Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: P4P High Capacity Swelling Battery Issue
3701 25 2018-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
creativeTAG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2042566 ft

Dear P4P Users,

I have four (4) P4P High Capacity Batteries, and ALL of them are swelling, after more than 4 months of use.

I have five (5) P4P Regular Capacity Batteries, and ALL of them DOES NOT swell.

If this is a defect, we (customers) should get some kind of replacement.

High capacity batteries can fly longer, say 5-mins longer. But if flying more will cause this HC swell, why even buy the HC.

I called DJI Support, and they suggested NOT to use the swelling battery for safety reasons.

These swelling batteries are now harder to install and uninstall in/out of the battery compartment.

I really appreciate all your input.

Now my HC Batteries are useless! Why would I take a risk using these, the HC battery might even explode up in the air.

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 45 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

64.41% (38)
6.78% (4)
28.81% (17)
0.00% (0)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-7-18
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>

4 regular capacity batteries - 2 years old - no swelling. 4 high capacity batteries - all 1 year old - no swelling.
2018-7-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

What is the point of this poll? If they are less than 6 months old, they are covered by warranty, start a support ticket with DJI.
2018-7-18
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

Geebax Posted at 2018-7-18 16:21
What is the point of this poll? If they are less than 6 months old, they are covered by warranty, start a support ticket with DJI.

The point is, I just want to find out if this is a known problem.

And yes, I am in contact with the DJI Support.

If they will replace my HC with another HC, no thank you. I would rather have REGULAR batteries.

I hope my poll will create awareness. Especially HC or Regular.
2018-7-18
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Send back all your HC swelling batteries every 4 months.  You'll never have to buy another.
2018-7-18
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

Just curious if the OP is following best battery practices?

I am and have never had a problem with my high capacity batteries, all three of them.
2018-7-18
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

iamjustjohn Posted at 2018-7-18 16:40
Just curious if the OP is following best battery practices?

I am and have never had a problem with my high capacity batteries, all three of them.

1st - DJI Support asked me, "How do you store your batteries?"

My Answer: I store them in the casing (2 slots) of the P4P, provided by DJI. And I use the black styrpor (or what ever you call this) that came with the battery and store them in a camera bag.

I land my aircraft when I get the 30% warning.

Again, I want to emphasize, I use HC and Regular batteries equally.

During charging, as soon as I see green light, I unplug them right away. I don't leave them overnight or extended period of time charging.
2018-7-18
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-7-18 16:36
Send back all your HC swelling batteries every 4 months.  You'll never have to buy another.

Thanks for suggesting this.

I am already in contact with DJI Support.

Again, I just want to find out if this is a known issue.

If HC swells, why bother with HCs. I'll be happy with Regular batteries.
2018-7-18
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have 4x HC, 1 is the original  about 18 months old, 1 is about 12 months old, another is about 8 months and the last about 6 months, no swelling form any, but then the UK may have had a different shipment compare to where you are, you could have a bad batch sent to your country, no telling, just get them swapped out, as a side note, for £180 i think the DJI 6 month warranty is pLiss poor to say the least, im not sure how that would stand up in the UK as we have a 12 month statutory on all new goods.........
2018-7-18
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

Bashy Posted at 2018-7-18 20:58
I have 4x HC, 1 is the original  about 18 months old, 1 is about 12 months old, another is about 8 months and the last about 6 months, no swelling form any, but then the UK may have had a different shipment compare to where you are, you could have a bad batch sent to your country, no telling, just get them swapped out, as a side note, for £180 i think the DJI 6 month warranty is pLiss poor to say the least, im not sure how that would stand up in the UK as we have a 12 month statutory on all new goods.........

Thanks for all the replies and feedbacks...

At this early stage, I can already tell my HCs are just defective.

And maybe, just maybe, the Regular batteries are better made.

In this case, I will exchange my HCs with Regular batteries.

Thanks everyone!
2018-7-18
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>

creativeTAG Posted at 2018-7-18 16:50

My Answer: I store them in the casing (2 slots) of the P4P, provided by DJI. And I use the black styrpor (or what ever you call this) that came with the battery and store them in a camera bag.

It may have nothing to do with your issue but I wouldn't store the batteries in the case or the foam they came in.
Remember that unused batteries discharge after a while, at least after 10 days of not using them.
Maybe earlier if you set it in the Go4 app accordingly.

Upon this discharge they get warm and it's better to have them in the open rather than packed in winter clothes ;-)
2018-7-19
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Eric13 Posted at 2018-7-19 09:32
It may have nothing to do with your issue but I wouldn't store the batteries in the case or the foam they came in.
Remember that unused batteries discharge after a while, at least after 10 days of not using them.
Maybe earlier if you set it in the Go4 app accordingly.

I honestly do not believe this would be an issue, mine discharge all the time in my Manfrotto D1 and they only get luke warm at the very most, to be honest, you can hardly tell they are warm, not to mention they get much, much, much hotter in the AC
2018-7-19
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

creativeTAG Posted at 2018-7-18 16:50

"as soon as I see green light, I unplug them right away. I don't leave them overnight"
Please specify, where in the manuals and battery guidelines do you see anything about unplugging at a green light?
My charger has no lights so the only green light i see is the ones on the battery and for sure i don't unplug when they are lid as the battery power off by itself when fully charged = no green light.
Not sure if there has been another charger with a status led, but if so i didn't see anything about that before.

Only have HC batteries, no swelling observed so far.
Run them all the way down now and then and always top up before flight with battery powered on if more than one day since charged.
2018-7-21
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

KedDK Posted at 2018-7-21 15:31
"as soon as I see green light, I unplug them right away. I don't leave them overnight"
Please specify, where in the manuals and battery guidelines do you see anything about unplugging at a green light?
My charger has no lights so the only green light i see is the ones on the battery and for sure i don't unplug when they are lid as the battery power off by itself when fully charged = no green light.

I use a three-battery charger.

As soon as a battery is fully charged, there's an indicator light that turns green.

I haven't read that I have to unplug right away, but when all three battery lights turn green, I unplug and store my batteries away.
2018-7-21
Use props
iamjustjohn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 995600 ft
United States

creativeTAG Posted at 2018-7-21 21:06

As soon as a battery is fully charged, there's an indicator light that turns green.

Out of curiosity are you using the official DJI battery hub or are you using a third party knockoff battery hub?

I only ask because if it’s a third party hub I wonder if the batteries are overcharging causing the swelling issues.
2018-7-21
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

creativeTAG Posted at 2018-7-21 21:06

That explain the grreen light, didn't think of that one. Thanks.
2018-7-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

If using the DJI charging hub, is the firmware up to date on it ?

2018-7-22
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-22 00:57
If using the DJI charging hub, is the firmware up to date on it ?

I am using the original DJI charging hub.

As far as firmware up to date... I always update my aircraft firmware.

BUT... obviously... with this POLL... I can tell, my CH batts are defective.

And from now on... I'd rather have the regular batts. Training myself to be more productive within 20mins and flying less time to get the job done sooner, is good and would also benefit the aircraft to cool down sooner.
2018-7-22
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

creativeTAG Posted at 2018-7-22 10:48
I am using the original DJI charging hub.

As far as firmware up to date... I always update my aircraft firmware.

Correct, and there was a firmware update for the charging hub, perhaps even to accommodate the higher capacity batteries.

Have a look at the manual for charger Here

I believe it is checked using DJI Assistant 2, with the USB on the charger connecting to PC.

2018-7-22
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-22 11:19
Correct, and there was a firmware update for the charging hub, perhaps even to accommodate the higher capacity batteries.

Thanks for all the info!

I will definitely check this out...
2018-7-22
Use props
ATJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-7-22 11:19

Captain I am unable to find a firmware update for the Hub. Do you have any ideas?
2018-8-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

ATJ Posted at 2018-8-5 02:55
Captain I am unable to find a firmware update for the Hub. Do you have any ideas?

Page 5 of the hub charging manual (Post 19) says that any update will be seen and performed using DJI Assistant 2.
This was for the PH4C100 hub, presumably if no update showing in Assistant 2 then it is already up to date.
2018-8-5
Use props
ATJ
First Officer

Aardvark Posted at 2018-8-5 03:42
Page 5 of the hub charging manual (Post 19) says that any update will be seen and performed using DJI Assistant 2.
This was for the PH4C100 hub, presumably if no update showing in Assistant 2 then it is already up to date.

Tried it-No Update Showing-Thanks

Oh by the way charging a Hot battery will make it swell quicker than anything.
2018-8-5
Use props
ATJ
First Officer

ATJ Posted at 2018-8-5 04:50
Tried it-No Update Showing-Thanks

Oh by the way charging a Hot battery will make it swell quicker than anything.

Also I use the Battery Hub to charge all my HC and standard with no problems.

I would never charge a battery when it's at 50% and I leave the batteries in the charger over night some times longer.

I purchase my P4 and batteries 1n January, 2017 and there are showing an 80% capacity?

2018-8-6
Use props
fans24bad126
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

On of my two high capacities is swollen.
2018-9-1
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2

*** UPDATE ***

DJI discontinued the Low Capacity batteries.

I had no choice but to buy the one (1) HC battery, just to try again.

And guess what!? DJI made a HUGE improvement! The new HC battery is newly designed! And it is NO LONGER swelling!

OLD HC batteries are easily swollen. At least from my experience vs Low Capacity batteries.

How did I know it's newly designed? The outside material for one, is different and better. And perhaps the inside has been updated or improved.
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules