end on the submit page, is what concerns me.

DJI might charge a damage assessment fee of 65 dollars per hour if you refuse to repair your aircraft after being quoted.

They will have to diagnose the blackbox logs from the AC before making that decision.  They cannot say before hand.  I would post your logfile here and share the link.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 07:44
They will have to diagnose the blackbox logs from the AC before making that decision.  They cannot say before hand.  I would post your logfile here and share the link.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Thanks Sparksbird,
I had mentioned previously that i'm having a bit of difficulty accessing my log files through assistant. Is there another way to access them?  or grab them directly off of the internal or external hard disk?
2018-7-18
Use props
JEZ2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336204 ft
United States

For the PhantomHelp logs, you'll want to get that off the ipad.  

Follow the great instructions here:

Retrieve IOS Logs
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 07:50
Thanks Sparksbird,
I had mentioned previously that i'm having a bit of difficulty accessing my log files through assistant. Is there another way to access them?  or grab them directly off of the internal or external hard disk?

No need to through assistant do it through iTunes.  Follow this.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/tips/ ... logs-from-itunes.29
Ensure to do from ipad mini 2 as that was the one with the issue flight.
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

I will say this I always put my device in airplane mode.  This ensures absolutely no interference from device to RC.  I notice with my iphone 6 plus if I do not do that I sometimes get disconnects and even tells me there is interference.  I am not saying for sure that is/was the issue but something to look at.  Now as far as your device messing with the compass that is possible and putting in airplane mode will not fix that.  Either way need to look at the logs.
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Does your iPad mini 2 have SIM/Service or WiFi only?
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 07:59
I will say this I always put my device in airplane mode.  This ensures absolutely no interference from device to RC.  I notice with my iphone 6 plus if I do not do that I sometimes get disconnects and even tells me there is interference.  I am not saying for sure that is/was the issue but something to look at.  Now as far as your device messing with the compass that is possible and putting in airplane mode will not fix that.  Either way need to look at the logs.

Yes! I always do this as well.  And that was definitely done on this incident as well.
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 08:02
Does your iPad mini 2 have SIM/Service or WiFi only?

its wifi only
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 09:08
Yes! I always do this as well.  And that was definitely done on this incident as well.

I know others that use the ipad mini 2 without issue so this is strange for sure.  I do not think the device would cause compass calibration issues because they have not reported this and say it works very well.  Were you able to get that log?
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 09:15
I know others that use the ipad mini 2 without issue so this is strange for sure.  I do not think the device would cause compass calibration issues because they have not reported this and say it works very well.  Were you able to get that log?

ya i just downloaded the log files and csv.  What should i upload to here?
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 09:26
ya i just downloaded the log files and csv.  What should i upload to here?

Once you upload the csv file in this link.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

It will give you a link that you can then paste in here.  
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 10:15
Once you upload the csv file in this link.  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

It will give you a link that you can then paste in here.

When I upload the txt files.  It doesn't give me a link, the only option is to download as a KML, CSV or LOG file.
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

1. First Select I am not a robot.
2. Then click browse and select your log file.
3.  Select upload log.  Once complete it will give you a link.  Copy and paste that link here.
phantomhelp.JPG
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

Should just be a single flight record so single txt file.  Make sure it is the right one you upload.
2018-7-18
Use props
sstimeare
lvl.2
United States

Should just be a single flight record so single txt file.  Make sure it is the right one you upload.

thats exactly what i did.  But there's no link anywhere on the page

Here are the direct web addresses, perhaps it'll let you view.

log during eratic flight

Log when laying crashed I believe

flight after the crash

These three are all of the logs on the Ipad.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 2.17.24 PM.png
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
United States

sstimeare Posted at 2018-7-18 11:19
thats exactly what i did.  But there's no link anywhere on the page

Here are the direct web addresses, perhaps it'll let you view.

That is exactly what I was looking for.  The URL links.  Perfect.
2018-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules