IMU failure after lastest firmware update
1907 17 2018-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Just wondering if any one else had an IMU failure after the Firmware v01.04.0400 update?
Had the MP for over a year and this is the first time I got an IMU error.  It wasn't just a bit red. The red line was across the whole indicator.
I did the IMU calibration and all is Normal now.

The only explanation I could think of other then the update was the MP has not been flown for about 10 days because of our Monsoons.

Not complaining just wondering if others had a similar event.

2018-7-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Though an MA pilot myself, it is always a good idea to do a factory reset, and full sensor recalibration on your drone after a firmware update. And I always recommend doing so via your computer and not the connected smart device (OTA update), to ensure proper download and installation of the software.

It's good you performed the IMU calibration after the error, and I guess had little choice given the circumstances.

Some other MP pilots have begun reporting other issues after the latest update. Have you flown your MP since the IMU recalibration, or noticed anything else?

Good luck!
2018-7-18
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

hmm interesting, i have not flown the MP for a couple of days now and i have not updated to the latest firmware yet. i hope this gets resolved before I fly this weekend. i will comment back on how successful i am after i do the update and to comment on flight performance as well.
2018-7-18
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

hmm interesting, i have not flown the MP for a couple of days now and i have not updated to the latest firmware yet. i hope this gets resolved before I fly this weekend. i will comment back on how successful i am after i do the update and to comment on flight performance as well. Cheers!
2018-7-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Thanks for the information. Actually, that's normal after the firmware update. I highly suggest you do all the calibration and re-link your remote controller to your aircraft too. If you have any other concern, please let us know. Thank you.
2018-7-18
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I upgraded to the firmware .0400 same day it came out.  Did not have to calibrate IMU.  Only calibration I did was gimbal and that was due to me just wanting to.  However I would not sweat over it I am sure there are so many factors and am sure upgrading to 400 was one of them and all should be good now that you did calibrate.  I have put about 200 miles on firmware .0400 and all has been great.  
2018-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have done update flown Mavic Pro , no problems, calibration of IMU after a FW update is an urban myth and likewise for your compass, unless you app requires you to. Having checked your values you did the correct thing, but I don’t believe it has anything to do with FW update. IMU only needs calibration if it’s attitude has changed and this is usually why you get prompted, so it a bit of a mystery.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment.
2018-7-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-7-18 10:26
Hi. Thanks for the information. Actually, that's normal after the firmware update. I highly suggest you do all the calibration and re-link your remote controller to your aircraft too. If you have any other concern, please let us know. Thank you.

Thanks Natalia.
Never had to Recalibrate the IMU after a firmware update before. I guess it is a good idea to do it now and again.
Hopefully this time my IMU error was a fluke and just needed to redone.
2018-7-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-7-18 10:53
I have done update flown Mavic Pro , no problems, calibration of IMU after a FW update is an urban myth and likewise for your compass, unless you app requires you to. Having checked your values you did the correct thing, but I don’t believe it has anything to do with FW update. IMU only needs calibration if it’s attitude has changed and this is usually why you get prompted, so it a bit of a mystery.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

And this coming from the guy who actually tries to FORCE pilots into re-calibrating their IMU after a FW update as a matter of course???

Wow...
2018-7-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

FlyingFish82 Posted at 2018-7-18 10:19
hmm interesting, i have not flown the MP for a couple of days now and i have not updated to the latest firmware yet. i hope this gets resolved before I fly this weekend. i will comment back on how successful i am after i do the update and to comment on flight performance as well. Cheers!

FlyingFish.
Problem nothing to threat over. Most of the posts seem to say it probably wasn't caused by the update. The MP just took a hissy fit and required an IMU calibration.
2018-7-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

B1houdini Posted at 2018-7-18 10:57
Thanks Natalia.
Never had to Recalibrate the IMU after a firmware update before. I guess it is a good idea to do it now and again.
Hopefully this time my IMU error was a fluke and just needed to redone.

Most professional pilots will recommend an IMU re-calibration after a firmware update (despite HM007 claiming this is an urban myth), as this is a recommended step with most electronic equipment governed by firmware, and if you've travelled a long distance or to another continent; this is always prudent to make sure your bird is calibrated for the area you intend to fly in.

The only trick with IMU calibrations, is that the surface you do it on must be PERFECTLY level to ensure highest level of accuracy. When I calibrate, I use a completely flat piece of wood or rigid particle board, and then using an X-Y axis bubble level, balance out the surface to true level, and then perform the calibration. This results in an IMU that shows perfect level, and ensures best operation of the AC.

One time I calibrated on a not-so-level surface, and then noticed the MA would lean to one side during hover like the Tower of Pisa in Italy Re-calibrating on a level surface fixed that.

Cheers
2018-7-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 10:52
I upgraded to the firmware .0400 same day it came out.  Did not have to calibrate IMU.  Only calibration I did was gimbal and that was due to me just wanting to.  However I would not sweat over it I am sure there are so many factors and am sure upgrading to 400 was one of them and all should be good now that you did calibrate.  I have put about 200 miles on firmware .0400 and all has been great.

SparksBird.
Thanks for replying.
I waited to after you did the update and checked it out before I updated.
From what I have read on a lot of post that every so often for no apparent reason someone has an unexplained error that they have never had . Even after having their drone for a long time without any problem to report.

I guess it was my turn.
2018-7-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-7-18 11:04
Most professional pilots will recommend an IMU re-calibration after a firmware update (despite HM007 claiming this is an urban myth), as this is a recommended step with most electronic equipment governed by firmware, and if you've travelled a long distance or to another continent; this is always prudent to make sure your bird is calibrated for the area you intend to fly in.

The only trick with IMU calibrations, is that the surface you do it on must be PERFECTLY level to ensure highest level of accuracy. When I calibrate, I use a completely flat piece of wood or rigid particle board, and then using an X-Y axis bubble level, balance out the surface to true level, and then perform the calibration. This results in an IMU that shows perfect level, and ensures best operation of the AC.

Thanks Edison,
To be on the safe side I just checked the table I calibrated on and it was as level as level could be.
I will pay close attention to the MP flight to see if there is any drifting or leaning.

Thanks for reminding me about the level surface.
2018-7-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SparksBird Posted at 2018-7-18 10:52
I upgraded to the firmware .0400 same day it came out.  Did not have to calibrate IMU.  Only calibration I did was gimbal and that was due to me just wanting to.  However I would not sweat over it I am sure there are so many factors and am sure upgrading to 400 was one of them and all should be good now that you did calibrate.  I have put about 200 miles on firmware .0400 and all has been great.

I agree gimbal on Mavic Pro can easily become misaligned.
2018-7-18
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

After my upgrades I have tried to fly one battery first and wait for the messages as Hallmark explained it. I have used mine for almost 2 years now and only calibrated the IMU since I upgraded to .100, 200 and 300.
Compass Calibration I have done twice when I was asked for it, went back and forward between, Sweden, france, Italy, Germany during this time without any apperant  problems.

The reason for calibrating the IMU is that I had a "drifting" problem, slowly moved to the right when trying flying straight. IMU calibration helped but not perfect yet. Have to try this with disabling sensors still cause some other helpful person on this forum sad that would improve the ability to fly straight.

If you do this calibrations do a RC calibration also just to be sure you have eliminated all possible reasons.

Good luck B1houdini and happy flying
2018-7-18
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>

I haven’t had any issues at all and I have the lates update on my MPP.
2018-7-18
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Flybee Posted at 2018-7-18 11:24
After my upgrades I have tried to fly one battery first and wait for the messages as Hallmark explained it. I have used mine for almost 2 years now and only calibrated the IMU since I upgraded to .100, 200 and 300.
Compass Calibration I have done twice when I was asked for it, went back and forward between, Sweden, france, Italy, Germany during this time without any apperant  problems.

Thanks Flybee.
Never ever calibrated the RC . I will do that.
2018-7-18
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

B1houdini Posted at 2018-7-18 11:13
Thanks Edison,
To be on the safe side I just checked the table I calibrated on and it was as level as level could be.
I will pay close attention to the MP flight to see if there is any drifting or leaning.

You're quite welcome, and best of luck to you!
2018-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules