Broken Camera/Gimbal
4042 7 2015-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smittyvette
lvl.2

United States

Bad day....was trying to get a cool shot and ended up making a huge mistake and crashed.  It snapped the camera off of the gimbal.  It was all totally my fault.  Can anyone give me some sort of timing on when I can get a new Camera/Gimbal replacement?  It looks like I may be better to just buy a whole new unit.  Such a bummer.  So mad at myself.
2015-5-22
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Currently there are no spare parts for the Phantom 3 and I have checked with almost every retailer in the states. Most say DJI has told them by the end of this month there are supposed to be some parts available but a good source told me they suspect that will be pushed back 2-3 weeks because of such heavy demand for crafts.

Do you have a local shop that can look at it? Some of the parts may be able to be 3D Printed. The cables are not available yet as that happened to my father-in-law. He severed the 8pin ribbon cable and is still looking to fix it. He also broke the upper gimbal mounting plate and we repaired it with super glue.

Bummer. There is always a camera replacement which is around $539. Here is a link to Advexure. I bought my craft and a bag from them. They seem to be getting shipments every 2 weeks or so. They are really responsive and very trustworthy. https://www.advexure.com/store/dji-phantom-3-4k-camera-part-5/
2015-5-22
Use props
smittyvette
lvl.2

United States

Thank you digitaldave.   Man its a bad day.

2015-5-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear about your mishap.  The P3 cameras are as scarce as unicorn tears right now.  Eventually they will be available for around $550.  But DJI is screwing every camera they can make onto a P3 and selling it as a finished kit.  They are simply not making spare parts available yet.

I might suggest buying another P3 and keeping your crippled bird until the spare cameras are available.  Then sell the repaired bird on eBay...
2015-5-22
Use props
smittyvette
lvl.2

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-23 07:49
Sorry to hear about your mishap.  The P3 cameras are as scarce as unicorn tears right now.  Eventual ...

Thank you.....I appreciate your advice.  Kinda what I was thinking.  
2015-5-22
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Bummer, sorry to hear that.
2015-5-22
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Makes me hurt inside. I feel your pain.

I did see some of those ribbon-cables for sale on Ebay - but they might be for the P2V+ and I have no idea if they would fit. Probably not.

Its a real pain that DJI does not (yet?) sell spare parts - and least but not last, sell parts that makes it possible to repair the gimbal/camera without having to put on a completely new one.

Almost everybody with that sort of accident only breaks the fragile ribbon-cable. That could/can be replaced - rather than trashing a whole camera/gimbal-assembly worth $5-600.

If you're gonna buy a new one, try to tell DJI about how sad you are that you made a mistake. They might give you a discount.

-

Buy your DJI-gear, Phantom 3, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

2015-5-22
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was a little more fortunate - crashed mine on the roof. Suffered only minor damage (mostly cosmetic) and a broken prop. Still flying.

On a positive note - you're one of the first few to have access to parts!

Frankly, I'm so paranoid about potential problems with both hardware and software. I was going to sell my Blade 350 QX3 and focus exclusively on the P3P. After all I've been reading, I decided I'm hanging onto the Blade for a while yet!
2015-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules