Q's about drone legalily when on vacation
416 4 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xMr
lvl.1

United States

Hi I just bought my Spark yesterday and one of the biggest selling points to me was that I could take it on small trips like my one to Atlantic City in about 1 month. I looked on multiple apps and there are like 7 airports and helipads. Is it possible to contact just one and they can update airspace info or do I still have to manually call all of them just to fly my drone at the boardwalk for a few minutes time? I am trying to follow as many rules as possible but this is just getting rediculous. I already have the drone registered under hobby/recreational and am getting a label printed out today as to help with not getting in trouble. Any tips for calling these places would be appreciated(as in what to say, etc.)
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi. Welcome to DJI Forum. Thank you for this inquiry. I will be posting a DJI link for you to check the areas where you can fly your Drone in a specific location. You can also disable the No Fly Zone restriction of your Drone temporarily by using this link. I hope this can help you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=nav
2018-7-20
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>

5 things - Distance, direction, altitude, time & duration

Distance from the airport/ helipad
Direction from the airport/ helipad
Altitude you intend to fly at (400 AGL)
Time to lift off (take in account calling 3 or more places AND being placed on hold)
Duration - when are you going to be done.

Use their lingo whenever you can

Example,  AGL = Above Ground Level

Research the airport and find out directions of runways & numbers - call them out.

An example would be "I am calling to notify the manager/ tower that I will be makig a drone flight as a hobbyist"
4 miles due east of runway 25R
200ft AGL
Takeoff in approximately 30 minutes
Flight area not required after 1630

2018-7-20
Use props
Yukon 3-0268
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1148 ft
United States

I use Airmap and have looked at any possible sites I might be flying.
We'll be at the beach in August and just to alleviate some anxiety I called the airport within five miles of where I'll be.(Grand Strand Airport).
The person who answered transferred me to the FAA guy at Myrtle Beach Intl. who said he had no jurisdiction over Grand Strand so he gave the number for the tower at GS.
I called that number and the man said that I would have to call every time I flew except before they opened in the morning. He was very nice and informative.
He told me of some possible restrictions e.g. <200 ft. because of planes towing banners.
I have the number saved in my phone.

2018-7-21
Use props
fans812df717
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1092280 ft
United States

In general, NJ sucks big time to fly drones. Besides having a multiple of airports, helipads, seaplane ports and TFR’s, be aware that there are also some local rules to be observed. Check each town you are flying in, sometimes it is hard to find all information that is needed. Also be aware that you cannot fly in National Parks and you cannot fly in NJ State parks. Good luck!
2018-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules