Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SO Cal
778 15 2018-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TX99517
Second Officer
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>

Traveling to Malibu/La area soon. Debating on bringing drone. Only going to be a few days and mainly staying in Anaheim in the middle of Disney NFZ. Looking for resources in that area to see where can/can’t fly and help make decision on to bring or leave.
Thanks
2018-7-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi. Thanks for reaching out DJI Forum. I highly recommend you to fly your drone in a wide field area with no magnetic interference and trees around to avoid any issue. You can also check this link for you to see what location is on restricted/warning zone. https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map. Please fly with caution. If you have any technical question, please let us know. Thank you!
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Just check here to see where DJI will let you fly, https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-7-19
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-19 15:22
Just check here to see where DJI will let you fly, https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Did that, but was wondering about local ordinaces and such.  Thanks
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

TX99517 Posted at 2018-7-19 15:35
Did that, but was wondering about local ordinaces and such.  Thanks

Sorry can't help you there I'm on the "other" coast.
2018-7-19
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-19 15:38
Sorry can't help you there I'm on the "other" coast.

No worries.
2018-7-19
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I lived in Anaheim back in 2004 and prior so just guessing i would say you'll be luck to get it off the ground unless you apply for a waiver or 2 from the FAA using your FAA Part 107 certification. Reason? Disney Land, Orange County Airport etc. I hope i am wrong as i did not look at any TFR's etc. Do your homework or leave it at home.
If you are FAA Part 107 certified then i wasted my time.........
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-19 15:57
I lived in Anaheim back in 2004 and prior so just guessing i would say you'll be luck to get it off the ground unless you apply for a waiver or 2 from the FAA using your FAA Part 107 certification. Reason? Disney Land, Orange County Airport etc. I hope i am wrong as i did not look at any TFR's etc. Do your homework or leave it at home.

Even then waivers usually are a 60-90 day wait once applied for
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
United States

I would bring it, you may not be able to fly it locally but it can't hurt. Better to have than to have not!
2018-7-19
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

Hi TX!

Welcome to Commiefornia, even if it's for a few days. =D
Check out The Drone Girl's write-up of where to fly in Orange County, since it's basically what I was going to write anyway.

TL;DR version is that if you're flying recreationally, respectfully and legally, then anywhere west of Irvine and before you hit Camp Pendleton is good. =)
2018-7-19
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-7-19 16:47
Hi TX!

Thanks much.
2018-7-19
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-7-19 15:57

Ateady knew that whole area is off limits.  Am gonna be in Malibu area for a day as well.
2018-7-19
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ChaosKnign Posted at 2018-7-19 16:47
Hi TX!

I looked her site.  The link to the US Air Space map lists the Malibu area a NPS and red.  It's state parks and do they have the same prohibitions in California?
2018-7-19
Use props
FlyingFish82
Captain
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have traveled to Southern Cal and have flown there too. my suggestion to you is to stick to the DJI App  and follow with the no fly zones. avoid flying over people as much as you can and stay away from State Parks. There are some Beach parks which allow you to fl. My experience with the general public there was good, but i wasn't flying close to people most of the time. I only went as far north as Santa Monica though, did not get to go to Malibu. Check out some of my videos from Southern Cali if you want on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/smore005/
2018-7-20
Use props
ChaosKnign
Second Officer
Flight distance : 402877 ft

TX99517 Posted at 2018-7-19 19:21
I looked her site.  The link to the US Air Space map lists the Malibu area a NPS and red.  It's state parks and do they have the same prohibitions in California?

It's illegal to fly in State Parks as FlyingFish has stated as well as Nature P/reserves.

The Santa Monica Mountains which encompasses Malibu is off-limits, but it's Compendium says you can get permission from the "superintentent". Not sure how quickly that person or department turns around requests. There's also mention of the Paramount Ranch North Race Track Loop being OK as well. Didn't find anything about this doing a quick search.
Extracted from the Compendium:
Unmanned Aircraft: Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent. The Paramount Ranch North Race Track Loop has been designated as an approved area for unmanned aircraft based on a historic use pattern. All users of unmanned aircraft must comply with FAA Regulations (Refer to and comply with FAA Advisory Circular 91-57A). Use of this area must be closed at any time due to fire danger or necessary control of airspace.
2018-7-20
Use props
TX99517
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I’m thinking I may leave it home for this trip. Seem super restrictive and we just don’t have time to travel to fly it.

Thanks for the information though.
2018-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules