Mavic Pro Platinum - interactions with nature?
1313 10 2018-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

When flying my Mavic Pro Platinum out over our local area of heath land, I noticed when I was bringing it back to home-base that it had a number (approx 12) large bees following it from behind. As a I didn't want any trouble with these bees I flew the MPP vertically up about 50 metres but the bees followed it up. So I then proceeded to jink the craft left and right a bit to 'shake' them off. What would cause bees to be interested in the MPP? I'm wondering if it was the pitch and hum of the blades that had attracted them - even that these were in fact real drone bees and they had latched onto the sound and shape of the craft 'thinking' it was a super queen bee ....! In which case my flight ativities would have played into that to a certain extent, mimicing the flight pattern a queen bee makes when attracting drone bees for a mate - basicaly rising vertically fast and desending - only the strongest fliers will make it.
Anyone else had similar or other intersting interactions with nature?
2018-7-20
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Interesting...................
2018-7-20
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

wow nice sharing
2018-7-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, about a million flying ants the other evening which exploded in the props leaving one hell of a mess all over my MA.
2018-7-20
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will answer your question seriously.  There are several Carpenter Bees living around the trees by my house.  They spend most of the afternoon chasing off any flying (or walking) creature that comes to close to their tree.  Whenever I launch from my back yard I find it fun to make a pass by their trees and watch them pursue whatever I'm flying that day.  They tend to give chase and lose interest after 100 or so feet in any direction.  Entomology is sort of a hobby for me, so any interaction is always a bonus.  
2018-7-20
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Here in Florida dragonflies seem to pay particular interest in my MP with the 8331 props.
2018-7-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hello. That's great to hear that nature is interacting with your drone thank you for that information. However, I still highly recommend you to fly your drone without any interference to avoid any issue. If you have any technical issue, please let us know so we can help. Thank you!
2018-7-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

... further to my main post - I had a similar experience today - here's a hastily grabbed shot - (the main group buzzed off just before hand, presumably as the MPP was in a stable hover, which then fell outside their 'attraction/threat parameters). MPP plus insects
2018-7-24
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

This is very interesting. Obviously, the bees must think the drone is either a friend or foe, and are investigating accordingly.
2018-7-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

You remind me my first flight Jun 2017, we went on a football field (with my daughter) and try the new toy (Mavic pro) and half the flight were chased by a flock of bees and during landing even kill some of them (first flight lack of experience sorry)
But this Never happened again since then - go figure
2018-7-24
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

MA is attracting bugs especially large bee. I can see them coming around the drone. Possibly because MA sounds like a giant angry bee.
2018-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules