New Spark Firmware Release Notes (07/19/2018)
2146005504 2146005504 2018-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Overview:
  • Date: 2018.07.19
  • Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.1000
  • Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0600
  • DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.2.22
  • DJI GO 4 App Android: V 4.2.21

What’s New?
  • Added compatibility to use an OTG cable to connect the Spark remote controller with an Android mobile device.

Notes:
  • Restart the aircraft and remote controller when the update is complete.
  • If the firmware update fails, restart the aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, then try updating again.

2018-7-18
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

will this update create any unusual flyaways
2018-7-19
Use props
martin192
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32661 ft

downloaded it on dji go app. will try to install in a few hours. are there more new thinks or only otg support?
2018-7-19
Use props
13rovers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13766 ft
United Kingdom

martin192 Posted at 2018-7-19 00:51
downloaded it on dji go app. will try to install in a few hours. are there more new thinks or only otg support?

Think that is it!  A little disappointing that we've waited 7 months for just OTG support when past incarnations of Go4 app supported it anyway!
2018-7-19
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394173 ft

My hope is that it will iron out a few bugs which are not officially accounted for by DJI. The take off error for example...and all the connection problems between phone and remote.
2018-7-19
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

The update on my RC failed, followed the instructions and RC got bricked...  Just started a new topic on it:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-157776-1-1.html

DJI what now ? Any software to cure the RC  through PC connection maybe ? Guess i wont be the only one...
2018-7-19
Use props
Johnhi30
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19826 ft
New Zealand

Really DJI, all this just to officially support OTG on Android .?
Surely you can be a little more forthcoming on what the real changes are ?
2018-7-19
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

DDELETED - WRONG THREAD
2018-7-19
Use props
pigolato
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745243 ft

Upgraded with no problems, will test fly later.
2018-7-19
Use props
fans43ad2621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81549 ft
South Africa

Also updated the firmware with Samsung Galaxy S7 successfully. OTG works fine. Will fly later.
2018-7-19
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28058 ft
Greece

Perfect, today i will go climb a mountain and take the spark with me , but i was thinking about it because i had a lot of "connection lost" the other day and a little scared of a potential flyway ! I was even ready to sideload modded apk's and stuff... (connection lost was phone to remote, not remote to rc)
Let's hope this plus otg will solve my issues
2018-7-19
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

Why would I want to update the firmware?
I have an iphone. No changes are mentioned for IOS.
2018-7-19
Use props
Northwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

heliman Posted at 2018-7-19 05:22
Why would I want to update the firmware?
I have an iphone. No changes are mentioned for IOS.

Agreed, whats in it for iOS users?  I am happy for the android crowd though, if its stable.
2018-7-19
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft

Just as warning: https://forum.dji.com/thread-157776-1-1.html

Keep your spark turned on during update of remote control, else you might end having a bricked remote.
2018-7-19
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Updated successfully using DJI assistance. Then rebooted and connected OTG on my Essential Phone Android P. Setting check latest firmware need update. Updated Remote controller to 600. During updating RC beep constantly till it's done. Long time didn't fly Spark lol cos love my MA. I will fly the Spark later.
2018-7-19
Use props
djiuser_4sLt1qLPkkvB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53025 ft
Switzerland

Northwood Posted at 2018-7-19 05:41
Agreed, whats in it for iOS users?  I am happy for the android crowd though, if its stable.

There could be an issue with the new FW
I've been flying the Spark since May and using OTG  once it (unofficially) worked again with the DJI GO App & I have hardly had issues. I’ve used 2 or 3 different OTG cables, with MOTO G4 & Huawei M5 Android devices.
Yesterday I upgraded the DJI App to 4.2.21 and planned to test it today. I then saw the FW upgrades and (foolishly) decided to install them as they ‘officially’ supported OTG.
The first flight started normally it seemed, got to 42m altitude and 99m distance and even triggered an RTH, which I cancelled close to home.
After that and during the following flights I got bad image breakup.  During one flight I couldn't even stop the video recordning. I landed, switched off the AC, then got a warning about lost signal and initiation of RTH.
The location was an open space with a few trees and no buildings. I always had the AC in sight. GPS looked good, satellites (11-15) and signal strength. Wireless was 5Ghz. I also drove a few kilometres to another location but with similar results.
I uploaded the logs to AirData and there are ‘Downlink data connection lost’’ messages for all flights - u to 8s, although I’m certain I didn’t get warnings in the app. I checked a few flights back to mid-June and can’t find any connection errors.
On the final flight I also got a warning on landing: ‘Local footage caching has stopped due to insufficient mobile device storage space. Please free up local storage space and retry.’, although both internal & SD have plenty of space.
Tomorrow I plan to go to a location where I have flown previously to see if there really was a geographical influence.
So, maybe it’s a coincidence so I will make more tests.
Finally, why does the Drone need a FW upgrade for OTG? Surely that’s just RC to Smartphone/Tablet? What else has changed?
Looking forward to feedback and other experiences.

2018-7-19
Use props
Yakboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13100 ft

Just had a little fly with the OTG, all very stable and hopefully will make me a more confident flyer (apart from having 2017 batteries with small clips !! But may start using a battery clip after reading about battery fall outs )
2018-7-19
Use props
Shoonay
lvl.4
Flight distance : 591831 ft
Poland

Upgraded to the new firmware without problems, restarted RC and drone, flew the drone a bit but had to change the bettery quickly cause the update process drained it before.

Started from hand, while waiting for the GPS to link in I flew the drone a few meters back with the controller and than my connection died.

RC was green, the drone hovered in place but my smartphone said Aircraft disconnected.

I backed to the menu, it said RC is not connected, checked the Android menu and the usual USB otg cable indicator was not there - the cable was still connected but it... lost connection?

Unplugged the cable from RC and plugged it back in - nothing. Unplugged the cable from smarthpone and plugged it back in - nothing. Figured restarting the smartphone might help, and, fortunately it did, I was back online.

All this while the drone was hovering in place and I had full control over it with the RC, so no problem here.

Hopefully this won't happen again, not that I'm that experienced but never had this issue since I bought my spark and used it with the smartphone before.
I had a cheap cable that kept dying on me before mid-flight, but all it took was re-plugging it and hold it in place with my finger, never did it act like the cable was not plugged at all.
2018-7-19
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Kuwait

A general guideline to update to the latest firmwares on both SPARK and RC are that the DJI GO4 app has to be latest version  and then carry out  the firmware updates. I successfully updated both the device firmwares simultaneously without any failures !
2018-7-19
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

S.J Posted at 2018-7-19 09:40
A general guideline to update to the latest firmwares on both SPARK and RC are that the DJI GO4 app has to be latest version  and then carry out  the firmware updates. I successfully updated both the device firmwares simultaneously without any failures !

Thank You. Did You check whether the switch from FCC to EC and back still working, by offering selection?
2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Thank you DJI !
2018-7-19
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Kuwait

nixuspix Posted at 2018-7-19 10:42
Thank You. Did You check whether the switch from FCC to EC and back still working, by offering selection?

I am using a mod DJI Go 4 app.  I still see that my RC and SPARK are connected by 5.8GHz on the mobile display which tells me that FCC is still active.
2018-7-19
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
  • >>>
Latvia

S.J Posted at 2018-7-19 10:58
I am using a mod DJI Go 4 app.  I still see that my RC and SPARK are connected by 5.8GHz on the mobile display which tells me that FCC is still active.

Nice one. One more question - if the OTG is now officially supported, does it mean, that You can keep the OTG cable all the time connected to the phone and controller, not like before, when You had to connect the OTG cable to RC at the very last moment? I mean, like in Mavic Air for example?
2018-7-19
Use props
Dirk-Jan Bakker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1673 ft
Netherlands

Also just updated to this latest versions
Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.1000
Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0600
DJI GO 4 App iOS: V 4.2.22
I use an iPhone 6S and just and the update went very well. No issues. OTG cable still works and also with WiFi connection between smartphone and RC seems to be alright.
Will make a test flight later.
I'm also happy because I finally got the advanced photo settings like panorama, grid, 2sec, 4sec shots, etc.
2018-7-19
Use props
JeyTea
lvl.4
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

in don't think that your 5.8 GHz Connection is an indicator of FCC, you have to look for the amount of the available Channels in 2.4 GHz Connection, If there are 11 Channels available then FCC ist still active, If there are 13 Channels available you are unfortunately back to CE.
2018-7-19
Use props
Carmenvail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

I down loaded and tested  today,
after downloading it asked for a compass calibration before taking off. I calibrated the compass, and took her up my yaw seemed a bit touchy and the flight was not as stable as it was with the last calibration....Later i'll try recalibrating and testing her out.
2018-7-19
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

So if I am on IOS and/or do not need OTG, I do not need to upgrade?
2018-7-19
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>

Shoonay Posted at 2018-7-19 08:54
Upgraded to the new firmware without problems, restarted RC and drone, flew the drone a bit but had to change the bettery quickly cause the update process drained it before.

Started from hand, while waiting for the GPS to link in I flew the drone a few meters back with the controller and than my connection died.

I had similar "disconnect" experience after a successful update,(Crystalsky with wifi and Dji otg cable), AC still under control with RC...
2018-7-19
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
  • >>>
Latvia

I confirm no need to pull out and push in OTG cable from RC after this update. It can stay all time in. Nice!
FCC/EC swapping ability remains untouched
2018-7-19
Use props
djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S
lvl.4
Flight distance : 510968 ft
Israel

Funny, my RC version is still 1.00.04, but when I run DJI Go 4 it says it's the latest version...
2018-7-19
Use props
Fatboy Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 794311 ft
Australia

djiuser_Kf4iPA3DtL3S Posted at 2018-7-19 13:36
Funny, my RC version is still 1.00.04, but when I run DJI Go 4 it says it's the latest version...

I have the same thing happening
*Edit* I have just been prompted via Go4 App to download version 1.00.06 so maybe be patient if it doesn't happen immediately. Happened 12 hours after I upgraded AC to new firmware.
2018-7-19
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

Just updated new firmware on both and no issues.flew perfect using iphone 6s and lg stylo 3 plus.
2018-7-19
Use props
Goffy 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135679 ft

Australia

Did the update yesterday with no problem with a little test  flight as it drained my battery and was late at night. i did notice however when the battery reach the 30% mark a low battery Audible warning came through. is this new to the firmware?
2018-7-19
Use props
Ken-Rick Leeflang
New

Netherlands

Goffy 0 Posted at 2018-7-19 17:45
Did the update yesterday with no problem with a little test  flight as it drained my battery and was late at night. i did notice however when the battery reach the 30% mark a low battery Audible warning came through. is this new to the firmware?

You can change it back to 20% in the app
2018-7-19
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Greece

My upgrade process was a little bit hairy...
I was in a hurry to upgrade everything before leaving, so i connected the Drone to my computer, fired up dji assistant and pressed upgrade.
Then while that was going i opened the remote, connected the phone to it. (thinking that phone will upgrade the remote and pc the drone)
When i was prompted that a new update was available for Spark and Remote, i selected the remote and pressed update, but it ignored my selection (possible bug ?) and it started updating the drone ! (It was already at like 50% on the dji assistant).
It got confused because it tried to upgrade the drone but the drone kept restarting (due to upgrade being done from dji assistant).
When i completed the upgrade i closed the drone, an error was displayed, "unable to upgrade shutdown and try again", and i closed and reopened the Remote and it did upgrade only the remote since there was no drone to connect to.

After the upgrade everything functioned normally and i got to a location and connected the otg. But i was keep getting disconnected errors, and i swapped back to WiFi. I think my dongle isn't making a good contact though, not that it's an upgrade issue..
2018-7-19
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4

Shoonay Posted at 2018-7-19 08:54

I had the exact same connection error with the previous firmware version too. So I guess it's not really fixed with the new one :-(

I even had a disconnect on the ground half a meter between AC and RC where my phone said AC disconnected but I had a green light on the RC. What really happened was that the RC stopped broadcasting it's WiFi on all frequencies.

I sometimes think that the problems really come from the RC and not from the Spark and maybe it's not fixable with software updates. That would be a good reason not to admit to those problems.
2018-7-19
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Greece

MartyTravels Posted at 2018-7-19 23:12
I had the exact same connection error with the previous firmware version too. So I guess it's not really fixed with the new one :-(

I even had a disconnect on the ground half a meter between AC and RC where my phone said AC disconnected but I had a green light on the RC. What really happened was that the RC stopped broadcasting it's WiFi on all frequencies.

I was getting disconnections as well, but i think it's my otg adapter being moved around. After reading your reply maybe it's not the adapters fault after all...
2018-7-19
Use props
Ronnie.Choy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1261211 ft
Singapore

Just curious, do you guys use the latest firmware updates with DJI Go 4 version 4.2.22 or your preferred earlier versions like 4.2.15, etc?
2018-7-19
Use props
MartyTravels
lvl.4

Is there any way of downgrading the firmware of the remote at all?
2018-7-19
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Greece

Ronnie.Choy Posted at 2018-7-19 23:23
Just curious, do you guys use the latest firmware updates with DJI Go 4 version 4.2.22 or your preferred earlier versions like 4.2.15, etc?

Latest app version and firmware. It's the only way to get OTG officially.
To be fair people messing with a flying machines software are risking too much, i prefer the official route.
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules