Does the IMU warm up faster after new 1.1.9 firmware?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Many people noticed that the IMU can take quite a long time to "warm up", meaning we have to wait a while before taking off (always good to make sure it has a homepoint and plenty of sattelites but the Phantom 3 does that super-fast now (thank you GLONASS) compared to the P2V+ where it was sometimes a long wait for enough GPS-satellites).

I just did the Firmware 1.1.9 update. And my first flight after that, the IMU-warm-up-time was very short.

Now the question is - is this a positive effect of the Firmware update (no mention in update log). Or is it simply because the IMU was "warm" from me updating the firmware shortly before?

Is the IMU warm-up an actual physical thing? Actual heat? Ive not noticed it taking less time in warmer situations or longer in cold situations.

-
Buy your DJI Phantom 3, DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Mine s always been super fast anyway, i mean less that 60 seconds, so no complaint from me.
2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I read a thread where people claim that if you calibrate the IMU when the P3 is cold the IMU "warmup" message goes away.  In other words... If you put your P3 in the fridge and chill it down to 38 degrees and perform an IMU calibration....  You will not get the IMU warmup messages any more.
I tried this technicque of chilling the P3 before performing an IMU calibration and it turns on instantly without any error messages.  (I was running 1.1.8 at that time.)  Now I am running 1.1.9 and I still never get a warmup message.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Very interesting buzzcbr and Fulgerite!
When I fly again tomorrow (weather permitting) I will have the chance to notice if the IMU is still fast to go from warming-up to Ready-to-Fly.

If it becomes slow again (perhaps efter doing a new IMU calibration) I might try that fridge-trick

-
Buy your DJI-gear, extra DJI Batteries, DJI Hardshell Backpacks from the DJI Store by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I mean around 38 F or 3C.  And it does work.  
2015-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules