Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CSC Stopping motors while descending P3 ?
5548 32 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pepijnaben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1383189 ft
Netherlands

Hi Flying friends,

I was wondering when I am descending the P3 and hold the left stick maximum down.. will this initiate the CSC to stop the motors and fall from the sky ?CSC means Combination Stick Command. So in theory holding the left stick down is not a combination. But this turns off the motors off for shure on the ground.
The P3 will normaly decend slowly. About 3 m.ps. Because this is regulated by the P3 itself. I can imagine (or at least I feel) like holding the left stick completely down while decending.

Does somebody know more ?

2015-5-22
Use props
jabokennel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 251142 ft
United States

It will NOT shut the motor off. As long as the unit is in motion, it will not shut down. It will only shut down when movement of unit stops.
2015-5-22
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

When holding the left stick in the full down position, the motors will not shut down until the Phantom stops descending.

It's not a good idea to descend that quickly. You could end up in VRS.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-22
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

No, it won't.
2015-5-22
Use props
pepijnaben
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1383189 ft
Netherlands

jabokennel Posted at 2015-5-22 18:27
It will NOT shut the motor off. As long as the unit is in motion, it will not shut down. It will onl ...

Thank you for the answer. This is good to hear.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I fully understand the confusion. I remember being afraid of it too on the P2V+.

We are still able to shut off the motors midair by doing a CSC which is completely crazy and people will be doing that unintentional, even though you need to be trying a very very abnormal maneuver to put the sticks in CSC position - but it is still possible to do it.

DJI ought to make it a LOT more difficult turning off the motors while the quadcopter is in flight. It is nice being able to do it. But it should not be possible to do it by accident.

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
tony27nine.yaho
New

Turkey

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-22 22:55
I fully understand the confusion. I remember being afraid of it too on the P2V+.

We are still able  ...

Completely agree. I think that there should be a third button to combine with the CSC before the motor s are stopped or, better still, CSC to stop motors inhibited whilst the craft has any movement or altitude. This could be via the ultrasonics or other sensors.
I recently lost my drone into the sea. I'd had many 20+ successful flights and on return the drone literally shut down and dropped into the sea - total loss. I cannot understand how it could have happened other than I inadvertently initiated shut down via CSC. Given the quad was at a height of 40m this should never have been possible.
2015-6-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"I cannot understand how it could have happened other than I inadvertently initiated shut down via CSC. Given the quad was at a height of 40m this should never have been possible."
In normal flight you couldn't inadvertently initiate shut down via CSC.
If you were flying crazy downward corkscrewing at full speed it may be possible but people just don't fly like that without knowing they do.
Were you flying normally or like a maniac?
2015-6-9
Use props
tony27nine.yaho
New

Turkey

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2015-6-9 17:12
"I cannot understand how it could have happened other than I inadvertently initiated shut down via  ...

I really don't fly like a maniac! I'm very careful. I'd just done 10 minutes tracking a water skier, turned for home and was flying towards the beach gaining a little altitude to capture a little of the resort on the same file as I was going to give this to the skier.
I was flying FPV using goggles. The first I was aware of a problem the video feed ended. As I would normally do I quickly checked I was in gps mode and let go of the sticks then initiated RTH. By this time I was told the quad was in the sea. When I retrieved it, the battery and quad were separated. Now it takes a hell of a lot to get the battery out of my P2. I did consider that I hadn't latched it in properly to start and it had fallen out however this seems very unlikely. I probably wouldn't have got it to fly if the battery wasn't in to begin with. I'm at a loss as to why it suddenly had no power at all other than a CSC shutdown. I really would prefer for the CSC to be more than just stick initiated.
2015-6-9
Use props
col.lloyd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286637 ft
United Kingdom

Ok, so for a CSC shutdown, you need to be at full descent and rotating one way and flying backwards and laterally in the other direction. Flying towards the beach and gaining a little altitude, is not going to cause this!
2015-6-9
Use props
tony27nine.yaho
New

Turkey

col.lloyd@mac.c Posted at 2015-6-9 17:31
Ok, so for a CSC shutdown, you need to be at full descent and rotating one way and flying backwards  ...

I know. Thing is, what else could a complete shut down be due to?
Just to set the right tone. I'm 50 years old and have been flying model planes, quad copters etc for longer than many and since long before DJI was even thought of. When I want to be a lunatic I take out a Funjet. The P2 setup is purely for aerial videography.

It's a problem I'd like to resolve. How does the quad suffer a complete video and rotor shutdown in normal flight. The ONLY explanation I can come up with is CSC though I'm fairly sure I didn't move the sticks to do this. My point here is that the P2 manual states "pulling the sticks down and to the centre together WILL shut the quad down and this will cause it to crash if done during flight" or something similar. Why would it even allow this? I can't think of a single instance when anyone in their right mind would want the quad to drop from the sky. The technology is already in the drone to inhibit this so why don't they. Just saying.....
2015-6-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"The ONLY explanation I can come up with is CSC though I'm fairly sure I didn't move the sticks to do this. "

I'm confused ... you say you were not pulling extreme manoeuvres  ..  but you seem convinced that you've initiated CSC.
It's one OR the other.  You can't have both.
If you were pulling crazy moves, you'd know it.
CSC doesn't happen accidentally in normal flying.
If it did Phantoms would be falling from the sky on a daily basis - and they aren't.
Failure of one of the many electronic components inside the Phantom could cause it to shut down.

"My point here is that the P2 manual states "pulling the sticks down and to the centre together WILL shut the quad down and this will cause it to crash if done during flight" or something similar. Why would it even allow this? I can't think of a single instance when anyone in their right mind would want the quad to drop from the sky. The technology is already in the drone to inhibit this so why don't they. Just saying....."

This is brought up by new Phantom owners all the time.
It would be an extremely rare event that required cutting the motors in flight.
But with a set of spinning props on a Phantom on the ground near you, children, pets etc  or just stuck in a tree - you are going to need a reliable way to shut off the motors right away.
That's what CSC is for - an effective emergency stop mechanism for when you need it.
2015-6-9
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

You have to descend faster than 3 meters per second to be at risk for VRS.. 5+ at least and as long as your moving horizontally you can come down as fast as you want without being at risk of VRS...  Just so you all know
2015-6-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Mark97564 Posted at 2015-6-10 02:10
You have to descend faster than 3 meters per second to be at risk for VRS.. 5+ at least and as long  ...

Yeah, I don't think I've heard of any examples of Vortex Ring Syndrome on DJI Phantoms after DJI lowered the maximum descend speed.

The 2 m/s was a bit slow on the P2V+ though. The 3 m/s on the P3 is just right in my opinion.
2015-6-12
Use props
bag1
lvl.1
United States

I'm still mortified to descend at more than 66%...  you SWEAR it won't shut the motors off?
2015-8-8
Use props
bag1
lvl.1
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-22 22:55

We are still able  ...

I understand the need have a kill switch, sometimes the best option is to kill the props to reduce the damage when a crash is imminent, especially if there's people.  I still can't bring myself to pull down on the left stick all the way.  Im just going to have to man up and do it..
2015-8-8
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

bag1 Posted at 2015-8-9 03:25
I understand the need have a kill switch, sometimes the best option is to kill the props to reduce ...

I thought i was the only one who had this fear, and some people went up my panties and called me names for trying to find out.
2015-8-8
Use props
bag1
lvl.1
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-9 03:34
I thought i was the only one who had this fear, and some people went up my panties and called me n ...

Oh yeah me too.  I haven't really felt the need to participate in any forums since before I left AOL two decades ago... glad to see nothings changed.
2015-8-8
Use props
Superfantastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

We all have to start somewhere and when I started with my drone I remember having the same thoughts , we are all on here to help each other.
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

tony27nine.yaho Posted at 2015-6-9 17:21
I really don't fly like a maniac! I'm very careful. I'd just done 10 minutes tracking a water skie ...

If you lost video prior to it hitting the water it wasn't CSC. You had another failure of some type. CSC doesn't kill all power, it just disarms the motors.
2015-8-8
Use props
jaronpv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 723776 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-8 18:29
If you lost video prior to it hitting the water it wasn't CSC. You had another failure of some typ ...

Exactly!  Point proven
2015-9-10
Use props
tony.mcdonough
New

Australia

Hi, recently my DJI phantom 3 fell from 70 meters up because the motors cut out mid flight, after filling out an accident report and sending the flight records to dji, they told me it's my fault due to a CSC shut down, I was of the understanding it wouldn't do it while descending! but it can, I believe this is a serious safety issue and a aircraft fault, anyone else agree?  Here is the video: https://www.skypixel.com/pilot/videos/share/crash-from-70m?account=tony-mc-_user
2016-3-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

tony.mcdonough Posted at 2016-3-12 07:37
Hi, recently my DJI phantom 3 fell from 70 meters up because the motors cut out mid flight, after fi ...

I am sorry for your crash, yes the CSC is a safety feature so you can shut off your aircraft in case of an emergency (headed into a crowd or something like that).
It's noted in the manual, here's a great video that all users should watch.
2016-3-12
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-8 18:29
If you lost video prior to it hitting the water it wasn't CSC. You had another failure of some typ ...

Not true. Had Dji state csc caused my bird to fall from 160 ft up. The video on sd showed losing video(or cut off) right before the "csc" and stopped recording right before the drop. The video cached by Mobil device shows the "fall" and the crash
2016-3-12
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

I was using home lock and was descending and coming home when csc was initiated . 731$ invoice ouch
2016-3-12
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

mal6514 Posted at 2016-3-12 08:47
I was using home lock and was descending and coming home when csc was initiated . 731$ invoice ouch

Why would you use CSC at all in the air, unless your blades were about to do damage to someone?

I haven't read the entire thread recently, but the OP seemed to not know what CSC means.  CSC is Combined Stick Combination.  The word combined means a combination of more than one thing at the same time.  Two sticks IN and DOWN is CSC.  ONE stick fully down is NOT CSC.
2016-3-12
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-3-12 13:26
Why would you use CSC at all in the air, unless your blades were about to do damage to someone?

I ...

Of course I didn't do it on purpose . I understand what it is and how it works , so my only guess was I musta performed it on accident while yawing , desCending and not paying attention But it is what it is . I t happened and it's coming out of pocket .     Also csc isn't just what u described it's also Both sticks down and out  also
2016-3-12
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

mal6514 Posted at 2016-3-12 10:46
Not true. Had Dji state csc caused my bird to fall from 160 ft up. The video on sd showed losing v ...

Strange. A csc should not render video useless. Im following this thread closely.
2016-3-13
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

I use full down stick all the time. Never have a shutdown. Now, I don't do a full left stick in conjunction with right stick. Due to csc.
2016-3-13
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

mal6514 Posted at 2016-3-12 10:46
Not true. Had Dji state csc caused my bird to fall from 160 ft up. The video on sd showed losing v ...

Ok.  I understand what you meant. Video shut down after csc but video feed continued until it hit water. That is interesting indeed. I had no idea csc also killed video when recording. Do you remember doing anything radical with the right stick when it happened?
2016-3-13
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
United States

mal6514 Posted at 2016-3-12 10:47

Just saw this....home lock plus down left stick is bad news. Just use rth and never use full down in or out with both sticks. Sorry for your loss. Sad day.
2016-3-13
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

Yea sucks majorly. 731 $ invoice to fix it. And my remote was rattling before the csc.no warranty on each so total loss   Thank god for that eBay 799 pro deal
2016-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules