Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Jittery footage with X5S and 45mm
3153 9 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Webevision
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5899970 ft
  • >>>

Hello,

I've just been filming with my I2 and Olympus 45mm and noticed some really unpleasant jitter within the image. Shot in daylight 25p 4K and if memory serves 100th second shutter. I'm using 'Spotlight' to keep the camera on point. (I've also tried shooting in HD and get the same results)

See my Vimeo clip.  -

I'm using a lens hood on the 45, and counter balanced the gimbal to correct for the pull down.  I’ve sinced used the gimbal without the counterbalance and the same effect also happens.  Is this gimbal originated or 'Spotlight'??

You will notice the focus hunt…..note to self, always use manual focus !!

If anyone has some advice I would be very grateful.

Regards

Phil

2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to remount the camera? How about calibrating the gimbal? Did you also try to reset the camera settings?
2018-7-22
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-7-22 05:09
Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to remount the camera? How about calibrating the gimbal? Did you also try to reset the camera settings?

I had a similar result when I flew in a high altitude location, 8000' ground level and I purchased high altitude props. For some reason after a couple of batteries from the third one on I got a very similar result in my video rendering it useless, all I can think, because I haven't been able to confirm it, is that one of the props was not balanced and actually loosened one of the motors slightly in it's mount, I tightened the mount since and I have not had the issue ever again. If you changed props at any point before the issue appeared I would look into that, and maybe, just maybe look closely at the motor mounts for any looseness or vibration, I read there was some sort of issue with the motors going out of alignment csusing either lost props or loose  motors, I don't remember to an extent that someone created a fix for it sort of a stiffening member that keeps the motors aligned.
2018-7-22
Use props
Webevision
Second Officer
  • >>>

Hello Wanda,

As I wasn't getting much feedback here I went through the online customer service who were very helpful, although I'm not sure it’s solved the issue.

They suggested I went through the factory reset via DJI Assistant, which I thought cured the fault as initially it worked okay, drifted a bit but was manageable. I then tried it again and it was really shaking, here's a few links to my clips highlighting the issue.  It obviously doesn't like the 45mm!

Rather annoyingly when you use Spotlight Pro (which I think is great by the way) it goes into auto focus mode and makes the 45mm constantly pump for focus, I don't suppose there's an option to make it set it to manual focus?

I've played with the re-setting of the gimbal while in the air and on the ground and that seems to stop a bit of the vibration but not all, and it still drifts a bit.  I think it’s a combination of being on a tighter lens, which amplifies the shake, and possibly the servos struggling a bit? Overall the problem seems to be a bit intermittent, as you can see by the clips I’ve linked to here.

vimeo.com/281239277 – Massive shakin going on here!

- Strange jello and vibration

I think we sometimes expect too much from this fledgling technology and when we start to push the limits we should probably be a bit more tolerant!!

If you think it’s something else please let me know?

Mixchief – Thanks for that I’ll look into it

Regards

Phil
2018-7-23
Use props
Flo the Pirate
First Officer
Austria

Webevision Posted at 2018-7-23 02:11
Hello Wanda,

As I wasn't getting much feedback here I went through the online customer service who were very helpful, although I'm not sure it’s solved the issue.

switch to manual focus on the lens - there is a ring you push forward and backward to turn focus motors on and off - that could be a workaround.

what video settings are you using ? are you using ND ?

vibrations could come from not properly seated props or something wrong with the camera vibration absorber/the little rubber balls
2018-8-13
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

The jello is reading like some serious vibration being transferred from the craft to the gimbal, or a seriously out of spec gimbal. I've seen a few reports of vibration like this over the last couple of years, but it is not normal behavior for the x5s with the 45, which I've flown with many times. (mine suffers from some very minor "micro-jitters" that don't cause jello and are only visible when viewing the image at 200-400%, and I think this amount is about what you should expect from this lens and this camera)...I'd start a support ticket and get it sorted out.

Oh and you can turn off the AF in the Spotlight Pro Mode ( I think by default it's supposed to be off now, versus 'on' in older versions...not sure if the setting is in the feature menu or the gimbal settings...take a look around for it.

also...FWIW...I tested my micro jitters in and out of Spotlight Pro, and found there was no difference...
2018-8-14
Use props
Webevision
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just when I thought this wasn't a problem anymore! I've since had the I2 sent back to DJI, who stated the 45mm wasn't a recognised DJI lens so can't verify the state of the gimbal!! Anyway rather than get into rant mode I have carried on and kept more or less clear of using the 45mm, accepting the limitations of the Inspire 2.  I'm now getting these micro 'shimmy' - 'wobble' periodically while shooting. It's more noticeable when the camera's pointing down.

So the question I have is has anyone with these issues, or similar,  successfully replaced their gimbal to solve the problem?

Many thanks

Phil

2019-1-29
Use props
Barry Goyette
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14928 ft
  • >>>
United States

You might want to remind the folks at DJI support that the Olympus 45mm IS listed as both a supported and recommended lens right in the DJI marketing and specifications for this camera. There is nothing mechanical or weight driven that would cause the gimbal with this lens to act differently than the other lenses, although the longer focal length would make any problem more visible. I'm sticking by this is either craft vibration or bad gimbal...and if that's right, and you are seeing it consistently, you should be able to see it with the 25 as well, although a reduced effect. Seeing it with DJI's 15mm may be next to impossible due to the short focal length, but again, if you're getting vibrations this strong all the time, you should be able to find an instance where the 15mm is doing it as well.

You might also wan't to try flying without the lens hood...especially the 45mm's hood which is more likely to catch air and transmit stress to the gimbal.

Finally, this lens is obviously at the end of the range of what DJI feels it can hold steady with this gimbal. I've certainly seen some instability with it, and on previous x5 camera iterations, the 45 was only recommend for stills. However, what you are seeing is NOT normal, and indicates a problem that should be covered by the warranty.
2019-3-17
Use props
Webevision
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A final update, I eventually sent the Inspire back again to DJI Holland. I’m always impressed by the speed of this service and the fact they pick up the bill for carriage both ways (while under warranty), especially as I'm in the UK.  
This time they took longer than the 10 day turn around, but this must be because they had to replaced  something major on the drone,  as it's come back wobble and jitter free! They spooked me a little by listing it as a crash repair on the progress page, which it wasn’t. And then a landing gear issue, again which it wasn’t. Either way I thought I may as well wait till it came back to decide whether I needed to throw my toys out of the pram.
Happily it’s all’s more or less good. The 45mm does still drift when not locked down with ‘Spotlight’, so you really have to be on the ball with regular lens calibration. I have also noticed when I shoot directly down, (with the gimbal restricted to not going beyond 90 degrees) it does stutter around a bit. When I changed it to go past 90, it seemed to cope better, so a bit more testing there on my part.

So in conclusion a big thumbs up for DJI, I can now use my 45mm! Although it would have been a lot less stressful if you had fixed it the first time round!

I hope this will be helpful to anyone suffering the same thing....I imagine when Inspire 3 comes out, this will be distant memory!!

Cheers all

Phil

2019-4-15
Use props
AntDX316
Captain
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's the problem when the props are very big.  Any imbalance from them being damaged can cause jello.
2019-4-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules