Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI confuses me a lot
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Brazil

Dear DJI,

As the name of this thread states DJI confuses me a lot. Im an owner of a P4P+ Obsidian and it works perfectly really so no complaints about this. But regarding software compatibilities and strategy im completely lost.

So I have this wonderfull P4P+ and it has the DJI GoPro 4 app this works ok and is as you know a Android app. Than there exists the DJI Ground Station this doesnt work on the P4P+ because this app works only on Apple devices, this confuses me a lot why this app doesnt work on a device which is stated as a top drone and can't use a prper DJI app.
Than looking further at the DJI site I see that there is the DJI Flighthub which as far as I can understand a PC application and DJI Pilot works with both Android and IOS. And to finish the story now DJI is going to work with Microsoft to create apps for controlling drones. Whaaaaaa would'nt it be cool to choose or just one platform or make it compatible with all platforms? This confuses customers and even frustrates them. Do I need to by a new controller and an Apple tablet just to be able to make use of DJI GroundStation and in the future a tablet that works with Windows?

I think this all is not really customer friendly and should be improved

Happy flying!

Ray
2018-7-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Perhaps it is not that surprising given DJI's approach to software development, which anyone who works in real software development will tell you is an utter dog's breakfast.
2018-7-23
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Brazil

Well I would expect form a company as DJI that they have a good software development team. Im not a proffessional in software design but I program some for hobby  and can iunderstand that it is not easy but DJI is a huge company so I think they should have fixed this by now. There is a thread where being stated that they working on it but this thread started in 2015!!!!!!!!!
2018-7-23
Use props
Odan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 182913 ft

you should read some of the threads for the other drones like the Inspire.....Talk about trouble.  They will make you feel humble.
Drones will get much better.just wait  and spend money and wait a little more......and spend  some more.
Compared to Model A/C flying    the Phantom is a delight. AND..way less expensive  

You can't guess how much it can cost to fly for less then 2 minutes..

Worse things happen at sea
2018-7-23
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ray_Drone_Pilot Posted at 2018-7-23 15:36
Well I would expect form a company as DJI that they have a good software development team. Im not a proffessional in software design but I program some for hobby  and can iunderstand that it is not easy but DJI is a huge company so I think they should have fixed this by now. There is a thread where being stated that they working on it but this thread started in 2015!!!!!!!!!

Aloha Ray,

Throwing money at a problem does not work any better than refusing to pay extra money for what you want to use.  DJI produces cutting edge technology.  In that process, DJI has to deal with companies that do not share information very well.  The P4 Plus series of Phantoms are based on the Android operating system because it is open source.  The iOS of Apple products is closed source.

Ground Station was developed way before the P4 Plus series and so GS was not developed with P4 Plus functionality in mind.  With the Ground Station foot in the door, DJI was able to update it for iOS as they developed new product.  But, still, iOS is not an open source system.

Meanwhile, you have the best consumer drone technology available in the World at your fingertips.  If you want the extra bells and whistles, you will have to pay for it.  Sure, if DJI wanted to throw money at problems, they might have even come up with an Android version of Ground Station, but then we may not have the cutting edge technology we enjoy with the current DJI products.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Brazil

Ok well maybe im expecting more than I should be. But I've seen threads here that DJI promissed in 2015 to make a GS for android. Anyhow this thread was not to tell here that i'm not happy with what I currently have not at all. In fact I'm verry happy just throwed some thoughts around here.

thanks for the answers though

Grtz

Ray
2018-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ray_Drone_Pilot Posted at 2018-7-24 04:44
Ok well maybe im expecting more than I should be. But I've seen threads here that DJI promissed in 2015 to make a GS for android. Anyhow this thread was not to tell here that i'm not happy with what I currently have not at all. In fact I'm verry happy just throwed some thoughts around here.

thanks for the answers though

But I've seen threads here that DJI promised in 2015 to make a GS for android.
Did you see an official DJI person promising .... or some nobody saying that DJI promised?

As GS Pro was not released until January 2017, no-one was promising anything about it back in 2015.
Before that, Ground Station was a completely different program and it never set the world alight.

If you wanted to do mapping with your Phantom, you could be using something like DroneDeploy or one of the other mapping apps (they are all better than GS pro).
You'd just need a regular (non+) controller.
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 2018-7-24 05:14
But I've seen threads here that DJI promised in 2015 to make a GS for android.
Did you see an official DJI person promising .... or some nobody saying that DJI promised?

Wow thats interestinng let me try to find the thread back cause maybe im the one who is confusing the stuff here, apologies for that if so.
2018-7-24
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Brazil

See the link below

https://forum.dji.com/thread-1358-1-1.html

DJI-Tenna wrote even in 2014 that DJI is working on it. But maybe this is that app that was different as you mentioned, and I did not know about that.
2018-7-24
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

I can follow your wondering. Personally i don't care about the apps but would like to use a PC for flight planning, i actually thought that Assistant2 was, among other tasks meant for this use, but no just a FW flash tool.
There's gotta be some way to create a flight plan and transfer it to the +, without the need for running an app on that little display to do the planning. When advertising the + as a complete aerial imaging solution, something for sure is missing to be complete.
2018-7-25
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
Second Officer
Brazil

I agree KenDK  the reason why I opened this thread was just show my thought that DJI has wonderfull state of the art drones IMHO but regarding the software it could be improved a bit more. But again that just my opinion and who am I.
I would like to have a nice app on my pc as well to plan a flight etc made by DJI, maybe in the future this will come ;)
2018-7-25
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. We apologize for the inconvenience you're having right now. I understand that you want to have the most convenient option as much as possible. However, the GS PRO can not support android device. And the remote controller with built-in screen support to install the other apps, but there will be some compatible issue. We just provide a channel to install the other apps, but we can not make sure all the other apps can be used perfectly in the remote controller.
2018-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules