Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Canola Bloom
1234Next >
8472 134 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

For a couple of weeks every summer, the prairies turn a golden yellow when the canola crops bloom. Seemed like a good subject for a flying camera.

Constructive criticism encouraged. On the technical side, when I play it on my computer, I get a lot of stuttering in one player and a rolling jello effect in another. I'd especially like to know if that is appearing on other monitors or phones.

Thanks.

2018-7-19
Use props
DMX_MT
Captain
Malta

1min14 is really nice ! 1min55 Best Perspective of the Cabin ! Welldone Mr. Prarie Chicken !
2018-7-19
Use props
Carmenvail
First Officer
Flight distance : 1521201 ft
United States

really nice video, great color....check out the one that I just posted last night..
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-7-19 10:44
1min14 is really nice ! 1min55 Best Perspective of the Cabin ! Welldone Mr. Prarie Chicken !

Thanks, Mr. DMX_MT! My favourite of the shots is the 1:14 also.
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Carmenvail Posted at 2018-7-19 10:44
really nice video, great color....check out the one that I just posted last night..

Thanks, Carmenvail. All shot in manual exposure. I try to hit the sweet spot between over- and under-exposure that maximizes the colours, but it can be difficult on a sunny day when it's hard to see the screen properly. I think that's partly why the yellows don't match up across all the shots. Colour grading would probably help but I don't have that capability yet.

Off to check out yours now.
2018-7-19
Use props
mhw#209
Second Officer
Flight distance : 96319 ft
United States

Love the colors, great vid!
2018-7-19
Use props
Northwood
Captain
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I am glad they changed the name to Canola from Rape Seed.  (fact!).  Your composition is lovely, but I do see some of the effects you were concerned about.  What are you using as an NLE (editor) ?  I am thinking that when you rendered this the bitrate was lower than it could be... which is stealing quality.  

You might want to fiddle with that, loved it all the same mr. chicken....
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Northwood Posted at 2018-7-19 18:14
I am glad they changed the name to Canola from Rape Seed.  (fact!).  Your composition is lovely, but I do see some of the effects you were concerned about.  What are you using as an NLE (editor) ?  I am thinking that when you rendered this the bitrate was lower than it could be... which is stealing quality.  

You might want to fiddle with that, loved it all the same mr. chicken....

Thank you, Mr. Wood.

Thanks especially for the advice on editors. You're probably right. I have a relatively cheap program that doesn't give many options. The better editors all seem to need a 64-bit machine which I don't have yet. I just installed the free version of Shotcut but it warns me that Spark's footage is variable bitrate and wants to convert it, and that takes a lo-o-o-ng time. But a new computer is in the works soon so I hope that will settle it.

There's actually some difference between rape and canola. I think animals can eat canola byproducts but not rape's. One farming community here billed itself as "The Land of Rape and Honey", which ruffled a few feathers for a while but they didn't change it to "canola and honey". Doesn't have the same ring, I guess.
2018-7-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice video!
2018-7-19
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Thanks, Montfrooij.

One shot that this video begged for, and would have made it more complete, was a slow glide just skimming over the tops of the flowers, but Spark got blown around by the wind too much every time I tried. Next year...
2018-7-19
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
United States

nice video and nice subject!

on the stuttering part, yes, there is present on the monitor i played the video. did you tried to slow down the footage? i think that is the problem for the stuttering issue.
2018-7-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very vivid colours
2018-7-20
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

very nice  
2018-7-20
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

You took great care at capturing & creating this
Very smooth and transitions are great too!
2018-7-20
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Great video from beautiful surroundings - well done.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

dj_dread Posted at 2018-7-20 00:45
nice video and nice subject!

on the stuttering part, yes, there is present on the monitor i played the video. did you tried to slow down the footage? i think that is the problem for the stuttering issue.

Thanks for that, dj_dread. I've tried slowing other footage down but it mostly produced a jerky effect that was worse than the stuttering. I'm hoping a new computer and editor in the near future will solve it.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

pmshop Posted at 2018-7-20 03:59
You took great care at capturing & creating this
Very smooth and transitions are great too!

Thanks for picking up on that, pmshop. Good to hear.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

And thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated.
2018-7-20
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Wow!
Astonishing colours.
Amazing location!
Great video! Really enjoyed watching it.
Thanks for sharing!
2018-7-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-20 08:19
And thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. Much appreciated.

You're welcome   
2018-7-20
Use props
dj_dread
Captain
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-20 07:32
Thanks for that, dj_dread. I've tried slowing other footage down but it mostly produced a jerky effect that was worse than the stuttering. I'm hoping a new computer and editor in the near future will solve it.

it's not about the computing power. it may be the software but i'm afraid you may not reduce that effect too much.
here is how it works:
you recorded it in 30 fps. you created your video in the editor at 24 fps. slowing down the footage more than 20-30% will make the editor thinks what frames to add to the original footage in order to compensate the missing frames. that's why the stutter. Premiere Pro has an option to compensate that by it's not always working right.
i would suggest recording in Tripod mode, that will slow down the drone, then slow down in post for 20-30% and add the optical flow in Premiere Pro.
if that doesn't make sense ping me and i'll explain it with some examples that i am working on
2018-7-20
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft
United States

Great video! Smooth flying. I especially like the orbit around the cabin. Did you do that manually or use active track. I haven't been able to manage a an orbit that I'm happy with. I'm your 13th subscriber on youtube.
2018-7-20
Use props
Adamparker
New

India

I watch this video and read the post also with the comment this is really very nice post and click also. keep posting this types of post. I also see some interesting video on windows Defender customer service if anyone is interested to know this they can visit this site.
2018-7-20
Use props
maddox
Captain

Great job  
2018-7-20
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Very nice video with a very unique background and music!
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

dj_dread Posted at 2018-7-20 13:29
it's not about the computing power. it may be the software but i'm afraid you may not reduce that effect too much.
here is how it works:
you recorded it in 30 fps. you created your video in the editor at 24 fps. slowing down the footage more than 20-30% will make the editor thinks what frames to add to the original footage in order to compensate the missing frames. that's why the stutter. Premiere Pro has an option to compensate that by it's not always working right.

Thanks for offering advice and help, but I actually edited at 30 fps. The editor I have is Pinnacle Studio 15 HD, a pro-sumer level program. I'm not a technical guy so I don't know the specs, but next time I open it (it's on another PC), I'm going to check the bit rate that it outputs at. I have a suspicion it will be lower than it should be as Northwood suggested.

I hope this will all be moot when I get a new computer and good editor soon, if there's a God. I can't wait to try my hand at colour grading.

Thanks again for the offer of help. This is an awesome forum.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

unhommelibre Posted at 2018-7-20 13:54
Great video! Smooth flying. I especially like the orbit around the cabin. Did you do that manually or use active track. I haven't been able to manage a an orbit that I'm happy with. I'm your 13th subscriber on youtube.

Thank you. What a coincidence, I'm a free man, too, bro.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but I haven't tried any of the quickshot modes yet. All the flying I've done so far has been manually. I want to be able to do some complex stuff that quickshots can't do so I'm still training. That was the second orbit that I've tried. The first was a mess. On this one, I went further around but couldn't keep it smooth enough all the way, and it wasn't centred as well as I'd like. Still have a lot of practice to do.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Thanks, mate.
2018-7-20
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

dronto Posted at 2018-7-20 18:08
Very nice video with a very unique background and music!

Thanks. That "unique background" is mostly looked down on by the rest of the country as flat and boring. Little do they know...

And a special thank you for commenting on the music. It was composed by someone very close to me--my son. Having a musical genius in the family definitely has its benefits.
2018-7-20
Use props
62+
Captain
Flight distance : 1321991 ft
South Africa

Great footage
2018-7-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-7-21
Use props
unhommelibre
First Officer
Flight distance : 109268 ft

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-20 21:47
Thank you. What a coincidence, I'm a free man, too, bro.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say this, but I haven't tried any of the quickshot modes yet. All the flying I've done so far has been manually. I want to be able to do some complex stuff that quickshots can't do so I'm still training. That was the second orbit that I've tried. The first was a mess. On this one, I went further around but couldn't keep it smooth enough all the way, and it wasn't centred as well as I'd like. Still have a lot of practice to do.

Maybe we're related.
2018-7-21
Use props
dronto
Captain
Singapore

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-20 21:55
Thanks. That "unique background" is mostly looked down on by the rest of the country as flat and boring. Little do they know...

And a special thank you for commenting on the music. It was composed by someone very close to me--my son. Having a musical genius in the family definitely has its benefits.

Truly a beautiful video and very cool music you made.

Indeed it’s good to have musical genius in the family

Happy Droning
2018-7-21
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Thanks!   
2018-7-21
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

I see that you used spaces to reach the 10-character minimum for posts. I used periods and made them white.
2018-7-21
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Captain
Canada

Well, we're both in the family of drone pilots...
2018-7-21
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Captain
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Looking  good ...just a little  stutter maybe using an ND filter would help ? otherwise
2018-7-21
Use props
DPJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 21686 ft
United Kingdom

Simply beautiful <3
2018-7-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Prairie Chicken Posted at 2018-7-21 06:54
I see that you used spaces to reach the 10-character minimum for posts. I used periods and made them white.

I only state what needs to be said
2018-7-21
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules