What does an OTG cable add to my spark?
1602 17 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ransone
New
Netherlands

Will my range expand, is the fpv better or something else?
2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Direct Connection from Remote Controller to the Phone. Better Connectivity than Wifi.

Some say it give Less Video Feed Interference at Longer Range, but for Distance Coverage its more a Debate on CE Mode and FCC Mode which concerns Wifi Power.

In Europe CE Mode, 5.8GHz is not supported and the Power is Mediocre, so many use the OTG to Force a 2.4GHz Connection between Spark and the Remote Controller.

2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry, on our latest firmware we are supporting now the OTG cable, however, it's only available with Android device to provide a stable signal between your RC and phone that cannot easily be interrupted of those wireless interferences.
2018-7-19
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

The range does not depend on the cable. It will not be extended. What can happen is getting a better video feedback so you feel more comfortable to fly farther.
The OTG prevents wi-fi interferences between RC and phone. The connection between RC and AC is always going to be wi-fi. Whether you use OTG or not it wont change.
But since you are in europe, @DMX can help you out with that. I never felt the need to use the 2.4ghz channels. So I'm out of jurisdiction.

2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-7-19 09:48
The range does not depend on the cable. It will not be extended. What can happen is getting a better video feedback so you feel more comfortable to fly farther.
The OTG prevents wi-fi interferences between RC and phone. The connection between RC and AC is always going to be wi-fi. Whether you use OTG or not it wont change.
But since you are in europe, @DMX can help you out with that. I never felt the need to use the 2.4ghz channels. So I'm out of jurisdiction.

Hi Brilhas,

For Range in Malta we are very limited by the Regulations, its only 300m Left or Right Horizontal Distance and 60m Altitude. Keeping always in VLOS.

This Video can help this Guy understand why OTG is Better and Safer to have a Direct Connection between Remote and Phone.

2018-7-19
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

More consistent video feedback and at longer ranges.  No need to fiddle with wifi on your phone or be concerned about wifi interference.  Way faster to get up and going than fiddling with the wifi on your phone.  Love my OTG, one of the best accessories I've bought for Le Spark.  I hated having to screw with the wifi connection, this is much faster and easier.  Flip on the remote, turn on my ipad, turn on the bird, plug in the cable, wait for GPS lock, and away I go, it's great.
2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-19 09:19
Hi, thanks for the inquiry, on our latest firmware we are supporting now the OTG cable, however, it's only available with Android device to provide a stable signal between your RC and phone that cannot easily be interrupted of those wireless interferences.

Thank you DJI Tony for Supporting OTG !

2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-19 11:02
Thank you DJI Tony for Supporting OTG !

You're very much welcome! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you need our assistance.
2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-7-19 11:07
You're very much welcome! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you need our assistance.

Thanks for your Top Class Support - DJI Tony !

2018-7-19
Use props
FergyMcFerguson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40846 ft
United States

Is there currently no support for an OTG cable if I'm using an iOS device?
2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

FergyMcFerguson Posted at 2018-7-19 14:07
Is there currently no support for an OTG cable if I'm using an iOS device?

OTG is Officially Supported with Spark, in the Latest DJI Go4 App.
2018-7-20
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28058 ft
Greece

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-20 00:45
OTG is Officially Supported with Spark, in the Latest DJI Go4 App.

Indeed, but not in iOS. So no OTG on iOS... not yet
2018-7-20
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ssakellaro Posted at 2018-7-20 01:09
Indeed, but not in iOS. So no OTG on iOS... not yet

Did IOS have any issues using OTG before ? I never heard any major problems.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-157768-1-1.html

The Added Support to OTG was confirmed for Android. It has been like this every now and then, v4.1.15 Supported OTG on Android, then removed, v4.2.12 Supported OTG on Android, then there where some bugs, now v4.2.21 Supports OTG for Android again... And the Story goes on and on. So for Android best is to stick with a Version like v.4.1.15 or v4.2.12, see if this latest version has bugs then Upgrade accordingly.

2018-7-20
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Greece

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-20 01:22
Did IOS have any issues using OTG before ? I never heard any major problems.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-157768-1-1.html

i don't know if it has problems, i use android with latest firmwre+ app so i have the official otg support.  I'm just saying that officially it's not suported on iOS at this moment
2018-7-20
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ssakellaro Posted at 2018-7-20 01:29
i don't know if it has problems, i use android with latest firmwre+ app so i have the official otg support.  I'm just saying that officially it's not suported on iOS at this moment

Never heard of Problems with OTG on IOS.

I bought an IPhone 7+ specifically for the Drones. Nothing else.

Many Users with Bigger Drones use IOS, as its more stable than Android. I have a Samsung S8+ too but won't be using it for DJI Apps.

Last week connected my Little Tello with the IPhone 7+ and its Works Flawless even without Remote.

I won't go in a Debate between IOS and Android, but certainly I bought an IPhone as DJI support IOS more than Android in my opinion, you can see DJI Equipment sold in the Official Apple Stores. In Malta we don't have an Apple Store, but friends confirmed me about this in different EU Countries.

Also Android is a Big Headache for DJI Programmers as there are so many Different Phones + Variants of the OS, that its impossible not to have Bugs. Thats why DJI suggest to use the Phones they have Tested.

With IOS its far easier for Programmers, as there is only 1 Brand using same the Inhouse Tailor Made OS. Which is Apple.

2018-7-20
Use props
ssakellaro
lvl.3
Greece

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-20 01:49
Never heard of Problems with OTG on IOS.

I bought an IPhone 7+ specifically for the Drones. Nothing else.

Hmm Galaxy S8 is in the list of the tested phones, maybe you can try both and compare?
Interesting though, didn't know apple is better supported, maybe i will get a iphone 8 for flight device. thanks for the info !
2018-7-20
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

ssakellaro Posted at 2018-7-20 02:07
Hmm Galaxy S8 is in the list of the tested phones, maybe you can try both and compare?
Interesting though, didn't know apple is better supported, maybe i will get a iphone 8 for flight device. thanks for the info !

My Pleasure Dear Ssakellaro.

I bought the IPhone after talking to a lot of Pilots here, and they encouraged me to go for IOS as its very stable.

I bought the IPhone 7+ not the IPhone 8+ as the Main Difference was the CPU, regarding Ram and other main features they are almost Identical. The IPhone 7+ had a lower price so I went for it.

2018-7-20
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

I use iOS for my flying with OTG, never a problem.  
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules