Indoor Position Drift?
7489 14 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Not sure if I have a problem or not...  

When I fly indoors in my living room the P3 will not hold position.  I have the quad in GPS P mode.  It is seeing 11 sats.  

I thought the bottom facing camera & ultrasonic sensors were supposed to hold the position.  Instead it will drift around in a 6 foot radius.  It also does not hold altitude.  I have a hardwood floor with wool rugs with very distinct (high contrast) non repeating pattern.  The position detecting camera should have no issue seeing contrast on the floor.

I have Firmware 1.1.9 loaded in the P3 and 1.1.8 loaded in the controller.  I am running 1.1.1 for iOS on iPad Air 2.

So what is the downward facing camera & ultrasonic sensor supposed to do?

2015-5-22
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

what are you flying over? carpet? hardwood?
2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Both patterned carpet and wood.  It can't even hold position over the corner of the carpet boundary with the hardwood.  And my Harwood floor is a very light color with dark wood grain knots...

There is plenty of non-repeating objects for the camera to lock on.
2015-5-22
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United States

I just had the same issue on my maiden flight, i panicked and landed straight away ill wait until tomorrow when im outdoors i almost flipped it on its side when putting it back down - Adam
2015-5-22
Use props
Lurvis
lvl.2

United States

Yea....this caused my first and only crash so far. Luckily it was into a padded couch and padded carpet so nothing was damaged except a few minor marks on the props. I don't trust it inside, but outside it is like a dream.
2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Adamation Posted at 2015-5-23 13:34
I just had the same issue on my maiden flight, i panicked and landed straight away ill wait until to ...

Do NOT pull both sticks down & center to shut off the motors.  This will make the drone flip over.   The DJI instructions are WRONG.

To shut down motors pull the throttle stick down and hold for 2-3 seconds.  This is the only safe way to do it.
2015-5-24
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

It needs a lot of light to work well. The first time I tried it it did drift a bit, but the light wasn't that good. The second time I tried there was lots of light and it held position perfectly.
2015-5-24
Use props
challenger451
lvl.2

United States

Alterastro Posted at 2015-5-25 06:31
It needs a lot of light to work well. The first time I tried it it did drift a bit, but the light wa ...

I'm having the same problem with drift inside.  I was shooting a church with the lights on, mid morning, and stained glass windows.  Plenty of light.  It does have carpet.  Is there any adjustment that can be made on the PH 3?  Could it be a flaw in the blades or a difference in motor speed at idle?
2015-5-31
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

When you are flying indoors or in places with bad visibility of the sky you should fly the Phantom (does not matter which version) in attitude not GPS because in such places the signal from the satellites arrives at the receiver bounced several times causing a noisy / erroneous positioning making the drone believe that is moving when in fact is not.
2015-5-31
Use props
challenger451
lvl.2

United States

isaache Posted at 2015-6-1 03:57
When you are flying indoors or in places with bad visibility of the sky you should fly the Phantom ( ...

I've the had the same problem and found this great tutorial on the phantom 3 pilot app.  Re-calibrating the IMU fixed the problem for me.  Here is the YouTube link to the tutorial.  This turtorial should be a must for every new Phantom pilot.

2015-6-1
Use props
sms14411
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111621 ft

United States

That was a GREAT Review of the DJI Pilot App.   I wish I had seen this when I first got my aircraft.   However, I did learn some additional things by watching your video.  Thanks
2015-6-3
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Fantastic video!  Great post.
2015-6-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thank you @challenger451, the video was helpful and showed me a couple things I was unsure about.
I look forward to watching it again when I receive my Phantom 3 Professional, likely this coming Monday...

RedHotPoker
2015-6-5
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

2015-10-20
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Later firmware updates have taken car of most of this issue.  But I have found the visual positioning system needs bright light and plenty of contrast on the floor to function at all.  Dimly lighted interiors just don't work.  Frankly... I fly in ATTI mode indoors.  Don't trust the computer indoors.  I would rather fly manually.
2015-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules