Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Stripped screw head
5347 6 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hjf
lvl.1

United States

I started on a ribbon cable replacement last night, but managed to bugger the top of one of the screws holding the gimbal to the base.  (Yes, I was using a proper screwdriver.)  So now I have a useless screw head in the bottom of a recess.  These screws are so tiny I can't imagine a screw extractor that small, and it's too far down to cut a slot w/ a Dremel.  I just put it aside last night; and I'm headed over to my local (and fortunately extraordinary) electronics store today for their advice; but surely I'm not the first to do this.  Any suggestions/solutions?
2015-5-22
Use props
PanamonCreel
Second Officer

Mexico

use a drill slightly larger than the outer thread diameter to remove the head and remove the remaining stud with pliers once the gimbal is off.  Best would be a left hand drill ( hope your good in grinding small drills )  since it might also grab and remove the whole screw without the need of the pliers.
2015-5-22
Use props
hjf
lvl.1

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-5-22 22:06
use a drill slightly larger than the outer thread diameter to remove the head and remove the remaini ...

Thanks.  The SO (who apparently doubts my fixit skills) is already aghast that I'm taking apart this expensive toy instead of sending it to professionals.  I'm initially trying to spare her the trauma of seeing me take a drill to it.  :-)  Still, that's what I'm thinking will be the solution.
2015-5-22
Use props
malewis
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Before using any power tools use the best fit flat head screw driver and put all of your strength in keeping the bite.i got some Stanley drivers as they are strong coated metal good luck.
2015-5-22
Use props
hjf
lvl.1

United States

malewis@live.co Posted at 2015-5-23 01:56
Before using any power tools use the best fit flat head screw driver and put all of your strength in ...

Yeah, tried the flat head trick already.  I'm going to try again before attacking it with the power drill though.  Off to Harbor Freight after work.
2015-5-22
Use props
yorlik
lvl.4

United States

wonder if you could make a new flat head screw driver slot on the screw with tiny end dremmel?  just grind two flats/channels into that rounded out center to OD of screw?
2015-5-22
Use props
Raybro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Be careful about putting pressure on the screws with Phantom resting on the prop shafts. The motors could easily get damaged.
2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules